Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clare Inn

• 10-05-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Any one have any experience of a wedding in the Clare Inn? or indeed any experience of the Clare Inn?

They have quiet a good deal for wedding on but some of the reviews on trip adviser (for over night stays etc not weddings) are horrific to say the least. Though i understand people with negative reviews are often more like to give reviews as they have an axe to grind so to speak.

any one have anything positive to say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

meh, its not a great place tbh, very poor decor, uncomfortable, food wasnt great, i have been to a wedding there !!
    could be gatecrashed my us army also :D
    :pac:http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/20090722222/This-Weeks-News/Clare-wedding-crashed-by-US-military-troops.html

tbh its cheap for a reason imo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Was at a conference there last year, could badly do with a revamp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was at a wedding there last year and it was fine, the meal was fantastic, good service, drink wasn't overpriced, only down sides I would have had would have been the place was full of kids (families down for the weekend) and the place could do with being done up, but people have being saying the Clare Inn could do with being done up for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

I think you'll get a nicer hotel for the same money if you look around and haggle.
    Hotels are fecked at the moment and will jump at any business.
    the auburn lodge, the temple gate or woodstock will be around the same price if you bargain with them, then just pick the one you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

http://www.bunrattycastlehotel.ie/

This place is 1 10 minute drive away from the Clare Inn but much nicer ( IMHO of course) They have a banner outside offering a wedding reception for 100 people for 5K. Not sure if that's a good deal or not, It's a long time since I got married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 voicebox

BOBBY wrote: »
    meh, its not a great place tbh, very poor decor, uncomfortable, food wasnt great, i have been to a wedding there !!
    could be gatecrashed my us army also :D
    :pac:http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/20090722222/This-Weeks-News/Clare-wedding-crashed-by-US-military-troops.html

tbh its cheap for a reason imo !

the wedding was never gatecrashed.The army were staying in the hotel and were invited into the wedding by the wedding party. I just love the press!!!! that said the hotel needs a complete revamp and you could get much more for your money nearby. All the hotels are doing wedding deals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The place needs a revamp that's for certain but I have been to 2 weddings there and the food was as good as any of any hotel around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just make it a 70's themed wedding and you'll fit right in with the décor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Just make it a 70's themed wedding and you'll fit right in with the décor.
    Disagree completely. Have been to a few weddings there including my own and have always enjoyed it.Its up to the wedding couple how they decorate the function room,flowers etc. Lovely spot with great views.Ive always loved the Clare Inn.The bar is a small bit dark but who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Thank for the feedback guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I know someone who went to a wedding after Christmas and said it was awful. The function room was very cold and all the guests were frozen, I know it was Winter but you'd figure they would have some good heating.

There were more complaints than that but that's the one that sticks to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's very dated at this stage. The actual grounds/setting don't have much to recommend them either. The wedding I crashed seemed to be entirely devoid of taste (horrific amounts of orange fake tan and clashing pastels everywhere) so they didn't seem to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

It's very dated at this stage. The actual grounds/setting don't have much to recommend them either. The wedding I crashed seemed to be entirely devoid of taste (horrific amounts of orange fake tan and clashing pastels everywhere) so they didn't seem to mind.
    Orange fake tan and clashing pastels-Clare Inns fault? Thats any Irish wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭guano_jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Doooo

guano_jim wrote: »

They just got 10 mins of extremely bad press on Rte1.

Making up their own reviews on tripadvisor...tut tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

saw that. RTE didn't even use lube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Doooo

Blikes wrote: »
    saw that. RTE didn't even use lube :)

Hahaha! :)

To be fair though, I doubt they are the only hotel to do this. In fact, I KNOW they aren't the only one. They were the only ones stupid enough to put it in an email though...and then send that email to rte!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Thats why I like sites like Yelp. You can see who is actually posting the review - it's not just some anonymous moniker online. You can link your Yelp page to Facebook to confirm the fact you are not just some person taking the piss.

It's not just that businesses try and pump up their own online profiles, but many also blast the competition using the same technique.

I used to have a nightclub in America. We saw this sort of thing all the time. In our case it was even worse - the competition would ring the fire brigade whenever we had large events and tell them we were over capacity, and they would arrive and spend an hour making everyone leave then come back in again and be counted by the local fire marshal.

We were never over capacity, but when a person lodges a formal complaint they have to go to the site. When they get there and it appears it could be over capacity they have to empty the venue.

At least they aren't doing that here, well, at least not that I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

it got a full page in the indo on sat too. pity they wouldn't try improve stuff instead of lie about it. my brother go married there two yrs ago... they kept playing xmas songs in may. in fairness the waiters and waitresses were sound, but the bar staff was useless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

it got a full page in the indo on sat too. pity they wouldn't try improve stuff instead of lie about it. my brother go married there two yrs ago... they kept playing xmas songs in may. in fairness the waiters and waitresses were sound, but the bar staff was useless.
    Here's the article mentioned above

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hotel-told-staff-to-fake-reviews-on-tripadvisor-2400564.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Doooo wrote: »
    They just got 10 mins of extremely bad press on Rte1.

Making up their own reviews on tripadvisor...tut tut.

Four brand new really really positive reviews in the last day or so all from one time contributors!!!!:eek:

Obviously getting caught didnt make them stop!!! :D

Advertisement