Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost of parking in St.Stephens green shopping center.

• 10-05-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I parked in St.Stephens Green shopping center car park last friday afternoon.I was parked there for a total of one hour and 22 minutes.The cost was a whopping €5.40 cents.I thought that was way too much and won't be going there ever again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

They charge 90cent for every 15mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

that's about the same price as parking on a meter too.

fact of life - city centre parking in most cities is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

todolist wrote: »
    I parked in St.Stephens Green shopping center car park last friday afternoon.I was parked there for a total of one hour and 22 minutes.The cost was a whopping €5.40 cents.I thought that was way too much and won't be going there ever again.

you can't really get parking any more central in dublin for shopping, night life etc .. expect to pay top dollar.

If you parked in one of the suburbs and got the bus in and back out you probably would have paid the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

For another 4.60 you could have left your car 24hours where I park! (but I get a deal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

The shops in the city center are taking an economic battering.Overcharging for parking won't bring in the punters.Basic economics that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

The shops in the city center are taking an economic battering.Overcharging for parking won't bring in the punters.Basic economics that.

but the operators of the city centre retail shops don't own or operate the car parks !!!

The carparks will set their prices based on demand for car parking, and at the moment they don't seem to need to reduce their prices to attract business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's €2.80 in Drury Street (I think), so on that basis you would have paid €5.60 there.

Fact of life, parking in Dublin City Centre is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I think thats about the same price as jervis st. also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

TBH Dublin City Centre needs to ' wake up and smell the coffee '

Places like Blanch/LV offer a viable alternative for most of your shopping etc , and the parking is free.

It would not be rocket science for the chamber of commerce to talk to the car parks and work out a deal where you can get some money back if you shop there etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

yes the prices in stephens green are madness, i go to peter marks to get my hair done and grab a bit to eat after and a mosy around the shops and i always pay more than €13, if they had any deals on like jervis do eg after 5pm on thursday you only pay €5 which i have to say i dont mind paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Coogee

Parked in Fleet Street car park on a Saturday a few weeks ago from 9-4. €25.00. What a joke..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Coogee wrote: »
    Parked in Fleet Street car park on a Saturday a few weeks ago from 9-4. €25.00. What a joke..
    What were you expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I tend to go to blanch or liffey valley now for the free parking... even dundrum @ E2 for three hours is acceptable. Don't bother much with town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

the owners of the city centre car parks led the campaign against the bus gate. At prices like that is it any wonder they were so vociferous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Dinkie wrote: »
    even dundrum @ E2 for three hours is acceptable

i think that's more than acceptable tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tullibardine

If I don't park for free I don't shop there, simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If I don't park for free I don't shop there, simples!

planning conditions attached to large scale shopping centres insist on parking charge to make people use public transport.

liffey & blanch were built before these were added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

City Centre parking has been a fact of life for about 17yrs now.
    Yes it's expensive, but it's cheaper than a clamp!
    It's just a pity we have such a bad public transport system..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Coogee wrote: »

Are you serious?????

Feckin hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

91011 wrote: »
    planning conditions attached to large scale shopping centres insist on parking charge to make people use public transport.

liffey & blanch were built before these were added.

I'm not a native of Dublin, but was Stephens green not bulit waaaay before Liffey valley and Blanch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

parked in here ytday for DCM

Think from around 8 bells till 2 bells... = 6 hrs.. cost me €24.50
    Maybe I was blind, or naïve as didn't seen anywhere--costings of parking there!

Many others did also... parked here-as am unfamiliar with Dublin, and thought it would been a safe/secure place to park + close to race both start and finish...

rip of Ireland at its best..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm not a native of Dublin, but was Stephens green not bulit waaaay before Liffey valley and Blanch?

You've got to be joking right ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Pavilions is free for the first 2 hours. After that its €1 per hour. Pretty decent, and there are deals on parking if you work there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wiggy123 wrote: »

Many others did also... parked here-as am unfamiliar with Dublin, and thought it would been a safe/secure place to park + close to race both start and finish...

So you drove into a car park without checking how much it costs and this constitutes a ripoff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Stopped shopping at City Centre long time ago. Best goto Blanch or liffey valley, take your time and shop.

So you drove into a car park without checking how much it costs and this constitutes a ripoff?
    Most people don't check the price before they go into a car park.They usually have a reasonable expectation of not being ripped offed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Most people don't check the price before they go into a car park.They usually have a reasonable expectation of not being ripped offed.

The car park is in the middle of the moxt expensive real estate in the country. Its not a field in the middle of laois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most people expect city centre carparks to be pretty dear, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

bank hol Monday.. does prices not normally change??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

wiggy123 wrote: »

a city centre carpark @ about €3.50-€4 an hour. Seems about the rate I'd expect.
    A few weeks ago I had meetings in Manchester - charge was £20 (€28) for about 6 hours. I didn't think it was particularly expensive for a city centre carpark.

Bigger cities like London and Paris are substantially higher - Expect £50 a day in Central London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You can moan all you want about car park. But there are nearly always at capacity in Dublin City and we still have an unemployment rate of around 10%.

There is a massive opportunity cost with car parks in Dublin City. The likes of St Stephens green shopping car park or BTs Car Park could be demolished and replaced with some of the most valuable retail space in Europe. A lot of these car parks are foreign owned, so you cant really complain about an Irish company ripping off Irish Consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You can moan all you want about car park. But there are nearly always at capacity in Dublin City and we still have an unemployment rate of around 10%.

Dublin's unemployment rate is usually below the national figures by about 10-15% of the national figures, and is currently estimated to be 8.1%

http://www.dublincity.ie/third-quarterly-%E2%80%98dublin-economic-monitor%E2%80%99-launched-0

(just makes the pricing argument stronger, of course)

delahuntv wrote: »
    a city centre carpark @ about €3.50-€4 an hour. Seems about the rate I'd expect.
    A few weeks ago I had meetings in Manchester - charge was £20 (€28) for about 6 hours. I didn't think it was particularly expensive for a city centre carpark.

Bigger cities like London and Paris are substantially higher - Expect £50 a day in Central London
    Why would you park in Centeral London when you have the superb tube trains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

........and there are deals on parking if you work there.

That's one for bargain alerts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Why would you park in Centeral London when you have the superb tube trains?

Have you ever tried to get a car onto the tube? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If anything people should be complaining about the poor quality park and ride facilities.

Amsterdam for example have P+R Facilities that cost 1 euro for 24 hours after 10 am Mon-Fri and the whole weekend and 8 euros per day on the weekdays before 10 am.

They also have a reduced fair for the metro/tram to go from the P+R to the center.

While it's nice to drive directly to the center, it's better to keep cars out of the center as much as possible for air quality/noise/safety reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Used Park Rite in Fleet Street last Monday. Pre-booked for €10, which covered 6am to midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

not a huge fan of how public transport is run in this country.

BUT i don't think its terrible for getting into or from town as thats how its setup. if you live close to a bus or train stop it make complete sense. Its not cheap but then neither is petrol etc, and that before you factor in parking costs.

Why you wouldn't use a park and ride like the one at clongriffin or red cow etc, if they were convenient to your route?

Advertisement