Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need broadband - keep Sky??

• 10-05-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in Athlone and I currently have standard Sky TV (€28 per month). I need to get broadband, but I do not want a landline phone aswell.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what broadband to get? 3Mb or 5Mb download would be enough. The main question is, should I keep Sky and get seperate broadband, or scrap the Sky and get a broadband/tv combo deal?
    I would only like to pay €30 per month at most on the broadband.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only viable combo is UPC. There are no free TV channels. With Satellite you have more channels, higher quality and still have 200+ TV and 65+ Radio if you cancel Sky as you own the gear.

Get TV from UPC if for other reasons you want UPC tv. There is no valid reason to change Pay TV provider just because you get Broadband.

In fact unless you want RTE, TV3 & TG4 via payTV and Sky Sport there is little reason to have pay TV at all compared to Free Satellite TV (on cancelled Sky box & Dish which YOU own and Irish TV via Aerial).

Check out UPC Broadband prices. There is a extra €8 or so if you don't have their TV package (but most of the basic UPC TV is free on Satellite).

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is there a TV & broadband supplier available to you? If there is, then you should look at their available packages and prices, then decide what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I live in Athlone and I use SKY for my TV and have UPC 5MB Broadband that costs 29€pm. You dont need a phoneline for UPC in athlone.
    UPC is muck compared to sky for tv.

So keep Sky for your TV and get UPC for your Broadband. 5MB is fine for browsing the web/watching youtube.

Advertisement