Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Swimming (eg Falls hotel, Ennis)

Options
  • 10-05-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Quick rant...

Was looking for a quick swim in West Clare for the onset of the latest get fit plan. I tried the Falls Hotel in Ennistymon. They inform me that they are open to the public but at a cost of 20 euro per swim... :eek: Madness!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

browneire wrote: »
    Quick rant...

Was looking for a quick swim in West Clare for the onset of the latest get fit plan. I tried the Falls Hotel in Ennistymon. They inform me that they are open to the public but at a cost of 20 euro per swim... :eek: Madness!!

Jesus I can scarcely believe that. People would be mad to pay that! Must not be feeling the recession at all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Must have been a condition of planning that it was open to the public yet in gombeen land Ireland they forget to say how much the swim should cost at part of the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine it's a flat fee fr the "leisure centre" , whatever that might consist of in that particular place.

Most gyms allow you to pay in on a once off basis and it's usually around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Quick rant...

They possibly don't want to many members of the public to swim with them so they price it prohobitively high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Quick rant...

A one day pass to the entire fitness facility may be €20 to make it unattractive to single day visits - same policy applies to many fitness centres. I doubt if they can have different rates depending on whether you just want 20min in the pool or a full day in the full facility.

Its free to residents and from being there last year on hols, the annual rates were quite attractive and a 3 month rate was also on offer.

If you are ever looking for a one off swim, just enquire about annual rates and ask if you could try the facilities;) - I've been checking a few places in Naas / Newbridge and they all gave out guest passes to try & win the custom.

as for rip off - its definitely not. we had 3 night b&b + 2 dinners for under €300 for both of us last august bank holiday & the lesiure facility is fabulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

I agree fully, they must not want cheap pool piddlers (no self reference) clogging up the pool as opposed to their target health spa market. Nevertheless, there is a certain arrogance asking for such inflated rates.

I take your point on cheap accommodation. For one swim - lets say 50 lengths, 20m pool = 20e/1km. It definitely falls into the rip off ireland category.

(A one day pass is a marketing ploy - you'll start to rinkle up after the first hour!)

Advertisement