Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympia

Options
  • 10-05-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Well what do you think about it?

As far as venues go, the appearance is nice, from the inside I'll give it that but for the love of God, that place is just so bloody cramped when seated for a show.

Sitting there during it you're just dreading the thoughts of maybe needing to go to the toilet or someone else trekking across you oh and God help you if you happen to be sitting in front of one of those seat tapping bastards :(

I think it's served it's purpose over the years but they really need to make the place better seated. It's just too crammed.

Does the Olympia need some work done? 33 votes

Yes!
    0% 0 votes
    No!
    63% 21 votes
    Blow it up!
    33% 11 votes
    Blow it down?
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I tolerate the place, but only just! It has no proper wheelchair user viewing facilities, smelly toilets, horrible acoustics and no parking. As for the crap seats with non existant leg room, I saw Richie McCormack (VERY tall Phantom FM DJ) somehow manage to get himself into a mid row seat at the most recent Richard Hawley gig there and I still can't figure out how he did it. I'm a complete short arse with excuses for legs and couldn't get in an aisle seat! Had to ask the usher to get a seat removed at the back so I could sit there in my wheelchair! I heard the gig but saw very little as a result ;o)

Having just experienced the Grand Canal Theatre I know where I'd rather go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its a dump. It needs to be refurbished. Half the seats are like rocking chairs at times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I like it, not as good for seated gigs.

Love the atmosphere in there for a rock gig though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's a great venue for gigs, but I agree about the seats. They are horribly uncomfortable and I get a crick in my neck trying to see the stage. The last few times were just atrocious bar last week, had the front row of the middle stall bit, it was heavenly to see the stage with no obstructions.
    Had to sit up on stools at the back wall another time. Mind you, I much prefered that than the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Was there about a month ago and found my seat wedged in the upright position. In trying to free it the staff member managed to pull it clean off before finally getting it back in position after about 10 minutes trying. The place badly needs upgrading but by and large it's a good venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Interesting to see the responses. I was at the Story of Motown last Saturday night. It was a good show and from the start I noticed two people grab stools from the bar area and line them up against the back wall, I remember thinking at the time how they might have the right idea. I was proved right I suppose.

The upper circle is horrible more so I think though.

I will never go there again I have to say unless they change the seating arrangements or are the rock/dance gigs any better?

Certainly not going to sit through another show there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Super venue, great location amazing for rock gigs but by in large I hate the seating for gigs. its a joke, they were made for early 1900's people who are no taller than 4 foot lol. Im not tall by any means im pretty average but even my knees are cracked afterwards. the viewing area of the stage is woeful too, if you happen to sit behind a rather tall person good luck to seeing the stage which is vital for any comedy acts or solo performers.

Having said that i've enjoyed, comedys, gigs, rocks, dance, plays and musicals there. But the seats and viewing has and will always be woeful and needs a complete overhaul!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

best venue in all world for a rock gig!

Advertisement