Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

• 10-05-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello.. me & OH have decided to start trying for a baby this year. I'm confused about supplements and don't want to go the chemist until I know what I need.

Is it okay to take pregnacare? It has folic acid and iron, or is it recommended to take any other brands. Can anyone tell me what they take and their diet building up to conception.

I read online that you shouldnt eat coleslaw when you're pregnant, does anyone back this up? Im crazy about it, I go through a tub a week.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sanatagen do a good combo called 'Mother to Be', it has a multivitamin containing a few different vitamins including folic acid and you get Omega 3 capsules aswel.. 1 month supply for about €15.00..

Also I think the guys are supposed to take Zinc to help the swimmers on their way ;)

Re food, I know shellfish is a big NO NO.. also mayonnaise and anything else containing uncooked eggs.. make sure all your meat and fish are VERY well cooked.. I think nuts are also to be avoided incase the baby has an allergy? (could be wrong on that one, I just read it somewhere)

Also if you have a cat, do not change it's litter tray or go anywhere near its feces as theirs a bug called leptospirosis that can be very harmful to your baby..

Can't think of anything else off hand.. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

Thats fantastic advice, thanks so much for the reply Xzanti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Hi there,
    Am currently taking the Sanatogen "mother to be". They do a combo back with a "father to be" for €20 in boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I took the sanatogen one too, but pregnacare is good too. The only thing you really need to take is folic acid, the rest of the vitamilns and minerals can be got through a good diet!

You need to be avoiding supplements which contain Vitamin A as this can be harmful to a developing fetus. Liver contains alot of Vit A so don't eat that.

The thing with coleslaw is that it contains mayonnaise which can be made with raw or unpasteurised eggs. Check the label to see if the mayonnaise is made with pasteurised eggs, if it is then it should be fine to eat. You could make your own either if you get some mayonnaise made with pasteurised eggs (I know Hellmans is made this way!)

Defo stay away from cat poop due to the risk of toxoplasmosis.

Be careful with your cheeses too! Soft cheeses such as motzarella are out! I think they carry the risk of listeria.

If you eat nuts generally in your diet, you should be ok to continue to eat them at the same level as you already do. However, do not increase your intake, or if you do eat them excessively you should cut down. If you don't eat nuts, the recommendation is not to start duting pregnancy.

I would also suggest going to your GP for a general health check and if you haven't had a recent smear test done, it might be worthwhile getting one done before you become pregnant.

If you or your husband are heavy drinkers it might be worthwhile cutting back but theres no need to stop drinking alltogether until you are pregnant. Even if you drink in the early weeks of pregnancy it will not have any effect on the embryo as the placenta does not start to support the baby until 10-12 weeks so the alcohol has no way of getting to the fetus.

If you smoke, stop!

And finally, enjoy trying! Don't be disheartened if it doesn't happen straight away. It takes an average of 6 months to a year to conceive, and sometimes even longer!

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Make your own coleslaw with pasturiesed mayo! All it is is grated white cabbage, carrot and some vinegar mixed with it!

• Advertisement

I

LOL, that's what I meant to say.. Where did I get Leptospirosis from :confused::D

I took the sanatogen one too, but pregnacare is good too. The only thing you really need to take is folic acid, the rest of the vitamilns and minerals can be got through a good diet!

You need to be avoiding supplements which contain Vitamin A as this can be harmful to a developing fetus. Liver contains alot of Vit A so don't eat that.

The thing with coleslaw is that it contains mayonnaise which can be made with raw or unpasteurised eggs. Check the label to see if the mayonnaise is made with pasteurised eggs, if it is then it should be fine to eat. You could make your own either if you get some mayonnaise made with pasteurised eggs (I know Hellmans is made this way!)

Be careful with your cheeses too! Soft cheeses such as motzarella are out! I think they carry the risk of listeria.

If you eat nuts generally in your diet, you should be ok to continue to eat them at the same level as you already do. However, do not increase your intake, or if you do eat them excessively you should cut down. If you don't eat nuts, the recommendation is not to start duting pregnancy.

I would also suggest going to your GP for a general health check and if you haven't had a recent smear test done, it might be worthwhile getting one done before you become pregnant.

If you or your husband are heavy drinkers it might be worthwhile cutting back but theres no need to stop drinking alltogether until you are pregnant. Even if you drink in the early weeks of pregnancy it will not have any effect on the embryo as the placenta does not start to support the baby until 10-12 weeks so the alcohol has no way of getting to the fetus.

If you smoke, stop!

And finally, enjoy trying! Don't be disheartened if it doesn't happen straight away. It takes an average of 6 months to a year to conceive, and sometimes even longer!

Thank you SO much for that info! I was worried about the drinking, we had been out a few birthdays recently and I got upset yesterday about it.

I don't smoke but I do drink, I eat a pack of pistachios nuts every week, I'm addicted to them. I eat coleslaw with everything, as I posted the message yesterday I was eating it with a pizza. Maybe if I get pg I might go off it..lol..

I went the chemist yesterday and got Pregnaplan. It has omegas, folic acid and iron. I took my first after dinner last night and I was so happy, but then I fell asleep at about 8 and slept through till this morning. Weird! I'm ovulating at the moment and we're trying, but we are going to have fun as well. I dont want the beginning to be tainted with sad stares at pregnancy tests at the end of each month, Im going to try my best at least to accept it will happen when it will and thats that.

I am so excited though that I can't concentrate. Its an amazing feeling when you decide to conceive. Nerves and all!

Even if you drink in the early weeks of pregnancy it will not have any effect on the embryo as the placenta does not start to support the baby until 10-12 weeks so the alcohol has no way of getting to the fetus.

:confused: This doesn't sound right tbh???

During the first few weeks after conception the embryo is supported by the yolk sac. Its only when the placenta takes over supporting the growing fetus that toxins etc... in the maternal blood system can cross the placenta to the fetus.

Just to add that I found out I'm pregnant today, GP visit booked for tomorrow morning. What are the odds that the one time you decide to try, you get pregnant?? Freaky! Thanks for the advice guys, I am super excited... and gassy!

• Advertisement

Congratu-well done!

It happened to us too!

Me: "Lets have a baby"
    Husband: "OK"
    Me: "I'm pregnant"
    Both of Us: "Uh Oh!"
    :D

Oh my god! Thanks for telling me that CCL!! Made me feel so much better, thats what happened with us too. One of us must be soooo fertile. I hope the first 12 weeks go okay for me, its my first pregnancy. Docs appointment was grand this morning.. looking forward to the scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's also recommended to avoid nuts if either parent has a nut allergy, eczema or asthma. I'm not sure of the science behind it but it was in my NHS booklet. If neither parent has these problems then nuts should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because the developing baby may have the allergy and everything which the mother eats is translated throught her digestive system and the plancenta to the baby, so with an allgery which can be so serious like that to nuts which can cause anaphylactic shock it is better to err on the side of caution.

Advertisement