Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens egg size

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Got 3 hybrid hens 2 weeks ago and they have started laying but the eggs are tiny...is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If they just started then yes, you can get all sizes and shapes! I've had a marble size one off my Seramas!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

When will they lay normal size eggs, at the moment they are about a bit smaller than a ping pong ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

What are you feeding them? I was feeding Red Mills pellets but then I switched to Allen and Small and the egg size doubled. I couldnt believe it. I had bought mine down in Cork and had small eggs, then eggs with no shells, etc and so I mixed oyster shell grit in with their feed, but since Ive been feeding them the new stuff, they go nuts for it.

Im down in Cork and theres a stockist here, but you can contact them through their website to find stockists near you. I highly reccomend it, I always get the Practical Poultry magazine and saw the ads for it in. I have some pics actually of how egg size doubled after I changed their feed.

Here a link to a pic of the egg size, I did a blog post on it after as I was so impressed.
    http://gardenofstacey.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/bigegg.jpg

I'm feeding them pelletts ok but can't remember the brand..will check it out later..I don't think they do like them.

From Clonmel Co Tipp, I will try get some for them to see how it goes.. not sure which ones to get tho!

Thanks

If you want any advice re. feed, just ask me! I'll be happy to help. Dont worry about egg size, dont forget, you're not pumping them full of drugs like the eggs you get at the supermarket, so they are going to be smaller, but the sun and free ranging on the grass gives them the healthy egg.

• Advertisement

I also forgot to add that when hens are moved to a new place, it takes them a while to settle, which may be why you're eggs are a little smaller than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

m8 wrote: »
    Got 3 hybrid hens 2 weeks ago and they have started laying but the eggs are tiny...is this normal?

I wouln't worry about the size just yet ,give them a week or two and you should see a difference.Have a look at the size of the egg's in the picture's below.:D

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/479/egg001g.jpg
    http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3519/egg004.jpg
    http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/979/egg005.jpg

They don't like the pelletts they are on at the moment so I would like to get them different ones.

Anyone know where around the Clonmel/Carrick/Chair area where I can get some feed for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

After a few weeks they will get much bigger. Our hens didn't like the layers pellets so we now have them on layers mash which they way prefer. We feed ours a lot of scraps so we mix it in with them.

The told me in the place where I bought the pelletts that just soak them and you have mash...they say it's the same stuff. I'm not sure what to do.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but whats the name of the pellets? Making a mash works, but I only do that in the winter time.

Do your pellets come in a bag or does the shop just fill up a bag for you from a bin.

Forgot to look at the name, they come in a big plastic bag, from what I remember it's a white bag with brown writing on it.

Will see if I can find the name.

The name is Corby Rock Mill

What brand does everyone else use?

Anyone know where I can source a different brand than Corby Rock Mill
    layers pelletts near Clonmel?

Wayyy before layer pellets hens laid normal sized eggs ;). I wouldn't like to eat the same stuff day in day out either. Mine are getting a variety of food, and ignore the layer pellets completly.

I have changed the pelletts and they seem to like them a little better but not 100% sure if they do but this morning I got one big egg ans one small one so maybe it's just a matter of time. :confused:

You wont notice the change within a week until all the nutrients from the feed are properly absorbed.

Try this, although, Ive never looked it up so I dont know if I am actually doing right but my girls LOVE it.

I peel potatoes for the dinner to make roasties every few nights and when Ive peeled a couple, I cook for a few mins in a pot so they soften, let cool and then throw it to them. They love all peelings and thats the treat they get. I agree with Egar too though, they need a variety to produce those lovely free range eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

EGAR wrote: »
    Wayyy before layer pellets hens laid normal sized eggs ;). I wouldn't like to eat the same stuff day in day out either. Mine are getting a variety of food, and ignore the layer pellets completly.

Indeed yes; in the years I kept hens I never fed pellets. Always bruised barley and a variety of other foods. And as they were free range they foraged also.. and yes, eggs of good size.

Mine would jump through hoops for spaghetti :D. If your hens are not allowed to free range then you need to give them something to do, for example buy corn on the cob and hang it in their run, they will have hours of fun trying to get the corn out.

Yep I leave them out all day but they do like something new every day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement