Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed ASAP with Geography HL Must Know Questions!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm doing geography and haven't studied the course all year properly... my teacher is basically **** and still hasn't finished the course with us.
    Yeah, I know, ridiculous. Not only that, but her classes are ridiculous, she never gives us homework and people are basically constantly on the phone in her class and talking all the time! Its ridiculous and at this stage I have had enough of her BS. :mad:

She is a lovely lady, but all year I have been asking her to give me a list, just a simple LIST of the must know things for Geography i.e I just want to know what questions/topics come up alot and what must I absolutely cover? I'm really frustrated with her that she hasn't helped me out all year on this and she told me the other day she will make out one for the whole class! I'm just left here thinking what the hell?! Am I not important enough to help individually?! Its really frustrating because I have been asking her since the year started and now its 1 month away from the exam!!! I'm basically struggling like hell with this subject that I know I can easily get a high grade in...

This is what I know thus far:

OS Map
    Plate Tectonics
    Multi National Company
    One Land Form ( I'm doing the Burren in Co.Clare because its easy)
    The Rock Cycle
    Earthquakes
    Volcanoes

And that is basically it! :confused: SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST.

Also, for regional geography, do I need to know primary secondary and tertiary in just one country each, or two? For example if I know secondary activities in the Paris Basin, will I need to know primary activities as well? Thanks in advance...

Also, how does one score high in the short answer questions. The book I use is Today's World...should I just read the main facts in all the chapters and learn off the diagrams? Thanks.

Oh, and I'm a repeat BTW, I got a B3 the last time I did this exam AND I NEVER EVEN BOUGHT A BOOK but this time I got a D in my mocks...Please help I really really need a B minimum!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you don't have any, buy a set of exam papers. The geography course has only been examined for 4 years, but you will notice that some questions repeat themselves a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Section 1: physical

- Irish landform
    - Interaction with rock cycle
    - Interaction with surface processes
    - Formation of sedimentry rock/ Burren
    - Plate tectonics

Section 2: regional
    - primary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - secondary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - teritary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - Impact of eu expansion
    - Global interests in conflict with local interests
    - Energy consumption

Section 3: elective 1
    - MNCs
    - Colonialism

Thats a pretty good list I cant think of the rest of the elective questions from the top of my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Buy exam papers and buy Geography exam skills I think it is called, it has sample answers to all the past questions that have been asked. really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

leg wrote: »
    Section 1: physical

- Irish landform
    - Interaction with rock cycle
    - Interaction with surface processes
    - Formation of sedimentry rock/ Burren
    - Plate tectonics

Section 2: regional
    - primary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - secondary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - teritary activities in subcontinent/irishregion/European region
    - Impact of eu expansion
    - Global interests in conflict with local interests
    - Energy consumption

Section 3: elective 1
    - MNCs
    - Colonialism

Thats a pretty good list I cant think of the rest of the elective questions from the top of my head

Good list but the only I see missing is Geoecology and/or the 80 mark electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

unknown13 wrote: »
    Good list but the only I see missing is Geoecology and/or the 80 mark electives.

I didnt bother writing down the 80 mark essay as everyone does different topics. I do geoecology.
    This year there will be 2 essays on biomes so im going with-
    -Charachteristics and animal/plant adaptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

It would be very helpful if somebody could answer this especially on the human geography elective, we still have 21 compulsory chapters left :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Guys what about the short answer questions? How would one approache those ?

This is all really helpful thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

fufureida wrote: »
    Guys what about the short answer questions? How would one approache those ?

This is all really helpful thanks!

Most of them are mainly physical ones and the rest regional [with map reading]. Just do practice the short questions in the exam papers because there is a nice balance there.

Advertisement