Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food

Options
  • 10-05-2010 1:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could anybody steer me in the direction of a site for cheap dog food?

I have a 3 year old Newfoundland and require a 15Kg bag of Science Plan every 4 weeks. Just looking for cheap place as sometimes it can cost upwards of €75

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

www.zooplus.ie or www.zooplus.co.uk (can be cheaper!) are good sites for dog food. www.brendadpets.ie is also a good site for food, there is a "budget food" section that has very reasonable food prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

www.zooplus.co.uk is a good bit cheaper. And they do deals if you buy two bags. I got two bags of James Wellbeloved (15kg each) for €80 incl delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm going to sound like a parrot but Burns dog food is even less on zooplus 15kg bag €53.99 (or 39.99 sterling if ordering on the uk site).
    Just make sure you order well in advance so you get it in time other than that their prices are pretty good.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns

Uk site tends to be cheaper. Free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't know about for dog food, for if you can find your way around the german zooplus site, I've found that's even cheaper for some things! :D But I guess the english site would be easier . . . all the things come from Germany anyway so all the sites have free delivery if you spend that much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

If you want to think about changing brands then also try "bestformydog". My friend has a St Bernard and swears by it. It about €45 for 15kg,. Its an irish operation and they will deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulacork

Could anybody steer me in the direction of a site for cheap dog food?

I have a 3 year old Newfoundland and require a 15Kg bag of Science Plan every 4 weeks. Just looking for cheap place as sometimes it can cost upwards of €75

Not sure why you would want to feed your dog any cheap food as it's not exactly going to do him much good health wise.
    If you're willing to keep a dog, you should be willing to feed them a healthy diet.
    I feed all my animals Natures Menu - not sure where you're based, but you can get it in Sullys Petshop in Cork and online at www.foodforpets.ie
    Price wise, it's extremely reasonable and I've noticed a huge difference in my animals since placing them on this diet.
    Stay away from the cheap foods - you're only going to damage the dog longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

www.brendadpets.ie is also a good site for food, there is a "budget food" section that has very reasonable food prices.
    Second this. My terrier's digestion is much better on their budget salmon and potato than it was on JWB or Orijen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bradley1

changing dog food’s can lead to various illness, few things you need to be aware before switching to dog diet, mainly their digestive systems aren’t as advance as human beings. Branded dog foods are of good quality rather than go for common cheap dog food, as it is too rich in salt, fillers, etc.which can be indicated by bad breath and weakness poor diet can also cause overweight pet that can lead to early arthritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I'm going to sound like a parrot but Burns dog food is even less on zooplus 15kg bag €53.99 (or 39.99 sterling if ordering on the uk site).
    Just make sure you order well in advance so you get it in time other than that their prices are pretty good.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns

Uk site tends to be cheaper. Free delivery.

I use zooplus for all my pets needs, great prices, often good special offers too. I also use Burns dog food and find it great for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paulacork wrote: »
    Not sure why you would want to feed your dog any cheap food as it's not exactly going to do him much good health wise.
    If you're willing to keep a dog, you should be willing to feed them a healthy diet.
    I feed all my animals Natures Menu - not sure where you're based, but you can get it in Sullys Petshop in Cork and online at www.foodforpets.ie
    Price wise, it's extremely reasonable and I've noticed a huge difference in my animals since placing them on this diet.
    Bradley1 wrote: »
    changing dog food’s can lead to various illness, few things you need to be aware before switching to dog diet, mainly their digestive systems aren’t as advance as human beings. Branded dog foods are of good quality rather than go for common cheap dog food, as it is too rich in salt, fillers, etc.which can be indicated by bad breath and weakness poor diet can also cause overweight pet that can lead to early arthritis.

The OP didn't say they are changing their dog's food, just trying to find it cheaper than their current supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

paulacork wrote: »

Not everyone can afford expensive dog food every month, i know i certainly cant, so trying to find the best for your budget is the best option.

I feed Clinivet and its a very good food but nowhere near the price of 70 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Bradley1 wrote: »

I have a 2.5 year old golden retriever.
    He is slightly overweight and has awful breath.
    Can you recommend a food that would be good for him that won't break the bank?

Thanks

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have a 2.5 year old golden retriever.
    He is slightly overweight and has awful breath.
    Can you recommend a food that would be good for him that won't break the bank?

