Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed golf

• 10-05-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hi guys anyone interested in forming a speed golf group in ireland?
    i played 18 hole last year in 31 minutes and i am eager to get back into it but would love training partners.
    let me know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Are you fur reel? Would love to know more. How many groups let you play through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

31 minutes? that's unreal. Considering most half decent courses are about 5km from tee to green that's a pretty decent pace for a 5km run never mind running around with a bag on your back and having to stop every so often to take a quick swing.

On a practical level how does it work, is it just like normal golf but no time wasted and running flat out between shots? I know nothing about speed golf so curious. How do you get a golf course that's free also, do you have to be first out at 06:00 or 07:00 to ensure a free run at it? I think the quickist I've even gotten around 18 holes was about 2 1/2 hours which I didn't find particulary enjoyable but then again anything over 4 1/2 hours is too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EnjoyandImprove

i would organise it for early in the morning, have people play in groups of two, get maybe 6 people to start with and see it grow from there, im dead serious btw its great for fitness, you get a round in under an hour if your good and your standard of play will shock you and really make you look at golf psychology in adifferent way, i shoot much lower when im "hit and running"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

i played 18 hole last year in 31 minutes and i am eager to get back into it but would love training partners.
    let me know

Whats the rational behind the speed golf? I've seen it done before but that was for charity, I think doing it for any other reason is slightly daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

no thanks I'm happy waiting for my heart attack to come to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

would love training partners.
    let me know

A guy here by the name of Conno might be interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

So do you tog out in shorts and vest to do this or play in normal golfing gear ? Jeez I would be making maggots after about 2 holes if I tried that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

let me know

Lad , keep them ideas to yourself .. if the women ( wives girlfriends etc etc etc ) heard about this they'd expect us to play it instead of normal timed golf ....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

... a good sprint spoiled.

Whats the rational behind the speed golf? I've seen it done before but that was for charity, I think doing it for any other reason is slightly daft.

All i can explain is why i do it, It keeps me fit / thin (kinda!), it means when i am into it i can play 18 every day without it taking up my whole life (i like me golf), its a great buzz, and you shoot decent scores, it also takes the frustration out of golf, Thems the reasons....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

let me know

At the above rate:eek: it works out at about 1.7 mins per hole:confused: it would take you longer to run the fairway...... never mind playing at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Well OP your definitely lying about 31 minutes, seen as the record is a 65 in 51 minutes.

Sounds like fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

this is the only place im not banned at the mo...

if i want to run ill go for a run. if i wan to golf ill fecking golf as normal, havin banter with the lads instead of panting and pricking around the place like an ejit

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

let me know

where u doing it?

where u doing it?
    i can do it anywhere around dublin wicklow which is presumably the easiest place to get the numbers. in reply to only1steveo the current record,27 minutes set by Jim Carville in Warrenpoint just outside Newry in the 1980s, this broke the record that Steve Scott the famous runner set a good few years back in california (he did 29 minutes) what you are talking about is the combo of score and time, ps Carville is in the guinness book of world records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Michael11

To: Enjoy and Improve:

Contrary to most of these posts, I think it’s a class idea!

I’m cross country runner (so I’d like to think fit as a fiddle) but haven’t trained in ages. I love golf and play off 7 so I think this would be ideal, more-so for the craic/challenge rather than the fitness.

My main concerns are:
    1. (This issue was raised already) Even if you go out 1st thing in the morning you will still be held up by somebody who cuts in on the back nine. It always happens!
    2. If the golf course committee seen you running across the green etc, they’d throw you off.

Having said all that I’d be on for it. I’ve done a few rounds of 18, in less than 1 hour and I wouldn’t be running, though I do move fast. And you are correct; you concentrate a hell of a lot. Better than any boring practice round.

What is your handicap?
    What course(s) are you thinking of doing it on?
    When?

Cheers
    M

Hi Michael,
    Brilliant, thats two now, once we get maybe 5 or 6 people interested i will organise it, yeah i will have to look into the mentioned problems, I will be aproaching the clubs to make sure they are okay with it and so its all above board and we dont have the general managers chasing us down the fairway! to answer your question about people holding you up its a case of just organising it correctly and if you run into a group they always just think its hilarious and let you keep going, i mean once you get through them you will be out of sight. its kinda neccesary to be half decent golfer cus you can imagine a hacker would still be out there for 5 hours!
    i will keep you posted and hopefully we will get a group together, its a great spectator sport believe it or not so i think it will catch on.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JRNEMAN

Hi mate,

I'm michael's brother and we like playing fast golf. Mike posted me on your link and I'd love to play on this team. I've seen it on tv before and it looks class.

Let me know of any update.

John.

OK We have three now, things are looking up! I will aim for the 3rd week in June to kick this off if we can get another few involved, It may involve early mornings initially but I think it will grow to a point where we could have the course cleared for an hour similar to a shotgun start.
    Keep in contact guys
    ta

• Registered Users Posts: 16 wilson8862

I'd be well up for this, OP.....sounds brilliant, especially after enduring a round of 5 hrs+ in a classic yesterday!

Please PM me when you get something organized. Dublin or wicklow suits great, and no problem with early starts (presumably weekends?).

Do you just carry 3/4 clubs, or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement