Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport on TV in Australia - Which do you watch?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi folks,

As most people know who have taken the trek down under that the English Premiership is a bit of a disaster to follow religiously like home as with, GAA etc etc.

The main sports you have the option for are Aussie Rules (AFL) and Rugby League (NRL) during the Winter. The A League is there in the Summer over here but just wondering if any of you are like me.

Basically when I came over NRL and AFL were the 2 main sports that are on all the time so although you dont have to choose I find myself now watching a lot more NRL after initially watching a lot of AFL. Both are decent substitute for live sport on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon so just looking to see what peoples preference is (if any!!).

On a side note, the NRL players are absolute thicks but I really enjoy how one of them is always in trouble almost every week! Makes for great news rather than the boring old crap from back home on Sky News, every bit of dirty laundry gets washed in public, like it should be!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I watch AFL religiously but can't stand NRL.

AFL is actually my second favourite sport after football and I go to as many Eagles games as possible.

I watch a bit of the V8 Supercars as well and went to the Perth meet every year
    until the feckers cancelled it. Gotta love those pit girls!

I also go to the Super 14 rugby to watch the Western Force and the A-League is ok, especially now that Perth Glory have signed Robbie Fowler.

I guess you could say I've very much embraced sport over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'm pretty much of the exact same opinion as Xavi when it comes to AFL and NRL. I love watching the AFL every weekend and will pretty much keep an eye on every game, but absolutely despise the NRL with a passion. I know that I'm living in entirely the wrong city to have that opinion but hopefully I'll be getting out of Brisneyland soon enough now, and back to the heart of AFL! There's no better way of spending a Sunday afternoon than going along to a packed MCG and barracking for your team.

I keep up with the A-league when it's on during the summer, and would probably head to a few games over the course of the season, although the last game I went to see was Brisbane Roar vs Wellington Phoenix and it wasn't exactly a thriller and wouldn't inspire me to go see either of those two teams again any time soon! Other than that, I don't really bother with much else, never been the biggest motor racing fan so couldn't care less about the V8s and have just a very passing interest in Super 14s.

I do try get to a few matches of the Australian Open when that's on in January though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I love AFL. Watch it every weekend. I didnt know anything about it before i came here, but ive become obsessed with it now :)
    I hate NRL, but i watch some of the Super 14 every now and then. I started watching a lot of Golf too, since i started playing it. I try and catch the MotoGP when i can, i keep forgetting about it though.

Ive never been a huge sports enthusiast, but ever since i came over here ive been getting more and more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

^ Oi I was the 1st Tassie user on this forum ;)

I used to watch NRL all the time as I only had Free To Air and this was my Rugby Union Methadone. I have since got Fox sports and I never watch league anymore as I much prefer Union. Unfortunately the S14 season and European seasons are nealry over and I suppose I will pick up the League again soon.

I cant stand the AFL and I was never a fan of soccer but I get into cricket over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I watch Womens Netball and Beach Volleyball & NASCAR.
    Can't stand AFL, if it's not on 5 channels there's some group of hacks talking about it on at least 2 channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I also go to the Super 14 rugby to watch the Western Force and the A-League is ok, especially now that Perth Glory have signed Robbie Fowler.

:eek: Robbie Fowler has left Queensland for Northbridge??? Did he not own a stake in The Fury? I'd imagine there'd be a conflict of interest there!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I watch NRL, some AFL, never atch the A-League.
    Keep up with EPL results, and watch a lot of GAA championship games during the winter.
    and UFC everynight on Fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I watch NRL, some AFL, never atch the A-League.
    Keep up with EPL results, and watch a lot of GAA championship games during the winter.
    and UFC everynight on Fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

What I love about here is that the big fights from Vegas etc are on on a Sunday afternoon, fight Sundays are always a wild session. Star City in Sydney is some venue for watching them. Beats watching a blocky internet connection back home at 4am :pac:

Went to Sydney FC vs Townsville, had been on the tear all day and was out having a slash when Robbie scored that cracker :(

Though Holland will be my first choice Ill be wishing the socceroos well. Reckon the critics are being v unrealistic suggesting they wont get out of their group, good manager with average players who play for largely mid table clubs, yet as a unit are a strong force (the Europe based lads anyway). Ill be throwin a few bets down. Anyone who was here in 06 reckon the country will shut down for the big games, late starts to work and all that?

