Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming VAT back on service from other EU countries

Options
  • 10-05-2010 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am an independent IT contractor and limited company trying to keep administration costs to a minimum by doing the day-to-day accountancy myself with the help of Sage Instant accounts.

I recently paid for a service on the internet (domain registration) and I was charged VAT of 15% by the company providing the service (based in Luxembourg). I usually claim back VAT on my (Irish) purchases here in Ireland from Revenue.

Questions:
    1. I'm guessing that I can't claim the 15% VAT from the Irish Revenue service or can I?
    2. I do want to keep things simple at the moment, so can I just pay the full amount (not claim any VAT) or is there a requirement for my company to register/claim for VAT in other EU countries?
    3. Later on, if I find that I am paying for many services from "other EU" countries, would I need to register and claim directly from authorities in those countries individually or is there some EU wide central mechanism to claim VAT back easily?

Thanks,

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hi,
    1. I'm guessing that I can't claim the 15% VAT from the Irish Revenue service or can I?
    2. I do want to keep things simple at the moment, so can I just pay the full amount (not claim any VAT) or is there a requirement for my company to register/claim for VAT in other EU countries?
    3. Later on, if I find that I am paying for many services from "other EU" countries, would I need to register and claim directly from authorities in those countries individually or is there some EU wide central mechanism to claim VAT back easily?

<snip>

Jockey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Please read the forum charter.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement