Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Fantasy Football (OP updated with leagues)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

By round do you mean all the group games or just the first group games for each team??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nope, that seems to be the gist of it. If you sub a player out though, those points are gone - you can't bring him back in in the same round.

What I'd be interested to know is, say you sub out a player mid-round because he does feck all, what happens if the player you bring in doesn't play? Does the original player come back in, or is it someone else from your bench??

Nope, if you take out a player then he stays out, it doesn't matter if his replacement doesn't play. Alternatively you can leave the substitutions alone, in this case a player who doesn't play will be replaced by your 1st choice sub in that position.

The question I have is this:

I'm starting with Rooney, Forlan and Higuain up front, with van Persie and Fabiano on the bench.
    Now, say Rooney and Forlan score well and Higuain does feck all, so I bring in van Persie for him. If van Persie then does poorly can I take him out again for Fabiano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I'm starting with Rooney, Forlan and Higuain up front, with van Persie and Fabiano on the bench.
    Now, say Rooney and Forlan score well and Higuain does feck all, so I bring in van Persie for him. If van Persie then does poorly can I take him out again for Fabiano?

Yep, exactly right.

Can someone tell me...is Zambrotta guaranteed a start for Italy? I'd prefer go with Cheillini, but higher chance of an assist or something from Zambrotta I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Yep, exactly right.

Can someone tell me...is Zambrotta guaranteed a start for Italy? I'd prefer go with Cheillini, but higher chance of an assist or something from Zambrotta I think.
    He played the vast majority of their qualifiers as far as I recall. After that, I dunno! I have him in my squad anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yes, that's the way it looks to me.

The one thing to remember (which I missed reading before) is that there are no Automatic Substitutions if you do even just 1 Manual Substitution.

Now that I've got a handle on these funky sub rules, this game is starting to appeal to the hardcore FF gamer in me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Picking my squad now, have to say slightly confused with this substitution thing, can anyone simply clarify it, I take it is only worthwhile substituting a player if he has scored badly in a match, in the hope that the player you bring in scores better.

When they talk about players points being lost until the next round, do they mean the second match that team plays in or actually the next stage of the comp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's A Bit Chile have entered :)

b4gs3k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's pretty straight forward really.

You pick your first XI based on which teams are playing first. If one of those players plays sh*t then you can manually bring in a sub.

If the replacement plays even sh*tter then it's tough titties, you can't bring in the original player again, but you can use another sub who has not yet played.

Alternatively you can pick your best XI as per normal and let auto subs kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are a load still pending for the Sky one Xavi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are a load still pending for the Sky one Xavi.

As in waiting to be accepted?

I've nothing to do with that (I'm only doing the official one). Somebody else has set that up and I just put the code in the OP so they have to do all the requests as per them being the admin.

Bah, I've already changed my team :o

t9v9rl.jpg

Are you drunk by any chance Archie?

Are you drunk by any chance Archie?

Nope :o

What made you think that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OPENROAD in , just waiting for approval for league :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

One question regarding subs, can you alter your formation when making one of these subs by say bringing in Cordozo for Kyriakos? Or does it have to be like for like

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Team atm is -

Neuer

Maicon
    Lamh
    Zambrotta
    Bastos

Sneijder
    Xavi
    Hamsik

Messi
    Villa
    RVP

Notable players on the bench, Rooney, Bender, Malouda, Krasic, Honda, Gonzalez, Ivanovic and King.

One question regarding subs, can you alter your formation when making one of these subs by say bringing in Cordozo for Kyriakos? Or does it have to be like for like

It has to be like for like, you must maintain the formation you started that gameweek with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It has to be like for like, you must maintain the formation you started that gameweek with.

I read the rules as it doesn't have to be like for like as long as your final formation is legal, ie if you have 4 Def you can swap one out for a midfielder as 3 Def is still a legal formation.
    The player chosen to bring in must adhere to the formation rules. E.g. if you only have 3 defenders in your starting 11, you may not replace a defender for another midfielder as there is no legal formation with only two defenders.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I read the rules as it doesn't have to be like for like as long as your final formation is legal, ie if you have 4 Def you can swap one out for a midfielder as 3 Def is still a legal formation.

Ya, I think you're right actually.. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Thanks guys, great news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Need to know who is englands starting goal keeper for my fantasy football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

eeeek, I've left it a bit late. Need to put a team together asap....... signing up to the mcdonalds one.

Anyone tell me who are the "best buys". There's always a few undervalued players etc....
    And who do ye think are the must haves?

I only started doing this FF for the first time in the Premier League last season, got the hang of it right at the end.

