Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcourses..WDF!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Is it just me or is Webcourses acting the complete Bollox today! :confused::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

web courses is trash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Its pretty **** most days there just more people using it for exams now.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

FML!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Wonder who thought a java based web portal was a good idea. All webcourses does for me is prove that learning serious programming with java is a bit of a hack. The solution was bought off Sungard, so even then, it's a poor quality system. Half the time it feels the website is being run off a 500Mhz Celeron with 192 megs of ram. Ironically, there is probably a cluster of 4GB Xeon machines running the site. Had they done it in Perl or C with GCI, I bet it could run on a shoestring and handle 10,000+ users:pac:
    I guess they have to compromise a bit with a crap system in favor with someone to blame should the system cause any trouble. Knowing DIT, they probably shelled out for a 5+ year Tech support contract to boot. Sure, the wireless networks(least in Kevin street) are managed by Siemens. It's always about passing the blame onto another third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

we (our course) just dont use web courses anymore because it is so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

Naikon wrote: »
    The solution was bought off Sungard,

Are people confusing Webcourses with the MyDIT portal??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are people confusing Webcourses with the MyDIT portal??

Yeah Sungard is all the mydit, library & password things, Blackboard is the maker of Webcourses afaik, and on the topic, why DIT wouldnt use a proper unbloated open source solution like moodle i dont know, A few of my m8s had to hand in certain assignments manually to a lecturer via email (late) thanks to webcourses and java crashing on them, Also we can't forget that wonderful "Session already running..." error when in fact there is no other sessions running :rolleyes::rolleyes: , also why do all these great expensive solutions still use frames and JSP :P Both dead technologies imo (Frames even more so)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

yoyo wrote: »
    Yeah Sungard is all the mydit, library & password things, Blackboard is the maker of Webcourses afaik, and on the topic, why DIT wouldnt use a proper unbloated open source solution like moodle i dont know, A few of my m8s had to hand in certain assignments manually to a lecturer via email (late) thanks to webcourses and java crashing on them, Also we can't forget that wonderful "Session already running..." error when in fact there is no other sessions running :rolleyes::rolleyes: , also why do all these great expensive solutions still use frames and JSP :P Both dead technologies imo (Frames even more so)

Nick

If I had my way, I would throw everything on a public sftp server and allow anon access to certain directories depending on your login creds. Every man and women for themselves.
    Much less hassle, and to boot, does not piss of the CS people very much. It's all about passing the buck onto some third party. Webcourses blows up----> Blackboards, you monster!

Naikon wrote: »

If I had my way, I would throw everything on a public sftp server and allow anon access to certain directories depending on your login creds.

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

"hey guys check out how much i know about computers by the way i suggesting some overly complicated retarded solution for a relatively simple task"

• Advertisement

By the way, a guy did a final year project this year (who is honestly probably going to win the class prize) built an educational management system which beats the shit out of web courses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 roz135

they are the biggest load of **** they never work and when theyy do they really take for ever to load :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,692 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

WDF?

Even WTF gets Dub'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

So with an exam tomorrow which I'm only getting a chance to study for now webcourses goes down! Useless bastards this is the second time this piece of **** has ****ed me over the in the past month!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

So with an exam tomorrow which I'm only getting a chance to study for now webcourses goes down! Useless bastards this is the second time this piece of **** has ****ed me over the in the past month!

Webcourses goes down every night, has done all the years of operation from what I remember, seemingly the techs must feel the need for the webcourses server to reboot every night as it usually goes down around this time, it wont be back up until a few hours later unfortunately, just download the notes from the site in future is what I'd recommend,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

While everyone agrees that the system is crap, I doubt it was cheap...but look even at the pc-s in the lecture rooms- most of them are totally out of date without basic free upgrades.

Advertisement