Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Armadaillo Tyres

• 10-05-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have these on my cylocross bike and their fairly slow in terms of commuting into work. I was thinking of using them just for the winter time becasue I was tod by the bike store lads that they were a good all weather tyre. Anyone have suggestions as to a faster tyre I could consider getting fitted to both front and back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

WTB All-Terrainasaurus

I use these on my 'around town' bike and love them. Well, not *love* them just like them a lot.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Armadillos are slippy in the wet but very puncture resistant. They are also slick so that WTB tyre is unlikely to be faster. I use Schwalbe Marathon Racer (700x35c) and Continental Sport Contact (700x37c) on my cross commuter.

If you really want faster though look for a narrower road race tyre like a Schwalbe Ultremo or Continental GP4000, Michelin Pro Race 3, etc. - in 700x25c or 700x23c. I have used all of these and they are good. Only downside of the Michelins is that they are a bitch to get onto the rim and do seem to cut up easily enough. I have Maxxis Columbieres in 700x25c on my winter/trainer road bike and like them a lot for a tyre that is a bit cheaper than likes of the Ultremo/GP4000/Pro Race.

Also: make sure you pump your tyres up to a good pressure, for road use this should be very very hard compared to a cross tyre. I run 700x23 at 110/100 and 700x25 at 100/90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks Blorg,

How would you rate thos tyres you describe in the wet. I will definatley need the best non slip tyres with our weather;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd say they are all reasonable. Better than Gatorskins or Armadillos anyway. Wider tyres have more grip in the wet- what size are you thinking of? There is a big gulf between 700x23 and 700x37 but I think even 700x25 is a step up from 23. I cycle all year around myself but I wouldn't tend to corner agressively in the wet or ice.

Advertisement