Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Adventure Race

• 10-05-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Waterford Adventure Race is taking place on 22nd of May. It's the usual combination of running, cycling and kayaking. Entry is €60 if your bringing your own kayak or €65 if you wish to hire one. I have registered but am unable to attend, if any person wishes to have my entry ticket at a reduced price please PM me.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 2 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    100%
    blind_hurlerskype919 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

anyone else on here doing this? Anybody have any GPS course info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

3 stars (average)
    I'm in for this and looking forward to this:)

3 stars (average)
    completed this yesterday, really enjoyed it... it was very tough with the heat and the last cycle!! would def recommend it for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

completed this yesterday, really enjoyed it... it was very tough with the heat and the last cycle!! would def recommend it for next year

Well done. That was a fairly substantial kayak (in relative terms). Over 6k! Was there much flow?

Are the results up? I'd be interested to see what the splits were like for the top guys. How many people entered?

I was going to do this but it clashed with Wicklow ROAR. Maybe next year.

3 stars (average)
    Well done. That was a fairly substantial kayak (in relative terms). Over 6k! Was there much flow?

Are the results up? I'd be interested to see what the splits were like for the top guys. How many people entered?

I was going to do this but it clashed with Wicklow ROAR. Maybe next year.

Well I for one am no kayaker so that for me was one of the toughest legs as there was very very very little flow and with a sit on kayak with no back support made for a very long 6k...
    Note to self kayak course needed before attempting this again :rolleyes:

As far as I know the entry was around 120 but there's no times up yet.

I know the winner finish in 3:30 and was seven minutes ahead of second with number three coming in with a time of 3:40

The biggest fault I had with the day was a lack of finish line.. It was a girl (doing a great job and great enthusiasm) holding a fob to dip for time..
    No finish sign or clock not even someone to take a photo.. and I had my best smile on!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

A few pictures here. Looked like a good day, I take it that the picture with the 3 guys in it was the top 3 finishers on the day Diarmaid Collins is the one in the middle, wonder did he go one better than the Connemara Adventure Challenge.

man, what a day and a race. I thought it was a great event, even though i struggled badly and came home in the last few people. The last stage was a killer, thought that hill would never end. The climb at the top of the vee was also a lot harder than i thought it would be.

Well organised for a first-time event and a even a very practical goody bag (gels, a tube, waterbottle etc). Ill deffo be doing this if it is on again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I would have done this if it had not clashed with wicklow ROAR.

Looks like a good event and since i live in east cork it would have been handy to sleep in my own bed the night before a race for a change and also being able to train on a course before racing it.

Hopefully next year they will have it on a different weekend as im sure the entry list would have been bigger had it not been for ROAR.

3 stars (average)
    I would have done this if it had not clashed with wicklow ROAR.

Looks like a good event and since i live in east cork it would have been handy to sleep in my own bed the night before a race for a change and also being able to train on a course before racing it.

Hopefully next year they will have it on a different weekend as im sure the entry list would have been bigger had it not been for ROAR.

I think another limit on the entry was the number of boats they had..

Would agree with Mush the last stage was a killer and the bag was practical..
    I did hear a few give out that there was no t-shirt but I was happy with the array of gels
    and water bottle provided..

I will def be back

yea deffo, the last thing i want from a race is another crappy t shirt. Everything in the goody bag will be used in a race or training. Id actually say it was the best ive see, given I wasnt even expecting a bag cos it was a small first time race..

only tshirt I have liked/used in the last year and a half is the WAR jersey. everything else was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Deirdre keane

What a great day and perfect weather... well organised for first event! The marshalls were great and good for support.... few more needed on the last leg to give a boost and get us home. Well done to all involved and will be back again next year to defend my title...however being a year older will make it a little tougher:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Deise Dan

Selection of photos from Waterford Adventure Race are on www.editorialimages.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

any sign of results for this race???????

Race report from the winner now on Sleepmonsters.ie well worth a read. If anyone else wants to share their race you can send it to me at ivan.park @ sleepmonsters.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

3 stars (average)
    This race was def one for the Kayaks! I lost around 12 places, felt like i was manually propelling the Titanic! .... It was a good course though bar the last gruelling uphill cycle! I also felt that there should have been a little more running maybe? However there was a good sense of achievement when finishing! ..... Organisation wise it was a little lacking ( I know it's the first time so it must be forgiven!) I did feel bad for some people completing it at the end when the organisers were taking pics of the winners all fully re-dressed at the finish line! .... Nice packs though and yes i will admit that i'm shallow when i say i wish we had gotten a T-Shirt :) ......... All in all i'll be back next year ! Well done to all!.......... P.S Advertise for marshalls next time, people are only too willing to help, we all met someone who veered off course that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 win1soon

Anyone know who won the Vet40 and Vet50 prizes ?I've phoned and emailed the race organizers without reply.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

3 stars (average)
    Here's a link to some pics, they are mostly me and my friend but you might find one of yourself?? http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_fitz/sets/72157624031146771/with/4647722527/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barrywfoley

What a great day and perfect weather... well organised for first event! The marshalls were great and good for support.... few more needed on the last leg to give a boost and get us home. Well done to all involved and will be back again next year to defend my title...however being a year older will make it a little tougher:):)

<Mod edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barrywfoley

Hope that you will come down on the Kayak on your own next time Deirdre in this 'INDIVIDUAL' event,.

:eek: I posted a previous mail aimed at the judges allowing this, but it was deleted!!!!

If 'Fair Play' is not adhered to it degreads genuine partisapation.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

were the double boats not provided by the race organisers? thought I saw one or two more in doubles as well.

3 stars (average)
    groovyg wrote: »
    were the double boats not provided by the race organisers? thought I saw one or two more in doubles as well.

I think I'm right in saying that there was some double boats provided but in the case of these both the people in them were competitors but in the case of deidre the second person was in the boat with her just for that section and was not competing in the full adventure race... now I am not sure about this so am very open to clarification..

My two cents is that if the organisers allowed it then it's not her problem...

I presumed that like in wicklow you would have to carry your mandatory gear at all times but when I got to the start line I noticed nearly everyone had left all their gear at their bikes... Which meant I carried my extra gear for 6k i didn't have to.. is this fair nope.. Is it my fault for not checking probably or did most cheat by not carrying their gear on the runs??

At the end of the day I was only competing against myself as I was never going to be near the front so it didn't bother me but I can see how others could get upset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pff

I just would like to know from competitors, what makes a race an adventure race?

I know that to me its a race in the WILD outdoors and the competitor choses his equipment, whether it be trail shoes or runners,
    kayak or sit on top, mtb or racer.
    You also need to prepare for the race, and this can be at different levels, so you decide whether to go to the effort to bring your own gear (if you have it) or take your chance with the rental.Whether you read the map before the race or not (so you don't get lost OBVIOUSLY). Does anyone seriously think that the winner needed marshalls on the course to show them the way.

I think if athletes(expert/novice) want to compete in a multi disipline sport in a strictly controlled environment where the chance of spraining an ankle between 2 rocks , taking a puncture from a pothole, or taking a wrong turn off the course is NIL then they should take up the decathlon/heptathalon.

In my honest opinion competitors should stop complaining about back straps, getting lost and marshalls not being at every turn, is it a mollycoddle race or an adventure race?

Advertisement