Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling all geography a1 students...

Options
  • 10-05-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

How do YOU study for geog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Look through the papers and pic a question that comes up regularily.
    Do up an answer.
    Learn the main points off.
    Later in the evening see how much i remember.
    Next day do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

thanks, ill give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

When you've learned a question off make sure you time yourself writing it out a couple of times. The timing schemes a bit tight so it's easier to know how long it takes you to do each question and then if you have to you can make it quicker.

thanks, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

With my regional geography for example I had one master question that did all possible questions which came up for primary secondary and tertiary economic activites for example now. So all I did was add in loads of examples and drew a picture which boosted my marks in each question (viewed paper). By learing that one answer for that one section I could easily recall everything on that particular country/region. The same sort of method can be applied to anywhere on the course, for physical I basically predicted what would come up and learned off answers, (one whole A4 page down to bout 12 words for memory, one word for each SRP), For the last section I wrote 4 paeges of crapand got very high marks, don't have a clue how in hell I did, but one thing I made sure was to nearly have one example in each SRP to guarantee marks. This is only a suggestion and did work for me, may not for anybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

yer man! wrote: »
    With my regional geography for example I had one master question that did all possible questions which came up for primary secondary and tertiary economic activites for example now. So all I did was add in loads of examples and drew a picture which boosted my marks in each question (viewed paper). By learing that one answer for that one section I could easily recall everything on that particular country/region. The same sort of method can be applied to anywhere on the course, for physical I basically predicted what would come up and learned off answers, (one whole A4 page down to bout 12 words for memory, one word for each SRP), For the last section I wrote 4 paeges of crapand got very high marks, don't have a clue how in hell I did, but one thing I made sure was to nearly have one example in each SRP to guarantee marks. This is only a suggestion and did work for me, may not for anybody else.

Guys, did the LC last year exactly as this bloke above does it and it got me an A2. This is the best way to study ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Right, are you doing India or Mezzogiorno? How would you do it? And what do you mean by a "draw a picture"? Of what? The region?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Care to share such questions? It wud really be a huge help if u could type these up and share... The regional ones... Only if u can though and have time.. Either way great advice. Shame some of us are doomed with 10+ chapters still to cover.

Guys what q's come up the most? O have a thread of this so please post in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Also, I put my answers onto my Ipod. I nearly have 'em all by heart now.

How do you record the answers on your ipod? i tried the voice memo but it is vey poor quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

do you not feel crazy listening to yourself on your ipod ?:pac:

I think she meant to type them into ur notes. But I have an itouch n tge voice recorder is good.

I just looked through alllllll tge short answer questions ever asked... And tge types that come up slot are ordanance survey, ariel photographs ( usually 4 questions ) Sattelite photographs, types of regions, slope types... :) it's all popping up time n time again..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Reporting for duty, getting an A1 in geography is literally one of the most do-able things ever. Minimal work is involved really. Know a few areas reasonably well, like for the Biome question I did the mojave desert, but that also worked for many other questions. Also, don't worry about chancing your arm with a 'guestimation' to get a few extra srps. I logically just guessed some statistics and when I went to see the paper just for the craic when the rechecks rolled around they were marked as significant relevant points. I remember guessing the length and depth of lake mead and the height of hoover dam. All of which were slightly wrong but looked right. Just bull**** it really, but don't over do it. Think sensibly about constructing your answers and do ensure you get plenty of srps.

What are the human interaction with surface procceses again? :/

fufureida wrote: »
    What are the human interaction with surface procceses again? :/
    im doing it on the Tara lead and zinc mines. You can also do it on geothermal energy, quarrying and something else

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

dynamot wrote: »
    im doing it on the Tara lead and zinc mines. You can also do it on geothermal energy, quarrying and something else

Is that not interaction with the rock cycle? And interaction with surface processes is how humans have altered coastal, fluvial processes or mass movement?

Is that not interaction with the rock cycle? And interaction with surface processes is how humans have altered coastal, fluvial processes or mass movement?

yeah but I don't get how u wud answer a q on human interaction with surface processes? :/ I always avoid the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Interaction with rock cycle is quarrying, mining geothermal and something else.

Interaction with surface processes( fuvial;marine, and glacial)
    I answer fluvial and talk about dams and levees

I'm **** at the short answer questions.. I usually do quite poorly in them simple because I took up geography half way through the leaving cert. So I'm relying on the part two structured and essay questions.. Worked out that if u get 40 in the short questions and 70 in everything else u can get 80%... and that's without the project added on.

Hold on.. Am I doing that wrong? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just popping in a gentle reminder that Boards has a "no textspeak" policy! :)

• Advertisement

Who was text speakin? : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

fufureida wrote: »
    Who was text speakin? : /

[HTML]how u wud answer a q[/HTML] You don't say.

[HTML]how u wud answer a q[/HTML] You don't say.

Sorry, happens at times cus I'm on a phone most of the time... :/ don't see the huge problem I don't speak in excessive text speak.

Anyway wil some1 give some tips on that human interaction with surface processes q? Like Is mass movement in Sahel, Africa a part of tat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Thanks for the tips everyone. There's one thing that I am wondering about for a while now. Is the Biome a definite(or nearly-definite) question? Most people seem to just learn essays for biomes and ignore the rest of the geoecology chapter. I'm planning to do that but I don't want to end up on the day of the having a whole section of the paper empty because no biome questions came up -_-.

@fufu, mass movement is one of the sample answer for that question in Exam skills Geography.

Advertisement