As for rugby, both at home and abroad it never fails to bore the tits off me, so I pass on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've only got like 4 channels on my TV :pac: But I've watched a handful of NRL games and a couple of ("gay")FL matches too. Some of the matches have been good, but I can't say I've been too taken in by the sports really.

Thankfully I've managed to see a couple of gran prixes (on TV) over here though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I watch the afl and nrl and most other sports. I've tried to watch the A-league but the standard is so poor at time it is hard to watch. The only sport I can't watch is cricket..I just don't get the game but the Aussies seem to lve it!

A question for this who say the standard of the A-League is poor - it's poor in comparison to what? The Premiership? La Liga? Or the League of Ireland?

There are a load of internationals playing in the league and it's of a higher standard than our own league back home.

I suppose it depends on your entertainment expectations when watching a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

aido79 wrote: »
    The only sport I can't watch is cricket..I just don't get the game but the Aussies seem to lve it!

I actually forgot about cricket. When I first came over here I hated it but I've found myself getting more and more into it over the past couple of summers and quite enjoy it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

A question for this who say the standard of the A-League is poor - it's poor in comparison to what? The Premiership? La Liga? Or the League of Ireland?

There are a load of internationals playing in the league and it's of a higher standard than our own league back home.

I'd sooner go down to the local park and watch an under 16 game than have to endure an A League match. I went to a few Sydney FC games last season and they were really difficult to watch, the full time whistle couldn't come soon enough.

I'd rank live sports to watch out here as follows:
    1) AFL
    2) Bledisloe cup
    3) Rugby League
    4) Super 14
    5) Lawn bowls
    6) A League

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ye are all missing the point, soccer is crap, no matter what level its played at.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

The standard can be guessed by this somewhat.

The Vice Captain of Sydney Terry O'Flynn was plying his trade with Margate AFAIK before coming to Australia. He had a couple of failed attempts of professional football in England - not sure with who though..to lazy to check Wikipedia.

He is an okay player but would be playing LOI or Irish League now I reckon if he was back home.

A fair point, I think the same when I see Chris Greenacre's name on the scoresheet regulalry.

But then you look at the other end of the scale with players like Fowler, Andy Todd, Carlos Hernandez and Archie Thompson who would still cut it in the Championship imo.

It's very much a mixed bag I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm not really a massive sportsfan, but I do like watchin the AFL, and I have become a Lions fan, which is a rather painful thing at the moment:o

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I must say I never took much notice of any sport other than grand finals etc, firstly because I didn't have fox sports but more importantly because the coverage is so bad. Sports news bulletins as well as newspaper coverage is lame. Half time/after match analysis and match commentary is super-sh1t. No detail, no debate, no proper opinion, just wishy washy commentary.

Just thinking about it, the dude who does the soccer analysis on SBS isn't bad (gelled grey hair, young enough). Although they had Mark Bosnich on for analysis once, urrrrgh.

Super 14 would be the only sport I'd take an interest in due to entertainment value, although I went to one AFL game and loved it.

Does anyone know of a decent sports website or blog for Oz with some decent commentary, opinion and/or humour, let's say like football365.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Winter

• Advertisement

Winter wrote: »

I post there regularly enough and it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

I live in North QLD so the main sport here is NRL, which I've gotten into (not much choice as its all they talk about at work)

Love AFL tho, and follow that live as well as going to local games at the weekends. I was a regular visitor to the MCG and Telstra Dome (at the time) when I lived in Melbourne.

Melbournians are spoiled when it comes to live sport: Tennis open, Melbourne Cup, Grand Prix, >half the AFL teams, and arguably the best NRL and soccer teams in the country. Also regular intl cricket games held in the MCG, which are great craic to attend, even if you dont understand all the rules...

Advertisement