Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering money from AIB to Oz account

Options
  • 10-05-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Can anyone who has done it explain a few things..where you put in the sort code (BSB) and what currency to choose for 'payment type'? Does this affect fee??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Can anyone who has done it explain a few things..where you put in the sort code (BSB) and what currency to choose for 'payment type'? Does this affect fee??

Typically you won't necessarily have a different BSB and bank account number. You should just have one long IBAN. The online transfer will prompt you for that number.

The fee is 15 for a 'standard' and 22.50 for an 'urgent' transfer.
    Fees here.

When I transfer, I select Euro as the currency and enter the amount in Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you select euros will the Oz bank not charge an extra fee as they will have to t/f the euro amount into aud before putting it into your account.
    I tried that IBAN but it wouldn't accept my account number and BSB. Is an IBAN different to a national account number that you would have in OZ or Ireland..no??? Can you not just choose account number on that screen??

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

My experience would be that you're going to end up paying a fee for the exchange to occur between currencies.
    So if you specify AUD here, they'll do the conversion at a rate that includes their fee. Either way you're paying for the conversion.

If you're struggling to get it to work, I'd suggest giving the local branch a call. They should be able to help you out chop chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Which Australian bank is it? Have you got their SWIFT code?

You will need that to do an international transfer.

Here's a list of them -

http://swift-codes.blogspot.com/2008/01/australian-bank-swift-codes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

I've found paypal the way to go, just for it's ease of use. But the fees are a bit steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I found credit card was the easiest way, cannot remember if it cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if you just use ur ATM card over in OZ to take the money out, it'll cost ya like 2 euro! Then just deposit the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

NikNakOoo wrote: »
    I've found paypal the way to go, just for it's ease of use. But the fees are a bit steep.
    Traumadoc wrote: »
    I found credit card was the easiest way, cannot remember if it cost much.
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    if you just use ur ATM card over in OZ to take the money out, it'll cost ya like 2 euro! Then just deposit the cash!

I'd imagine these 3 wouldn't give the most favourable exchange rate especially if someones looking to transfer a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The cc gave a very good exchange rate as far as I remember.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=42&category=8

Credit Cards
    Best for: Large purchases such as airline tickets, hotel bills, car rentals and restaurant meals

Pros: The biggest advantage to using credit cards while traveling overseas is that credit card purchases are exchanged at the interbank exchange rate, usually the best rate you can get for currency exchange.

Advertisement