Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Weekend

Options
  • 10-05-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm looking to go for a weekend surfing package in one of the surf schools in either Bundoran or Lahinch. As a complete novice i have no idea which is better surf wise? Also in the Summer months does either experience better weather? (or does it rain in both? :p) Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

I would recomend bundoran surf co in donegal.Great lessons and nice accomodation. probably better conditions up there during summer months than in lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Contact Ben at Bens Surf Clinic in Lahinch. Will sort you out
    www.benssurfclinic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

runman wrote: »
    I would recomend bundoran surf co in donegal.Great lessons and nice accomodation. probably better conditions up there during summer months than in lahinch.

Thanks, any place in particular you would recommend? Was looking at Turf n' Surf

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I've always gone to the Bundoran Surf Co. when up around Bundoran area. Really friendly staff and a decent surf lodge. Ive been a few times to their shop/surf lodge over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Chris007 wrote: »
    Thanks, any place in particular you would recommend? Was looking at Turf n' Surf

I always go up with surf n turf, they have a van to drop you to the beach if you dont have a car and they rent all the equipment you'll need! They can give you all the advice you need and they're out most nights for a pint afterwards too!!:)

But iv heard great things about both places...you wont go wrong wither way!

have a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Wopp wrote: »
    I always go up with surf n turf, they have a van to drop you to the beach if you dont have a car and they rent all the equipment you'll need! They can give you all the advice you need and they're out most nights for a pint afterwards too!!:)

have a good one!

+1 on turf n' surf, sound guys.

From what I see and heard, Ben's surf clinic may offer better instruction that lahinch surf school. Definitely smaller groups anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I say bens surf clinic, clare is absolutely gorgeous in the summer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Fundoran goes a bit nuts in July when the marching season starts up north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You also have to ask yourself, where would you rather be...

Tullan or Lahinch:D

have a good one!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :D
    What is the accomodation like in turfn'surf?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :D
    What is the accomodation like in turfn'surf?

really good, the staff are amazing! they always have some sort of night out and good crack to be around! The rooms are normal for a hostel, iv listed what they offer on there website if its any help:

All ensuite rooms
    Linen and towels provided
    Breakfast included (continental style)
    TV in all rooms
    Chill out room with view of Donegal Bay
    Free WiFi and Internet access
    Free parking
    Lock up facilities for sports gear
    Surf board stores & wet room facilities
    Changing rooms and showers for surfer or other activities
    Local knowledge of hill walks & treks
    Luggage storage
    Local tourism knowledge
    We will book ahead for you
    Pick up from bus/ train/ airport can be organised
    Friendly traveled staff

really good, the staff are amazing! they always have some sort of night out and good crack to be around! The rooms are normal for a hostel, iv listed what they offer on there website if its any help:

All ensuite rooms
    Linen and towels provided
    Breakfast included (continental style)
    TV in all rooms
    Chill out room with view of Donegal Bay
    Free WiFi and Internet access
    Free parking
    Lock up facilities for sports gear
    Surf board stores & wet room facilities
    Changing rooms and showers for surfer or other activities
    Local knowledge of hill walks & treks
    Luggage storage
    Local tourism knowledge
    We will book ahead for you
    Pick up from bus/ train/ airport can be organised
    Friendly traveled staff

Have you tried Turf n' Surf in Strandhill by any chance?

Have you tried Turf n' Surf in Strandhill by any chance?

is that not the same one?

is that not the same one?

There is one in Strandhill and one in Bundoran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub89

Id def recommend Bundoran surf co. I went 2months ago as a beginner and found all staff extremely helpful. The instructors are great and teach ya really well. Not too expensive and the location is great. Have a look at their website!

Dont be suprised if ye get hooked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I was in Bundoran in August for a few days and i'd definitely reccommend it for anyone starting out. The instructors in surf n turf are really helpful and I think it was 35 euro for a full lesson including the board and wetsuit which is really great value. I think we got about 2 hours out on the water and they bus you down to the beach and back. And you will get addicted:), also i'm heading down to Lahinch next weekend, it'd do well to top Bundoran I bloody tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Just back from a weekend in Lahinch the Lahinch surf school (John McCarthy school) was excellent very friendly... Everyone in lahinch in general were very friendly would very highly reccommend

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

Was surfing up in Bundoran last weekend and was surprised to see a class out, think it was the Bundoran surf co. fair play to them. Cold but great conditions.

I've gone to the adventure centre in bundoran years ago as well as schools in lahinch, for beginners I'd say they're much the same.

Which town or county would you prefer to be in, and where's the surf going to be are probably more appropriate questions

Advertisement