Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business...or Geography?!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

I'm just rounding up 5th year and I've been struck by a niggling realisation lately. I need to get over 550 in the LC, but I've only 3 subjects that I *should* get an A1 in, and then 3 maybe's. I'd need 4 to keep it safe.

So I've tried Applied Maths, and that just didn't go well. I'm stuck now between business or geography. Everyone has different opinions. Personally I had a tendency for business because it has no project and I find business interesting, I also liked business more in JC than geography, except for the bookeeping crap they had in it.

Geography I gather is much more waffley, easier and points-wise pretty decent, however I'm dubious, cause waffley subjects are great for B's and not so much for A's IMO. It's also got a project which I'd be worried about, as I'd be doing it with fairly minimal teacher assistance.

So, does LC business have all that bookkeeping nonsense JC business has?

And what're your opinions and preferences on the two subjects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

jumpguy wrote: »

No, it has the accounting ratios but that question is easily avoidable if you don't like that area.

I do both. Geography can definitely be done in a year and is a better paper because you get a wide range of choice in the exam. Also you have an investigation worth 20% that is handed up before the exam.

Business is a bit boring you have to discuss management, laws, sources of finance, the EU, domestic environment and ethics. It is a longer course than Geography.

Both subjects have there good and bad points but If I was you I would look more at Geography than Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm just rounding up 5th year and I've been struck by a niggling realisation lately. I need to get over 550 in the LC, but I've only 3 subjects that I *should* get an A1 in, and then 3 maybe's. I'd need 4 to keep it safe.

So I've tried Applied Maths, and that just didn't go well. I'm stuck now between business or geography. Everyone has different opinions. Personally I had a tendency for business because it has no project and I find business interesting, I also liked business more in JC than geography, except for the bookeeping crap they had in it.

Geography I gather is much more waffley, easier and points-wise pretty decent, however I'm dubious, cause waffley subjects are great for B's and not so much for A's IMO. It's also got a project which I'd be worried about, as I'd be doing it with fairly minimal teacher assistance.

Exact same position as you :( Down even to what course I want to do.

I've decided to take up business since it seems much less reliant on needing school assistance. No projects or anything of the sort so I can study it independently.

I know this may be a bit of random question but how many points did you get in your Christmas exams?

I've decided to take up business since it seems much less reliant on needing school assistance. No projects or anything of the sort so I can study it independently.

I think the projects are good because if you f**k up the exam and do a good project then the grade will be better then if there was no project attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I know this may be a bit of random question but how many points did you get in your Christmas exams?
    I got 575 points in the Christmas exams.

How do you find doing business yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I got 575 points in the Christmas exams.

How do you find doing business yourself?
    I got 540 ish :(

Haven't actually started doing business, going to begin after the summer exams. Gonna try and get at least half if not more of it down before september.

• Advertisement

Haven't actually started doing business, going to begin after the summer exams. Gonna try and get at least half if not more of it down before september.
    Good choice because it is a long enough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's only the Christmas tests! Relax and just try to improve for the summer tests. :) It was very flukey tbh, I wasn't expecting it. I'm not sure if I'll do it again for my summer tests...

After looking at the geography exam papers...I'm definetly swayed towards geography now. I could answer a fair deal of questions (especially the short questions...Jesus they're practically throwing marks at you) from only my JC knowledge. And as Unknown said, there's a ridiculous amount of choice...

I could probably team up with a few friends in my school doing geography and we'd get the raw data of the project together. Doesn't look too bad!

Advertisement