Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice please

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:23pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking to upgradde my current PC that I think is becoming too old to hang on to.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
    Crucial Ballistix 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C3 667MHz Dual Channel Kit
    ATI HD 4850 512Mb
    Corsair HX 520W
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

I'm not a heavy gamer (but do play from time to time - nothing hardcore) and use it for mainly Adobe products, coding, Movies etc.

I am wondering should I just upgrade to a Q6600 or higher 775 cpu or make a higher investment on something like i5-750. I don't think I need a better GPU as I don't think I'd make use of it but comments welcome.

I haven't listed by HDD as I have loads of space and no need for more/upgrade.

I suppose I should be looking to the future but I don't want to upgrade cpu/mobo/ram just for the sake of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you don't want to spend megabuckz just slap in a Q6600 or Q9550 if its not much pricier. So long as you keep any OCing attempts south of the 3.6GHz mark the Freezer 7 should easily keep the added heat output in check, although a case with decent airflow helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah, I do something like Solitaire mentioned, Q6600 is usually a fairly easy overclocker too so you should be able to get to 3ghz handily enough.

You graphics card is decent enough, i have the 4870 and they run hot but its a capable card. Getting a new card would cost a good bit without giving loads extra performance.

Yup, even a HD5770 might not be worth €135 compared to an OCd HD4850, hot and hungry though it may be (but he's got a HX520 in there so that ain't an issue!). Lowest acceptable upgrade would be a HD5830 for a hefy €180, or even a €250+ HD5850.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Yeah a good quad core seems to be the best option.

I assume if I want to go i5 it's just the mobo/cpu/ram I need to upgrade - the psu/gpu etc is fine?

Yep. But given the price of RAM currently and the fact that LGA1156 mobos never came back down to a sane price and it becomes a monster upgrade - the best part of €300 just for the i3-530 upgrade, and possibly €350 or more for an upgrade to the wonderous i5-750 :o

And if you pair a good C2Q to your HD4850 you'll notice a bigger difference than that between said C2Q and the i5-750... for half the price :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Yea it would be fine. 520 from corsair would do the job perfect.

You'd just need a spare 380 quid!

Advertisement