Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balsamic Vinegar/Soya Sauce etc

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I do a lot of cooking and as I use a lot of sauces like Balsamic/Soya I would like to source larger size bottles (and hopefully better value) than you get in the run of the mill supermarkets.
    Anyone know of a "wholesale" type market that is open to the general public ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

for soya, most chinese supermarkets have large bottles. never seen big bottles of balsamic, but then again, quality varies so much, i'm not sure i'd be happy buying a 2 litre bottle of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

any recommendations for a good Chinese Supermarket in Dublin?,
    Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Asia Market on Dury Street
    http://www.littleitalyltd.com/ for the Vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

for soya, most chinese supermarkets have large bottles. never seen big bottles of balsamic, but then again, quality varies so much, i'm not sure i'd be happy buying a 2 litre bottle of the stuff.
    i bought balsamic vinegar in lidl
    what dishes does it compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

In Dublin there's a new place off Grafton Street which will sell oils and vinegars by volume.

Not sure how they'll work out price-wise but might be worth a try:

http://www.vomfass.ie/shopireland/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

There is a shop at 140 north kings street near smithfield called Little Italy,which should do a range off balsmatic vinagers,I find though that lidl and Aldi are cheap and the quality is good,also I much recomend Asia Market for soy sauce,I have been going there many years.Usually pop in there any time Im in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Ok i have to ask and sorry if this is hijacking the thread but i've seen this so much over the last while and it's killing me.

Is it SOY sauce, or SOYA sauce??????????????????
    I've always thought that Soya sauce was wrong because the packaging always says Soy Sauce..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Soy is American and soya is British as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

But it's a Japanese word!!! Surely it should be just one or the other :confused::confused: not the 'American' or 'British' way. I mean, there's only one word for croissant yes? You don't just 'Irish' it up and call it a twisty butter bread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

As Tristram said, to-mate-o, to-maa-to

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_Soy_and_Soya
    Kimia wrote: »
    I mean, there's only one word for croissant yes? You don't just 'Irish' it up and call it a twisty butter bread!
    No, the Germans (Swiss Germans at least) call them Gipfel (summit, as in the peak of a mountain).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

But it's a Japanese word!!! Surely it should be just one or the other :confused::confused: not the 'American' or 'British' way. I mean, there's only one word for croissant yes? You don't just 'Irish' it up and call it a twisty butter bread!
    Whats in a name anyway.both are correct, soy sauce is origionaly chinese by the way,japanese spell it shoyu sauce or something like that.:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ok i have to ask and sorry if this is hijacking the thread but i've seen this so much over the last while and it's killing me.

Is it SOY sauce, or SOYA sauce??????????????????
    I've always thought that Soya sauce was wrong because the packaging always says Soy Sauce..

It is soy sauce.
    It is made from soya beans but
    called soy sauce.
    Soya sauce, is wrong!

Advertisement