Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped External Hard-drive

• 10-05-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Honestly these things should be designed to bounce.

I dropped my hard drive a while a ago, (Sumu 320gb) now I don't think the problem is with the actual hard-drive (if this makes sense) but the part where plug in the power-cable, it just won't recognise it anymore or light up.

Would anyone know if it would be too expensive to get fixed? I'm not too bothered with the stuff thats on it, it's all old music and some movies that are easily replaced, but I actually do need the actual space and don't want to be buying a new one if I've got one at home that can just be easily fixed.

Hope this hasn't been posted before, I searched but couldn't see anything TOO similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Inside the case should be your standard IDE or SATA hdd. Open it up and find out which then buy the appropriate enclosure from someone likes Peats. For example: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26568

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Quote from a seller :"The SUMO 320GB External Hard Drive disk is strong, robust and fast." Isn't that nice? ;)
    And yes, if its out of warranty, try open the case and check connections as Mataguri said .
    Did i said that "Strong, simple, fast and reliable, that’s SUMO!"? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

While I was in college back in '96/'98 I worked testing Hard Drives and a couple of times we got bored and bounced some hard drives off the ground (in once case taking a lumb out of the ground) and then retested and they still passed. I've found them to be very robust. Unfortunately, when it comes to external hard drives, the enclosure and electronics are far from robust and are in most case the downfall of these systems!!

Advertisement