Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental prices in donegal town

Options
  • 10-05-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

quick question for the folks here, oh and muffler if ya feel this ain't suited to this forum feel free to move it to accommodation;)

I am looking to move in with my long term girlfriend somewhere around donegal town but i feel the rent per month is still fairly high for the times we are in...

So say i was looking at a three bedroom house on one of the local companies websites, would it be unreasonable or plain stupidity to haggle with them?? ie. house for €600- haggle like hell to get it for €500 :confused:

We are looking to save a few euro too so don't want to be spending to much on rent...

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problem at all so long as it's specific to Donegal.

I see 3 bed semi's being advertised in the twin towns area for around 120 - 130 p/w so yes indeed chase up the landlords and tell them you'll offer them a lower amount.

Dont forget to ask for a BER cert when you do decide on one to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

uumm BER cert? I am renting a brand new 5 bed house for 150Pw outside letterkenny, the only reason we went for this is because it was the same price and in some cases cheaper that a 3 bed in the town, 150pw was the norm when we were looking last year, but then again it might have went down since then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Renting a lovely big house in Donegal town for €550. Saw a few for that price when we were looking. Donegal lettings and donegal properties are the 2 agents in town.
    And yes haggle. Was told that website prices are high and where u read 600 see about 520-550 instead.
    I would avoid the shop window ads. Might be a little cheaper but the agent and contracts etc is always the safer option.
    Good luck house hunting.
    P.S try and view houses on a Saturday to view the neighbours at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Rent prices in the town have gone down so much since the recession its great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

daft ie letting online is the best way to find a place.

As well as the two agents of course.

And yes, haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

thanks for all the replies folks :)

Looks like I may get my fathers old haggling hat out so :D

And thanks muffler for that nugget on the ber cert!

Advertisement