Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 23rd Best Tourist Destination in Europe - Tripadvisor

Options
  • 10-05-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Found this on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/TCDestinations-cTop25-g4

This is great for the City, amazing to see the cities it has beaten!

When you look at the attractions I suppose there is enough to do, but I can't help thinking it could be better.

What addition would you like to see in the city to promote tourism?

I'd like to see more walking tours with guides, there's a lot of Interesting history around the town, especially around the Spanish arch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

We're number 23, we're number 23! Woohoo... in your FACE Paris!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

:DWahoo..Go Galway!! Be there next weekend... can't wait to experience the galway atmosphere again! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Tis a credit to us lovely people, apparently :-)

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12739-galway-pips-paris-tourism-popularity-stakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wonder what we could do to bump ourselves up that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

chilly wrote: »

Change the crap photos of galway they got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

JayMcD wrote: »
    Change the crap photos of galway they got

Ha, I was thinking the same thing over the weekend, the photos on the site are not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Oi !!! my house is in that Photo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

There are some strange atrractions too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Start spreading vicious rumors about Nice.

e.g. "I hear their B&B booking system is less than adequate in the high season"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Start spreading vicious rumors about Nice.

e.g. "I hear their B&B booking system is less than adequate in the high season"

hear hear. i am surprised that the place is so popular with tourists regarding its anti european stance.
    do they still double the price of hotels and bnbs durung race week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Since when are the Cliffs of Moher in Galway?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Monte Carlo number 1?!
    Austria in the top 3?
    I spit on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Did anyone see another report on top tourist destinations in the world that was out last month. Galway was either 2nd or 3rd in Europe in it. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw it and have tried goggling it but to no luck.

Ah maybe I'm going mad!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maybe I'm cynical, but are all those trip advisor reviews legitimate or can vested interests post reviews to influence rankings you know to gee i dunno generate free publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

f1dan wrote: »

sure tis all 'The West'. even the Dubs never say they are going to Mayo Galway or Donegal but always The West.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Seems to me that tours (walking and bus) feature quite heavily in the attractions listed (putting aside things like specific pubs) so I think opening up the countryside to visitors would benefit. More walking/cycling paths in areas
    of natural beauty instead of uninviting narrow and dangerous roads. Also raises quality of life for people living here. Proper signage should make it easy for people to figure out - visit here, you can walk/hike along here, etc. There's so much to Galway that is too well hidden that can attract tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

f1dan wrote: »

To a tourist who comes from a reasonable size country, they may as well be!

(Shh, don't tell the folks in Clare about our annexation plans ... ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I was in Monte Carlo last week for a day and it wasn't that interesting. Few ropey looking middle-aged men in eastern European reg super cars cruising around with super model wannabees. Better atmosphere in a lot of other European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hopefully next yearwe will be no. 1. There is loads to see and do in our fine city and county. Need to marketed more by tourist board. Then we all could make some money from tourism. Happy days.........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Hard to be enthusiastic about 23rd place,NO.1 or nothing.I dont even like silver or bronze medals at sporting events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Hard to be enthusiastic about 23rd place,NO.1 or nothing.

I know but considering that there are hundreds of cities in europe, appearing on any such list means we're punching well above our weight especially given the size of the city.

Getting back to my original post, what do you think can be done to boost tourism further in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fuinseog wrote: »
    sure tis all 'The West'. even the Dubs never say they are going to Mayo Galway or Donegal but always The West.

'The Wesht'

I've heard them [try to] say it.
    Shocked and appalled, I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I know but considering that there are hundreds of cities in europe, appearing on any such list means we're punching well above our weight especially given the size of the city.

Getting back to my original post, what do you think can be done to boost tourism further in the city?

Well ,to me, is something of a problem here.
    Firstly I wouldnt want Galway to all-out become a tourist destination for I think it would somehow diminish the unique dynamic the city has.
    Secondly,Galway is small.It can barely handle Race Week.Being overrun with tourists doesnt sound fun to me.
    However to answer your question on how to increase tourism I would suggest more use of the our seaboard resources.Beaches,harbours,watersports,cruises etc
    Another suggestion ,that is not a dig at Galways finest,would be a slight increase Garda presence in the touristy places.Too many skobies about in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

What addition would you like to see in the city to promote tourism?
    I'd like to see more walking tours with guides, there's a lot of Interesting history around the town, especially around the Spanish arch!

I'd like to see Liam Silke and his walking tours of Galway up there, he's such a character and a brilliant tour guide, lots of people know him as the Town Crier but his walking tour was so informative and different, I found out things I had never known about Lynch's castle & the Spanish arch and the legends behind them all, despite living here for years.

It's amazing the difference between the written history and the actual history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Thats greats for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    I was in Monte Carlo last week for a day and it wasn't that interesting. Few ropey looking middle-aged men in eastern European reg super cars cruising around with super model wannabees. Better atmosphere in a lot of other European cities.

Agree totally, was there a couple of years ago and the place was boring.

Advertisement