Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview in Irish for Primary school teaching

Options
  • 10-05-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I am hoping to return to college to study Primary school teaching on a full time basis. This is the 3 year course, not the 18month H Dip - I have an interview on the 19th May and part of it will be in Irish. I am aware that there are a range of topics that can be discussed and it varies from candidate to candidate. If anyone has done this before or has any advice on what areas I should be focussing on I would be most grateful. I havn't spoken Irish in 15 years and I am very rusty!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shellym23

Hi I went through the same process last year and thankfully I got my place on the b'ed! The English interview is very easy. I was asked why I want to be a teacher, what could I bring to teaching, what do I think the characteristics of a teacher are, bring in any experience you have which is relevant. Also the asked about my knowledge of the course. If you could have a look at the aims of the curriculum on the ncca website it would be very helpful. The Irish interview was fine. Don't try and spit out a reel of stuff that you have learned by heart because they will immediately change subject. Use BASIC Irish, know about yourself, your hobbies, why you want o be a teacher and what challenges you think teaching may have etc. You'll be fine! Best of luck. If you need any more help just ask! I know how you feel as I found it hard to get info on this last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave_screams

Hi Shelley and thanks for your reply, you have set my mind at ease somewhat! The English part I wasn't worried about, I was just concerned that they would expect me to have a full blown debate in Irish on numerous topics, which I simply won't be able to do. I checked out the ncca website as well, which was helpful. Thanks again for your help, I am going to post how the interview went afterwards so at least it might help some other people who are/will be in the same boat:) Hope the course is going well for you and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

Hi Slave_screams

when is your interview? what college have you applied for? Ive applied for Mary I and Ive my interview the 8th June so nervous about it my Irish isnt the best although I did do the Orals this year..are you sitting Irish in the LC?

Shelly M thanks for the info I wasn't gonna go to the interview as I feared it would turn into something bigger than what I was able for.. where are you doing your training now? whats it like as a mature student??

Dandoline

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave_screams

Hi Dandoline,

I had my interview on the 19th May. The Irish part was first, which took about 15mins. They asked about myself and my family, what did they work at/study etc. I had just returned from teaching in South America so they asked about that, what it was like, weather, food etc.
    Then we spoke about my hobbies and interests and what was it about teaching I was interested in. The key to it is to swing the conversation around to things you feel comfortable about, the more you talk, the less questions they can ask you. For example, they asked me about my family, and both my mother and sister are teachers so i spoke about that and how they helped me prepare for the interview, where they were teaching, what classes, etc.
    That lasted about 5 mins, which meant less time talking about things I wasn't prepared for. They don't care what you are talking about, they just want to see what your fluency is like. My Irish isn't great, I hadn't spoken it in 15 years and only had time for a few grinds beforehand so I have pretty much resigned myself to not getting in this year!
    The English part was ok, they asked why I was interested in teaching, what skills would I bring to the classroom and had I spent any time observing classes prior to the interview. It was quite formal, which I had expected considering how many people are trying to get into the course! They also asked about general questions about my travelling and work experience.
    Try and be yourself, and not just ream off stuff you might have learned beforehand. They want to see your personality and why do you really want to take up teaching as a lifelong profession.
    Good luck and let me know how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

hey, i had my interview on the same day, have you heard back yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement