Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new Dell: Dimension v Optiplex

• 10-05-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Can anyone advise? I want a stand alone system with no gimmicky software trials on it. Also, my last computer packed it in after numerous problems caused by the "internet security 2010" virus. Even after a technicial replaced the hard drive it was still screwed. Worked for one day and then couldn't get into windows.

Is the optiplex a better option and which box would you recommend? It is only used for the internet and plugging in the odd peripherals such as a printer or digital camera etc. Want something fast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd go with an optiplex 755....if you're buying a computer by model name these are you're standard work horse's of the computer world - one thing though mate...all the dell computers will come with preinstalled "gimmicky" software - actually all computers come with preinstalled software, just spend a while uninstalling the stuff you don't want when you get it. New computers a big spend it may be worth doing a bit of research before you commit any money to the cause - google is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

I will better build one than buy a Dell, but you can always run this to remove unwanted crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Thanks for the help. That link looks good, I actually think one of the things that seemed to affect my computer was the windows automatic updates. I don't know if that's something that a de-crapifier can fix.

To be honest I don't see why I can't buy a modestly priced computer that will last at least a decade. All it gets used for is occasional web surfing and storing digital camera photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Sounds like that "technician" shouldn't be let anywhere near a computer. There's no way in the world you could replace the hard drive and still have issues from an "internet security 2010" infection. Not that you'd need to replace the hard drive in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Thanks for the help. That link looks good, I actually think one of the things that seemed to affect my computer was the windows automatic updates. I don't know if that's something that a de-crapifier can fix.

To be honest I don't see why I can't buy a modestly priced computer that will last at least a decade. All it gets used for is occasional web surfing and storing digital camera photos.

The MS Updates aren't so intrusive in my opinion, and they are necessary; you can disable the update at any time. The Search Indexer is a far more resource eating program.
    And that's my experience, i wouldn't buy a Dell desktop and a HP notebook, but that's just me...

• Advertisement

h8red wrote: »
    Sounds like that "technician" shouldn't be let anywhere near a computer. There's no way in the world you could replace the hard drive and still have issues from an "internet security 2010" infection. Not that you'd need to replace the hard drive in the first place!

To be honest I can't get my head around it. I still haven't paid him, but how can it be that I turn the computer on and it goes to a black screen saying that a windows file is missing and something about pressing "r" to repair. Bit of a mystery. I have absolutely no confidence in this guy to fix the problem but now all I want to do is do a back up on an external hard-drive and go ahead and buy a new computer....but can't do the back up cos I can't get into windows. Anyway, what would you recommend for a modestly pricing desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Is the error message...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

...or something to that effect? I can tell you a bit more about what that means if that's the one.

As for a recommendation, I honestly couldn't tell you which Dell to go for because I don't know a lot about them. But I don't think you can go wrong with a Dell for value.

Viper_JBs suggestion sounds good. I think the Optilplex has moved on to 780 now though, judging by the Dell website.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Optiplex is for business and Dell don't really sell them to consumers. The main difference is that they update the technology less frequently as large companies put standard images on the machine rather then taking the SW of.

Dimension is their consumer brand. Dell do sell a crapware remover. TBH seems like you have operating system issues not hardware.

I know I will get lambasted for this (I use Windows/Linux most of the time) but Macs go for years without the same slowdown experience you get with Windows. Personally I wipe and rebuild my PC's once a year, but have an 2000 iMac given to my mother which still hums away.

h8red wrote: »
    Is the error message...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Yep that's exactly what comes up.

Spoke to him last night he said to buy an external hard-drive and he will back everything up on that for me and then wipe the hard-disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

This computer repair guy sounds like a complete joker, a chkdsk or a quick windows repair would fix that problem...maybe 30 - 50 minutes work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Viper_JB wrote: »
    This computer repair guy sounds like a complete joker, a chkdsk or a quick windows repair would fix that problem...maybe 30 - 50 minutes work.
    He mention "technician" only not sure if computer technician:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Go to Optiplex model;)

Advertisement