Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is my job title!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok i'm somewhat new to the video editing world so bear with me.
    I started creating video's a few years ago, primarily with games and decided to follow this interest and do so for a living..

The question is, i've no idea what job role i actully could call myself.
    I create video's as in full production..
    I'm handed a scenario and a couple of pictures and told to turn it in to a 5 mins spectualar video..
    Through some of these projects i've been forced to learn 3ds, photoshop, adobe premaire, after effects, sony vegas, audio editing tools..etc and all of the dynamics of lighting effects, shadows, masking, merging, sfx..etc, ontop of providing additional illustrations, voice overs and anything else i can think of online to make a video awesome!

question Is... is this a typical video editors job? i mean i don't exactly work with any footage!!!! which is the kicker, because i bet working with footage is an absolutle dream to being handed a few pictures and asked to animate them into a video using all of the tools at once!!

So what am i? as in someone who does all of that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I would go for Motion Graphics Designer..... sounds like an odd job you have though- do you have any portfolio stuff online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

the boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

A Busy Guy With Loads Of Expensive Software.

(Hence My Expensive Prices)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

slave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laptophire

You're a Producer if you're fishing for Production work, and you're a Post Production Supervisor if you're fishing for Post work.

If you call yourself an Editor, you'll only get calls for editing work, and that's clearly not all you're capable of.

"In-House" might be a good keyword to use somewhere on your portfolio page too. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

OK, if you’re being paid enough you’re not a slave.

Editor is to simple a title for most editors these days. But you don't want to claim to be something your not, if you're not ready for that role yet.

You're clearly not the producer because you don't bring in the work and do the production accounts, etc, its handed to you.

You're also not the post supervisor, if you have gained enough knowledge of the production process you could be. But you said that you don't work with moving pictures so that would maybe not be the best title to claim.

I'd go for multimedia editor and motion graphic designer. A good one of these is worth his weight in gold, you'll never be out of work if you can do all that you said you do. If you are in-house you're probably over worked and under paid. I'd do a few nixers, develop a decent client base and go freelance. In recession times everyone is looking for cheap alternatives and a guy with low overheads (home office and no staff costs) and good talent can compete easily on price with the facility houses. The SPI and IFTN web sites list everyone you should contact. Go for it. Do you have a web site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laptophire

@NealB You're absolutely right, I rescind my spur of the moment suggestions and replace them with yours. Well done.

Advertisement