Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running trails around campus?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

While I'm at it...maybe not the most appropriate thread but couldn't really see anything better...anyone know if there are any good running trails/routes around campus?

Any other Canadians living over there / anyone who uses facebook?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not really the thread for it, I advise you to start your own one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

While I'm at it...maybe not the most appropriate thread but couldn't really see anything better...anyone know if there are any good running trails/routes around campus?

Any other Canadians living over there / anyone who uses facebook?

Thanks

There is a nice route down by the shannon river running towards Thomond castle. Ask directions when you get here. There is also an indoor and outdoor running track for quicker work.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

There are loads. I've been in UL now 4.5 years and I still come across new ones now and again! I just take a turn or path I've never taken before.

The main one is the riverbank - the easiest way to get onto it is either by going down the road beside Kilmurray Village reception or the path behind the PESS building.

By going left your heading towards town/corbally. After about 2 miles you'll come to a white bridge over the entrance to the canal - going left here will bring you out at the roundabout near Trinity Rooms after about another 1.5miles. Going over the white bridge and going right will bring you out to corbally bridge after another mile. The usual thing is then to turn back and head back the way you came. There is another way back by going over corbally bridge but its hard to explain (and its also on the road).

By going right on the entrance to the riverbank will lead you up towards Bohs rugby pitches, about 3.5 miles up. The path is mainly grass and not as smooth.

There are many paths leading off the riverbank along the way which you can take to change things up.

The black pedestrian bridge near Thomond Village is still closed I think so to get to the other side you can either cross Thomond bridge or the Living bridge and head towards Cappavilla Village. Follow the road towards the carpark and just before the entrance theres a footpath leading down a small road on the left. At the end of the road go left (right is a dead-end after about a mile), and after about 150metres theres a gate back on to the riverbank on the left hand side. This leads in behind Thomond Village and you get back out by the new path that leads back under Thomond bridge. By following the road instead (either going straight-on or taking the right after the pub) will lead you onto quiet back country roads.

The campus itself has plenty of paths, so say if your starting at the arena you can run a full lap of all the pitches (total 1 mile), come back out by the track, head out by the all-weather pitches, down the steps by the PESS building, back up the steps behind it, across the green in front of Plassey house, cross the Living Bridge and across Thomond bridge, pass the Schumann fountains, out the main gate, turn left, pass by Milford hospice and church and back in the east-gate.

Castletroy is pretty good for running too as you can make loops easily enough and some of the roads have grass verges. The golf-links road is nice and you can follow that around to Superquinn, or you can go out by the Industrial estate and loop back around by the Kilmurray Lodge Hotel.

This is just a sample!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

And I thought my response was good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I imagine most Canadians who are here will be heading home fairly soon, end of exams and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

There are loads. I've been in UL now 4.5 years and I still come across new ones now and again! I just take a turn or path I've never taken before.

The main one is the riverbank - the easiest way to get onto it is either by going down the road beside Kilmurray Village reception or the path behind the PESS building.

By going left your heading towards town/corbally. After about 2 miles you'll come to a white bridge over the entrance to the canal - going left here will bring you out at the roundabout near Trinity Rooms after about another 1.5miles. Going over the white bridge and going right will bring you out to corbally bridge after another mile. The usual thing is then to turn back and head back the way you came. There is another way back by going over corbally bridge but its hard to explain (and its also on the road).

By going right on the entrance to the riverbank will lead you up towards Bohs rugby pitches, about 3.5 miles up. The path is mainly grass and not as smooth.

There are many paths leading off the riverbank along the way which you can take to change things up.

The black pedestrian bridge near Thomond Village is still closed I think so to get to the other side you can either cross Thomond bridge or the Living bridge and head towards Cappavilla Village. Follow the road towards the carpark and just before the entrance theres a footpath leading down a small road on the left. At the end of the road go left (right is a dead-end after about a mile), and after about 150metres theres a gate back on to the riverbank on the left hand side. This leads in behind Thomond Village and you get back out by the new path that leads back under Thomond bridge. By following the road instead (either going straight-on or taking the right after the pub) will lead you onto quiet back country roads.

The campus itself has plenty of paths, so say if your starting at the arena you can run a full lap of all the pitches (total 1 mile), come back out by the track, head out by the all-weather pitches, down the steps by the PESS building, back up the steps behind it, across the green in front of Plassey house, cross the Living Bridge and across Thomond bridge, pass the Schumann fountains, out the main gate, turn left, pass by Milford hospice and church and back in the east-gate.

Castletroy is pretty good for running too as you can make loops easily enough and some of the roads have grass verges. The golf-links road is nice and you can follow that around to Superquinn, or you can go out by the Industrial estate and loop back around by the Kilmurray Lodge Hotel.

This is just a sample!

You make it sound so tempting to go running!! If only i wasnt too lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    You make it sound so tempting to go running!! If only i wasnt too lazy :D

UL is actually a really nice campus, especially for running, or even just going for walks, probably the nicest of all the ones in Ireland for green areas, trees, etc. Within 5 minutes of starting a run you can be in the middle of the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

UL is actually a really nice campus, especially for running, or even just going for walks, probably the nicest of all the ones in Ireland for green areas, trees, etc. Within 5 minutes of starting a run you can be in the middle of the countryside.

I agree with you there, I love taking walks down by the river whenever the weather permits. And hopefully will get less lazy and actually go for runs around there over the summer.

Advertisement