Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How old is your Mobile?

• 10-05-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

With mobile phones being so susceptible to fashion trends and people changing ever 12 to 18 months I believe I have the oldest mobile still in use today.

I have had my Nokia since March 2006, that’s 4 years and 2 months. (Ok I did have to change the battery twice)

Can anyone beat that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I have a Siemens C25 since 1999...........................beat that, respect due!

Its so retro and I love the ringtones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have my original mobile which I was given 10yrs ago - march 2000 (I dont use it - but it still works)

Phillips Savvy I think it is....have a load of old phones at home, none of them worth much and I'd rather keep them as back-ups than sell them to Envirophone or one of these companies that pays you for your mobile then strips them down and sells the parts - making them a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have my original mobile which I was given 10yrs ago (I dont use it - but it still works) .

You have it use it ever day. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I've one of old Blackberrys. Does the job.About two years old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My phone got in a huff when I asked it, thanks OP. :mad:

I know plenty of people that are desperately holding onto old simple to use phones because they don't want cameras and internets and touchscreens, they just want a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Winty wrote: »
    You have it use it ever day. Sorry

Damn...........

.......I dont use it every day.......touche Winty touche!!

benwavner wrote: »
    I have a Siemens C25 since 1999...........................beat that, respect due!

1999 is a winner but do you use it every day? thats the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

winty wrote:
    I have had my Nokia since March 2006, that’s 4 years and 2 months.

Ummm......
    Congratulations?!?? :confused:

Mines about 3 years old it replaced one that was nearly 5 when it died!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

6 years and going strong. Good old Sony Ericsson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I have had my Nokia since March 2006, that’s 4 years and 2 months. Can anyone beat that?

Oooohhh, you just beat me. I've had my Nokia 6020 for just under 4 years. It's so faded and scratched that there isn't so much as a logo to identify it, but I'm pleased with that. I don't think it makes sense to spend a few hundred every year on a new phone.

I've had my MP3 player, a Sony NW-HD5, for 4 and a half years now too. Still works perfectly, so why bother replacing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

nokia 6030, since feb 2005 :D
    it's my first phone as well :)
    it ain't broke, so i don't bother buying a newer phone. does the job for me. i never really saw the point in having an mp3 player in your phone that just wore the battery down faster. better to have an ALDI MP3 PLAYER, man :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

3 days 4 hours and 20 mins.

I have it just over a year so already thinking of changing it :D. I like to have a fairly up to date phone and a good camera and mp3 player as I have no interest in having a phone, camera and mp3 player when I can have them all in one.

I have had about 8 phones in the last 10 years so just over a year for every phone. I think I have them all at home bar one maybe. Some of them work still some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    3 days 4 hours and 20 mins.

3 days, four hours and 23 mins now

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Have mine about 3 years I think. I bought the same model as the previous model I had, and only replaced it as someone dropped it into a pint.

I'm not a fan of new phones that are out, they look too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm extremely hard on phones (aka careless), have gone through 3 so far this year! Have a nice shiny metal one at the moment, hopefully it will survive drops a bit better than its plastic cousins:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dunno, a few years.

I'm actually in the process of changing it and am undecided between the Nokia 6303 or the Nokia 5230, so I'm moving up in the world - onwards & upwards I say!.

Oh yea, late edit!..

I've a Casio G-Shock watch still on its original battery since 1988 :D (I bought it for US$40 in Lebanon).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A few years old but thankfully the mobile is still able to ferry this old fogie around! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Archeron wrote: »
    6 years and going strong. Good old Sony Ericsson.

They're great phones. I've had SE phones for years, but fancied trying out something new. My phone is an LG, its about a year old. Haven't had any problems with it so far, but will probably go SE again after the LG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

With mobile phones being so susceptible to fashion trends and people changing ever 12 to 18 months I believe I have the oldest mobile still in use today.

I have had my Nokia since March 2006, that’s 4 years and 2 months. (Ok I did have to change the battery twice)

Can anyone beat that?

I can beat that, I use a 2002 Nokia 5100 regularly as a second phone. Had it as my primary phone last week when the other was getting repaired.

I still got a 1998 Nokia 5110 as back up if everything else fails. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

2 years till it splashed down in toilet town on Saturday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

I've had my Sony Ericsson w300i for just under 4 years now.
    Awesome phone and I've been looking for another one for when this one finally bites the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I've a Nokia something.
    Can't remember how old it is but it doesn't have a camera - which is why I haven't changed. They are not allowed in work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Have my current phone since 2005. Did get 2 shiny new upgrades during that time but neither lasted a week. The first I had almost a week before accidently dropping it in a river (was a bit tipsy at the time) and the second fell out of my hand beside the road and a car drove over it. Was so p*ssed off that I have stubbornly stuck with the current brick cause it seems that nothing will kill it (and if it does die through further carelessness on my behalf, well I won't feel so bad about it as I did the other two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The longest I ever had a phone was a year. And that was my last phone.
    Im a gadget freak, although i think i will have my current phone for a while (If I dont drop and smash it) HTC Desire. Nice phone. very fragile.

enda1 wrote: »
    They are not allowed in work. :(

Are you a barman in a stripclub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Are you a barman in a stripclub?