This is different though, its not like the PL where you have a couple of big teams that you can depend on for all games because the players on the top teams could actually be rested in the third game if first place is assured.

I don't think that taking Villa, Rooney, Fabiano and Messi is such a good idea because you'd expect at least 3 of them will be rested in the last group game as their teams will have already qualified. Or at least thats the way I'm looking at it.

I've looked at it from a point of view of having the best players available to play against the weaker nations. Only one transfer is tough in this format. The defenders are interesting, I've been looking at it very closely, at the moment I have all fullbacks and expensive ones but I'm starting to think that maybe good defenders for weaker teams is a better option due to the scoring.

One absolute no, no for me is Dani Alves, he doesn't always start for Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Whos is the argentina first choice keeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The Alabama Hotpockets are ready to roll!!!! I think I'll be introducing a few lads from the bench at some point!

WCFF.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Whos is the argentina first choice keeper?

Romero

Any word on Iniesta??? If he's only in danger of missing the first game I'll bring him in anyway

One absolute no, no for me is Dani Alves, he doesn't always start for Brazil.

Really? I would have thought he was a definite started for Brazil :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

forgot about this - very quick decisions =

Buffon

GAXA
    LUGANO
    C SALCIDO

SNEIJDER
    DE JONG
    VERON
    XAVI
    DEMPSEY

YAKUBU
    MESSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

jimbling wrote: »
    Really? I would have thought he was a definite started for Brazil :confused:

Maicon is the first choice right full the vast majority of the time. Alves was brought on as a sub in some friendlies playing ahead of Maicon. (Scary thought).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

2yki3xw.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

does Burdisso start for Argentina? Or is there any discernible pattern to Maradona's selections?

does Burdisso start for Argentina? Or is there any discernible pattern to Maradona's selections?

Not really. Sure his plan is to use 4 centre backs in the starting line-up. he is a mad man. Brought a lad who plays in argentina because he was in a dream he had that they won the world cup. No Zanetti. No Cambiasso and a few other gems left out too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

At the advice of Dunphy, i've brought "that Bolton lad" into my team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

McTeam.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

South Africa time is an hour ahead of us, right?

Can someone please clarify something for me urgently.

Can you substitute the captaincy?
    e.g.
    I put my captaincy on Ribery. He plays crap, so I sub him out for Kaka (who hasn't played yet). Does Kaka then serve as captain? Do I still get double points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

South Africa time is an hour ahead of us, right?

Yup.

Sherifu wrote: »
    McTeam.png

FYI, it's very unlikely that Otamendi will start for Argentina. Maradona has been playing Gutierrez at right back in training, and reports have suggested he's favourite to start ahead of Otamendi.

• Advertisement

Can someone please clarify something for me urgently.

Can you substitute the captaincy?
    e.g.
    I put my captaincy on Ribery. He plays crap, so I sub him out for Kaka (who hasn't played yet). Does Kaka then serve as captain? Do I still get double points?

Didnt think you could sub your captain if he has played but could be wrong.

Current team.

wc_ff.jpg

Splainc wrote: »
    Didnt think you could sub your captain if he has played but could be wrong.

I would have assumed not as well, but it's not really that clear in the rules that I have seen.
    Would be really beneficial to know in the next 10 minutes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Current team.

wc_ff.jpg

Clichy doesn't start. In fact he's essentially their 3rd choice left back.

Frisbee wrote: »

As a matter of interest is the whole point of this thread for everyone to pick the very same team? What is the point of all the hints in a game???

As a matter of interest is the whole point of this thread for everyone to pick the very same team? What is the point of all the hints in a game???

I was giving someone some helpful advice. How dare I.

• Advertisement

I was giving someone some helpful advice. How dare I.

Sorry Frisbee that seemed directly at you but it was not intended to. Very good advice but the game is tough enough without telling everyone else what they will find out soon enough anyways and isn't half the fun figuring out the best players, info etc for yourself.

Thanks... got it changed just in time.

I normally do a lot of research for these things, but just haven't had the inclination or the time for this one.....

Sorry Frisbee that seemed directly at you but it was not intended to. Very good advice but the game is tough enough without telling everyone else what they will find out soon enough anyways and isn't half the fun figuring out the best players, info etc for yourself.

Yeah if you want to win your better of keeping things like that to yourselves to give yourself an edge. I just kinda like to discuss different takes on it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Feck wanted to change my captain of the team just missed out ah well anyway good luck to every1 who has entered, hope one of us can win the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My team for this

FantasyTeam.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement