Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35mm or 50mm AFS

• 10-05-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm caught in a little bit of a bind. Bought my D40 a couple of years ago for a trip i was heading on around SE Asia. Savage camera and very happy with it. Came with the 18-55 kit lens

Since then i've bought the Sigma 10-20mm as well as the 18-200mm. I would now like to get a 50mm lens but uh oh... there is no 1.8 AFS, only 1.4 AFS or F1.8 AF. Obviously the F1.8 will not AF on my D40 etc etc.

So i was looking at Kea Photo and there seems to be a 35mm F1.8 AFS for 192euro or i could get the 50mm F1.4 for 380euro (ouch).

Thoughts/experiences with either or both pieces of kit welcome.

Upgrading to a D90 or similar has been considered deemed to frikin' expensive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Peace wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm caught in a little bit of a bind. Bought my D40 a couple of years ago for a trip i was heading on around SE Asia. Savage camera and very happy with it. Came with the 18-55 kit lens

Since then i've bought the Sigma 10-20mm as well as the 18-200mm. I would now like to get a 50mm lens but uh oh... there is no 1.8 AFS, only 1.4 AFS or F1.8 AF. Obviously the F1.8 will not AF on my D40 etc etc.

So i was looking at Kea Photo and there seems to be a 35mm F1.8 AFS for 192euro or i could get the 50mm F1.4 for 380euro (ouch).

Thoughts/experiences with either or both pieces of kit welcome.

Upgrading to a D90 or similar has been considered deemed to frikin' expensive!

Just get the 35mm. It's specifically designed as an equivalent normal focal length lens for the cropped sensor cameras. If you're thinking of the D90 as too expensive I doubt you're thinking of upgrading to full frame any time soon, so the 35mm seems the ideal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about Sigma 30mm f1.4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Borderfox wrote: »

oh yeah, or that. I tend to be a bit prejudiced toward the brand lenses. For no good reason really, I've never really tried the off-brand ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had one of the Sigma variety and it was a superb lens only bad thing was it was for croppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

My Nikkor 35mm AF-S f1.8 has arrived on my desk today.

Thanks for the advice lads. Now its just a matter of pointing it in the right direction!!!

• Advertisement

Just incase anyone's reading this! Here's the first few shots i have.

My 10-20mm Sigma
    4670024088_a213c1642b.jpg

My new cap!
    4669399041_9e163f7e2a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice DOF ... :D

What difference between a 50mm and 35mm? A few steps?

I like my 50mm, but sometimes I wish I had a wider fast lens for indoors, like a 35mm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Borderfox wrote: »
    i have it for the four thirds mount. i keep meaning to do an equivalent series of shots side by side with the standard zoom on the camera, because i'm dubious about whether it's better than the standard zoom in the aperture range of the zoom.

Nice DOF ... :D

What difference between a 50mm and 35mm? A few steps?

I like my 50mm, but sometimes I wish I had a wider fast lens for indoors, like a 35mm.

Well unfortunately i can't help as i've never had a 50mm. I'm kinda glad i went witht he 35mm now as i think the 50mm would be a little more zoomed in than i'd like.

Advertisement