Nope.

I'm in research and development.
    Lots of the prototypes hanging around are a bit camera shy, poor things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm still using what I think is arguably the best phone ever (and I used to sell them), it's the Sony Ericsson k750i, about 4 years old now I suppose, just replaed the battery a couple of times and a great battery it is, get 3 or 4 days out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

A three week old iPhone. Drown in my smugness.

Ah that said before that I had a motorola E77 for six years before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

One of my mates carries TWO iPhones around with him! He was explaining to us on Sat night over a few beers that it's just nice to be able to pull out two of them!!!??

I threatened to stop hanging around with him if he ever came up with such boll0x again. Granted he works for Carphone Warehouse, but why would you want two bricks in your pocket at all times? I just like one skinny little phone that I barely take notice of until needed.

I do wish we return to smoke signals in the near future! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I've a Nokia 6*** over 4 years. Not sure what make it is because it is so battered but it has served me and I intend soldiering on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Still have a Nokia 5110 that I use in the car. Phone is about 9 years old I guess.

Solid phone, never let me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

My personal phone is about two months old, iPhone 3GS. Got a new HTC work phone last week. Before that though I'd had my work phone about 2.5 years. Sucks having to bring two phones around a lot of the time.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Got a nifty Nokia 5010 XpressMusic phone for Christmas about 3 years ago. It's great because it also doubles as a mini mp3 player. My ringtone is "Master Exploder". :D
    Granted, the only downside is the fact the battery is dead after less than half a day. Methinks a replacement is in order...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

A 6 year old Nokia, that still has a battery that lasts twice as long as any phone my friends have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've had my Nokia for 5 and a half years, the battery lasts a week, I've dropped it lots and yet it still works better than most of my friends phones. What's better is I was actually paid to take it, it was €49 and I got €80 credit free with it.

I'd like to get a new phone but they all seem to have camera and mp3 players now. I have a perfectly good camera and mp3 player so why the hell would I want one on my phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

5 month old nokia e63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

have this the longest I've had any phone.. bout 5 months now

moonflower wrote: »

I'd like to get a new phone but they all seem to have camera and mp3 players now. I have a perfectly good camera and mp3 player so why the hell would I want one on my phone?

So you don't have to carry around the 3 of them and can have them all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

enda1 wrote: »
    Nope.

I'm in research and development.
    Lots of the prototypes hanging around are a bit camera shy, poor things.

So YOU Leaked the Iphone because you were pissed in a bar!!!

:D

http://gizmodo.com/5520471/the-tale-of-apples-next-iphone?skyline=true&s=i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Have a fantastic Nokia 6310 - since around 2003 or 2004 I think. Best phone ever! Battery lasts for ages, does exactly what I need it to do.

Also have a personal iPhone, and love it but the battery is a bit of a balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I've a 6233, don't know when they came out but I have it at least 3 years, I've received free upgrades 3 times and given the new phone away within days and gone back to my 6233. It still works fine and has a great "hands free" which is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have my mobile 3 months. I wont replace unless the previous one breaks or starts to break down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Have a fantastic Nokia 6310 - since around 2003 or 2004 I think. Best phone ever! Battery lasts for ages, does exactly what I need it to do.

I have the 6310 as well, think it's from 2003. Battery lasts over a week, and it's survived being dropped about five hundred times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I am very surprised at the answers in this thread. I really would have thought you lot woulf be fancy pants iPhone, Blackberry type owners.

In answer to the original question, my phone is 5 months old. A Samsung Tocco Lite (pink). The battery lasts about 4-5 days in it but Im still undecided about the whole touch screen thing.
    Ive never had a phone last much longer than a year. I am really clumsy and drop things a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

SV wrote: »
    So you don't have to carry around the 3 of them and can have them all in one.

But the cameras and mp3 palyers on phones are always half-assed, they'd do if you're stuck but even if I had them on my phone I'd still carry my own camera and mp3 because they're so much better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

nibtrix wrote: »
    I have the 6310 as well, think it's from 2003. Battery lasts over a week, and it's survived being dropped about five hundred times.

Yep, I've even gone as far as drop-kicking it accidentally twice while I was walking, still going strong.. the only thing I've done with it is replace the screen because of a vertical line of dead pixels.. even at that it was still usable!

But the cameras and mp3 palyers on phones are always half-assed, they'd do if you're stuck but even if I had them on my phone I'd still carry my own camera and mp3 because they're so much better quality.

They are not that half assed tbh. Unless you have a digital SLR camera the 5mp camera in my N95 is as good as you will need for talking normal photos here and there. The mp3 player is fine for me very similar to the menu system you get on an custom built mp3 player, I find the sound good too.

For everyday use it is a far better compromise anyway than always having 3 things in your pocket.

dunno, mp3 player in mine is pretty decent and the camera can't be sniffed at...

does me anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement