Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a medical card with un-registered doctor

Options
  • 10-05-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I have a medical card and the Doctor it's registered to is in Kerry.
    But being in college in limerick (and the college doesn't have it's own, or a visiting Doctor) I was wondering about using it with other doctors.
    I have gone to one doctor here twice, but they said they can't really treat me anymore since it's not registered to their doctor so they won't get paid for it.
    Travelling all the way home to go is too much time and money. My brother mentioned something about being able to see other doctors if the one your registered to is a certain distance away, so i'm wondering is their any truth to this? Or is there another solution?
    All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

Any GP who has a list of medical card patients could see you on an emergency basis if you have a medical card with another GP. They would usually get you to sign a STC form to get paid for it. However this is not for ongoing care. You could consider joining another GP's medical card list if they will accept you- you use the "change of doctor" form. You are also perfectly entitled to pay to see any GP as a private patient if they will see you (some may have too many patients to accept anymore).

Advertisement