Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile-friendly links in boards.ie notifications

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heya Edanto, long time mate.

I moved your thread to here because its more relevant here and also the real tech brains behind Boards hang out here. I dunno how easily it can be done or if at all but if so, here is the place.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Cheers DeV, thanks for moving it. It has indeed been a while, but 'tis great to see boards so active.

This morning I've looked through the m.boards.ie thread above in this forum and realised that this idea was suggested first by Captain Morgan about 6 months ago, so kudos due there!

If it's a trivial enough improvement, it would sure make my mobile boards experience a little quicker and easier.

Currently I click the link, pause the load, and then pop in the 'm' and reload the page. Not at all a major hassle, but I'd much prefer the mobile friendly link!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

This'd be a very handy feature alright since I use boards quite a lot on my mobile these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Just a friendly nudge to ask if there's any chance this feature request might be implemented?

thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I'll stick it on the list of things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Conor wrote: »
    I'll stick it on the list of things to do.
    can you put it up near the top? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

This would be a great feature. It is a bit of a pain to have to put in the m every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

where abouts is this on the "to do" list then conor? thanks

Random wrote: »
    where abouts is this on the "to do" list then conor? thanks

It's not currently scheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This would be a good addition :)
    +1

Conor, we appreciate that there are a lot of other priorities at the moment, and you guys are doing a great job. In the interests of helping out, would it be OK to explore this feature request on-thread?

Does anyone else know if it's possible to implement this change - i.e. is the notification email stored as a template somewhere in a standard vB install, if so, where? And if it were changed, would there be any possible implications to be aware of?

We might be able to pitch in and do some of the legwork on this thread so that it's less research/work for Conor and co, acknowledging that there is lots of other development work that's going on and only a limited amount of time for them to get through the list.

I'm sure there was a whole load of work done in developing the m.boards.ie site, and this idea would really just be doing the extra X% of work to make that great work more easily accessibly to the community.

Do we have any stats on the proportion of visitors that come through m.boards.ie as a percentage of the whole? It might be interesting to watch that trend before and after this proposed change to the notification email.

Please don't waste your time on that stuff.

Technically, it's a trivial change.

The only thinking required is on UI/UX and one of us in the office will get around to that eventually. We're going to have to do that regardless of whether or not you have provided input, so feel free to post options but bear in mind that a) it's not saving my time and b) the likelihood of it turning into a bikeshed argument is high.

Noted. Reason (a) makes it a waste of time and reason (b) also seems like a waste of time. I just never like to be suggesting a change without being prepared to do some of the work, but I'm out of my depth here.

thanks

Big fan of the whole touch.boards.ie thang that ye rolled out, it make my luas ride in the morning a lot more enjoyable.

One thing that would just be sooooper-dooooper would be if when I clicked on the 'new reply notification' link from my mobile if I were brought straight to the newest post on the thread since my last visit instead of to the first post, as is currently the case.

Oh - and totally unrelated, but just 'cos Dev and the rest of ye will get an email when I post this - Fair ****s Tom on the AH 'let's laugh at depression' thread. That has to be one of the most heartfelt, relevant and inspiring pieces of writing I've ever had the privilege to read. I'll drop you a text, but wanted to thank you in front of some boardsies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

DeVore will only get an email in here if he's subscribed to the forum, and that's not a certainty. You can thank him where everybody else did, in the thread in After Hours :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement