Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Laptop to TV link - anyone tried this?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just came across some new gadget that lets you wirelessly connect a laptop to a TV and was just wondering has anyone tried one of these yet? Any good?

http://www.markettown.ie/multistore/gizmoshop/product_info.php?pName=wirelessly-link-your-laptop-to-tv

Im always connecting my laptop to my tv using the dualview function but you need a 2-into-1 lead for the sound and another cable for S-Video or HDMI etc. which gets really messy so this wireless tv link sounds like just what i need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had a Pinnacle ShowCenter 200 a few years ago, and while it had excellent format support, it was a bit flaky if the signal wasn't strong enough. I had a good few buffering problems, and that was with the PC, router and unit in the same room. It got far worse when we moved house and the router was in a different room.

Personally I would do it the other way around, and have the TV unit connected with wires to a HDD that you upload files to from your laptop.

Something like the Popcorn Hour perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Doesn't look too useful for the OP.
    This doesn't convert a signal meant for a monitor (VGA) to a TV signal (RCA). It just changes physical interfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Thanks for the replies. The popcorn hour thing looks interesting but ive had bad luck with wireless media players before what with connections dropping, not being able to browse your pc from the player a lot of the time etc. plus that popcorn thing looks fairly expensive.

I think the wireless laptop to tv link might be the best as its more like an audio/video signal transmitter rather than a network link to your desktop/laptop so therefore file formats don't matter which has always been a problem for wireless media players in the past. It's using your laptop to decode the files and then sends the audio/video signal wirelessly to your tv. So its just a matter of downloading a new codec pack to your laptop instead of having to update the firmware on the device itself, if ya get me... more futureproof i think.

I'll give it a go and report back here when ive tried it.

Advertisement