Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks

Options

Comments

Love the stuff, been drinking it for years, by far and away the nicest beer, followed by Guinness. A lot of my friends drink it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Black and tan?

Do punters really call it that?? :eek:

Or would the bar-tender punch you in the face? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lovely Pint when its done right. I can see how a dodgy one would put people off though. I love Smithwicks but I had a bad one before and if it was my first I'd never get it again. That said it's one of my favorite pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Don't particularly like any lager or beer, but if I was going somewhere and I didn't want to bring a bottle of vodka i'd buy a few cans of Smithwicks instead, best of a bad lot to me. Wine and cider give me heartburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Wouldn't be a fan. Tried it year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Up there with Harp for shítness. Once was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Had it once, ran through me....no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I like the odd one every now and again, its a bit like guinness where if you get a bad one it can really put you off, but a good pint is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Smithwicks forum

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Its really nice but it makes me fart like a demon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Nice summer thirst quencher as a shandy (red lemonade)!

Nice as a black n tan with Guinness.

Kinda so so on its own, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's not bad. I tend to drink it, but i would much prefer a more UK style hoppier ale.

Galway Hooker is a nice one. Lovleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Started my drinking career with it.
    Last time i drank it as a pint was at the rose of tralee festival.....13 pints following a bottle of sherry........never again.
    No i'm not a wino, the bet was to see who could finish a bottle of sherry the fastest.............I did'nt win.

Lol if i drank 13+ pints nowdays i would be dead.

With tk red lemonade it makes the best shandy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I drink the odd pint of Kilkenny over here if the Guinness is muck. Like Smithwicks, but stronger and with a Guinness head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's completely inoffensive beer (unless having no real flavour is offensive to you!)
    I will fall back on it if in a sh1te bar due to being at a wedding or staying in a hotel, and they have no bottled Guinness or weissbier that I'll drink.
    It tastes of nothing much, is quite refreshing and you can drink it all day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

if i am in a bar that only sells marcobeer then its either that or guinness that i'll drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Have a large Smithwicks now and again. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Drink it when there isn't much choice in certain pubs and if Guinness is not up to scratch in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Not bad, a refreshing alternative to boozing. I like the new branding and from what I have seen the glasses seem to keep the head pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I drink Smithwicks in the pub because I don't like lager or guinness, but I always ask if there's bottles of Macardles to hand before asking for Smithwicks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Des wrote: »
    I always ask if there's bottles of Macardles to hand before asking for Smithwicks
    Bottled Smithwick's is surprisingly good, though I never see it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jemflux

I'm an old at the drinking game and I drank it 30 years ago. It was crap then and it's still crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was under the impression that it was exclusive to Waterford actually :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Des wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it was exclusive to Waterford actually :pac:
    You'd think so, but I drink it in McConville's in Portadown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Aren't pint bottles of Smithwicks popular is some obscure county like Carlow?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pint bottles of Smithwicks are easy to find around Derry, I'd usually get them for a carryout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

great to drink on a long sesh for watching a few games of rugby and the likes but NEVER drink on a night out, especially if theres those horrible plastic cups involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Probably the most tasteless drink I've ever had the misfortune of tasting other than cooking lagers. Might as well drink water TBH. Porterhouse Red, Rebel Red, OHaras Red - all put this firmly into its' place. Tried it a handful of times thinking it couldn't always be so tasteless, but am afraid it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Aren't pint bottles of Smithwicks popular is some obscure county like Carlow?

Yes

Advertisement