Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod licence..

Options
  • 10-05-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Was talkin to my local F/O today about the getting granted a moderator/suppressor/silencer and asked how I know if i was granted the licence for it or not, already knowing I'm supposed to have an "S" on it. Anyway, he didnt know anything about the s and said that I can walk in anywhere and buy a mod as I already ticked the box for it. Now I don't knwo where i stand:confused:
    Suggestions welcome lads.
    Ps. He also said that I was still on the application list but took my word for it that I was granted it.. hmm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

kay 9 wrote: »
    Was talkin to my local F/O today about the getting granted a moderator/suppressor/silencer and asked how I know if i was granted the licence for it or not, already knowing I'm supposed to have an "S" on it. Anyway, he didnt know anything about the s and said that I can walk in anywhere and buy a mod as I already ticked the box for it. Now I don't knwo where i stand:confused:
    Suggestions welcome lads.
    Ps. He also said that I was still on the application list but took my word for it that I was granted it.. hmm

:eek::eek:

Crazy hour continues.

Surely by now they should have all this kind of stuff nailed down. Is it too much to ask that we all get the same advice from different F.O's?:rolleyes:

I would advise you to ask him for written consent for a mod before getting one. At least you'll have yourself covered if the you know what ever hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

hey kay 9, i'm not 100% sure what exactly you're asking but will try to help:
    he didnt know anything about the s

That's not too surprising - My F/O hadn't ever seen the FAC until I showed him mine. They get little or no training or information from their own PTB's on this AFAIK.
    said that I can walk in anywhere and buy a mod as I already ticked the box for it

Ok, if you "ticked the box" and the F/O said it's OK, then presumably he has inputted your licence information into PULSE and you have been authorised.

Just to get a wee bit legalistic for a second:o:

The possession of a silencer / moderator / suppressor, which has been designed for use with and is capable of only being used with a “long rifled firearm”, is not subject to certification under the FAC1 application.

This is where the confusion lies, I think, in that we have to tick the box but the authorisation for the moddy has nothing to do with the FAC1 application procedures.

The actual authorisation for the moddy is granted by the Super under Section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 and strictly speaking (IMveryHO) the Super's should be issueing a separate authorisation for any moddy's allowed.

However, they seem to have mixed up their procedures and are now putting this "S" onto the FAC which appears to authorise the cert holder to possess the moddy.

From what your F/O has told you, it would appear that you may have been authorised for your mod. What you haven't told us is:
    a. Whether you have got your licence already?
    b. Whether there is an "S" on it or not?

If there is an "S", then problem solved and question answered. If there is no "S", then IMO you will need to get a separate letter from your Super confirming his authorisation of you to possess a moddy under this Section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990

He also said that I was still on the application list but took my word for it that I was granted it.. hmm

I'm not sure what you mean by this?:confused:

But hope some of the above may be of help.
    (And as ever, I stand ready and willing to be corrected)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you don't have the "S" in the bottom left corner or an authorisation from your super then regardless of whether you ticked the box on the FCA1 or not you are not covered to own/carry/possess/use one.
    pajero2005 wrote: »
    I would advise you to ask him for written consent for a mod before getting one. At least you'll have yourself covered if the you know what ever hits the fan.

+1. Good advice. CYA people, Cover Your A**.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks a mil lads, was thinkin of the written permission appproach myself. Will get it no prob I think. He believed me over the phone that i recieved the licence so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I had a similar experience this weekend; I asked them whether or not I had my mod and how I was to know. The gard said if I ticked the box and got the license I had the mod.
    Happy days:D

• Advertisement

I'd still recommend that, if you don't have that elusive and much-sort-after little "S" on your FAC, best get a letter from the Super confirming that you have indeed been authorised. It's a pain, but as ezridax put it "CYA", or to use the latin motto: "rectum protectum"!:D

Hibrion wrote: »
    ......... The garda said if I ticked the box and got the license I had the mod.

I say this only so no lad gets caught out through mis-information by ANYONE.

Take nothing at face value. If you haven't got some form of written authorisation for your mod then there is no record that it has been granted.

If it was granted with your FCA1 application then you would have the "s" on the FAC as it would have been recorded on PULSE and when printing your license the "S" would have been added.

If it was granted later/seperately by the Super then you would/should have a letter/note stating that you have been granted the mod.

Either way get it in some form of writing/written form that you are authorised to own/carry/use a mod. If stopped by a garda and asked for your license and he sees no "S" and you have no letter to produce do you really want to rely on the word of another to "back" you up, plus if that person gave you the okay in the wrong and realises his/her mistake they will not hesitate to deny or refute your claim that they gave the okay in the first place.

Just some honest opinions that may help in the long run. At the end of the day Gardai, DOJ, etc are all civil servants/bureaucrats and love paper work. Plus as said earlier...............
    ezridax wrote:
    CYA people, Cover Your A**.
    dCorbus wrote:
    or to use the latin motto: "rectum protectum

If you don't have official authorisation it could bloody well kill 'em.............. get it ........ rectum ............. reck 'em ............... ah forget it.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

sheesh, ezridax, you reaaaaallllllly really need to get out more!:p

Am I too late to get the Licence re-printed with an "S" on it instead of carrying a letter around granted i get it?

dCorbus wrote: »
    sheesh, ezridax, you reaaaaallllllly really need to get out more!:p

Ah, here now :eek:. I'll have you know that i ........................................ You're right. I do. :o

Kay 9 wrote:
    Am I too late to get the Licence re-printed with an "S" on it.........

Go to your FO with an FCA2 (cancellation/amendment form) and be nice. It could be done for you. You will need to make sure you have authorisation for your mod beofre asking for it to be amended on your license.

If all else fails there is always ........................

633565427331216342-AssKissingBecausesometimesloyaltyinnovationandhardworkjustarentenoughDemotivator.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks again Ezri, forgot the ammendment form:rolleyes: Will find out if it's on pulse for sure or not first just in case. After all I can live without a mod if neeed be. But I aint the ordinary Irishman that takes s**t. We should all take a lesson from the greeks and fight for our rights, this country is gettin more f88cked up every day one tries to achieve something and impossible get anything done:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have to say i am still a little confised about this "S" on the licence, now while I have I rifle I havn't ticked the box as I don't have a mod and havn't got the licence back yet but I do have a shot gun with an "S" in the hologram. Could someone please who is 100% sure they have a moderator permit scan a copy showing the famous "S" as after all a picture is better than a 1000 words or in this case perhaps 1,000,000!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

kay 9 wrote: »
    We should all take a lesson from the greeks and fight for our rights, this country is gettin more f88cked up every day one tries to achieve something and impossible get anything done:mad:

Nor really. It might have a feelgood factor, but the antics of the Greeks are getting them nowhere and by continuing they will get deeper into the organic fertilizer. ;) Them we will have to worry:eek:
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

No6 wrote: »
    I have to say i am still a little confised about this "S" on the licence, now while I have I rifle I havn't ticked the box as I don't have a mod and havn't got the licence back yet but I do have a shot gun with an "S" in the hologram. Could someone please who is 100% sure they have a moderator permit scan a copy showing the famous "S" as after all a picture is better than a 1000 words or in this case perhaps 1,000,000!!!:D

The S on the hologram is just a security thing and nothing to do with being granted a mod, the covetted S is printed on the bottom left on the back of the licence, where the fiearm details are

No its not.

Its on the front side of the license where your certificate number, name, address, expiry date are. On the bottom left corner.

Picture to follow.

Here you go ................

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=6182

Advertisement