Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fundamental Frequency of a Membrane

• 10-05-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a formula to calculate the fundamental frequency of a plate under tension but i can't seem to find one that isn't for a string. I want to use the formula to find out the relationship between the tension and the frequency.

I have an approximate density and fairly accurate measurements of the area of the plate.

Any help with getting closer to an answer, even if it's very approximate, would be a real help.

If you need to know anything else about it to help, let me know.

Thanks in advance:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jimjam91

I think i may have derived the formula but if anyone knows better, please correct me.

T=4f²LVρ or T=4f²L²DWρ

For which:

T=Tension
    f=Frequency
    L=Legnth (one dmension of the plate)
    V=Volume
    ρ=Density
    W=Width (the other dimension)
    D=Depth

I used the formula for a string to get this, i'm not sure if that's even the right sort of thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Reenakjr

Hi,

Frequency f for a given plate is proportional to the square root of the tension T.
    F = k sqrt(T)

If F1 and T1 are the new frequency and tension:
    F1 = k sqrt(T1)

F1 / F = sqrt(T1 / T)
    T1 / T = (F1 / F)^2

Advertisement