Thanks

What would be your monthly budget for a big bag of food and we can recommend something in that price range for you.

Well, I don't really have a budget per se, I just don't want to pay over the odds.
    Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

What are you feeding at the moment?

Whatever is the current special in Woodies...

I know that sounds bad, but he is thriving on it - he was a the vet last week for a check up and they said that he was in great condition (coat, etc)
    They just said that he was a few kilos overweight - the vet didn't even mention his weight, it was only when we asked.

Does this mean you are chopping and changing his food regularly? If so thats not a good idea at all. Best to stick to the one.

What brand are you feeding at the moment? If your dog is over weight then just reduce the amount of food you give him daily and cut out treats. Try upping his exercise too or do something different with him like swimming, or cycling which should help him lose weight.

I was changing it for him on the basis on trying to give him a bit of variety.

I have dropped the ammount of food and cut out almost all treats. He also does well on the exercise and he swims a lot.

When I came onto this thread it was really to see if I could do something about his foul breath - I can work with him on the weight...

He refuses to let me brush his teeth and when I force him it cuts his gums. He wolfs down dental sticks, so he really gets no benefit from them.

So any suggestions on feed and breath please?
    thanks

What brand are you feeding?
    This could have a big effect on his breath so let me know what it is and i can advise you. SOme of the cheaper foods dont do dogs well at all and this could be the reason his breath is affected.

If you can get him a marrow bone from the butchers it will help to clean his teeth a bit. I would cut out the dental sticks or cut down at least, this could the reason hes over weight.

• Advertisement

I think the brand is Red Mills

Ok, well Red Mills isnt bad, as long as its the Leader or Supreme range and not the star or other cheaper one.

Not sure really what will help his breath unless you go to a much more expensive food so really depends on what you are prepared to spend on food per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I was changing it for him on the basis on trying to give him a bit of variety.

I have dropped the ammount of food and cut out almost all treats. He also does well on the exercise and he swims a lot.

When I came onto this thread it was really to see if I could do something about his foul breath - I can work with him on the weight...

He refuses to let me brush his teeth and when I force him it cuts his gums. He wolfs down dental sticks, so he really gets no benefit from them.

So any suggestions on feed and breath please?
    thanks

I have found giving whole raw carrots to much and gnaw on helps to clean their teeth, this is what my groomer reccommended and so far its working. Also raw bones are good, my fella gets 1 or 2 chicken wings a week, his teeth are pearly white and his breath is reasonably good, not expecting it to smell minty but it only has a slight doggy odour off it. If your giving him bones just make sure that they are raw and not cooked.

Can you see into his mouth to see what state his teeth and gums are in? Are his gums red and inflamed and are his teeth covered in yellow plaque? Next time your at the vets get your vet to have a look in his mouth to make sure none of his teeth are rotten, or that he doesn't have gingivitis. If there's a lot of plaque you can have them descaled while under anaesthetic.

If its the pedigree dental sticks don't bother with them, Iv found them useless and they contain loads of additives, preservatives, sugar and plenty of other crap. Carrots and raw bones are much better for them and cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I second the carrots! I freeze them and my pair love them. They take a lot longer to eat then the dental sticks and they don't do them any harm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

LisaO wrote: »
    What are you feeding at the moment?

She is on Science Plan Large Breed.
    andreac wrote: »
    Does this mean you are chopping and changing his food regularly? If so thats not a good idea at all. Best to stick to the one.

What brand are you feeding at the moment? If your dog is over weight then just reduce the amount of food you give him daily and cut out treats. Try upping his exercise too or do something different with him like swimming, or cycling which should help him lose weight.

No I am not chopping and changing her food. As above, she is on Science Plan. She is 49.70 Kg at the moment. I am just looking for a place to get Science Plan cheaper, I didn't mean cheap food.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

No I am not chopping and changing her food. As above, she is on Science Plan. She is 49.70 Kg at the moment. I am just looking for a place to get Science Plan cheaper, I didn't mean cheap food.

I dont think those comments were aimed at you but someone who posted after you on the thread!

No it wasnt aimed at you, it was to the other person that replied about their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Ditto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Petmania in Santry is currently selling Scienceplan 15kg bags for 49.99. Think their normal price is 67.50

• Advertisement
Advertisement