Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with hardware synth MIDI set up

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 loko90210

I will do the latency test now or tutorial sorry,

I'm not a big professional composer or anything so I don't care if there is latency when I am playing the nord via the usb keyboard, but what I do want and NEED is when I press play in ableton it plays the midi notes from the nord in time with my track,

Track played back in time the way I want;
    Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick
    Snare Snare
    Nord Nord

Currently plays back like this;
    Kick-Kick-Kick-Kick
    Snare Snare
    Nord Nord

ughhhhh such a great synth, my first bit of HW and yet this smelly latency problem is killing me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UfTv1qcxo
    skip to 1.20

This is what I want,

track playing in ableton, playing from the HW synth, no delay as he tweaks the synth!
    :(

Update:

Finally got the nord to play back the way I want :D I changed the audio settings in ableton to ASIO and it worked.

Now just horrible audio drop outs! :(

God dam latency, anyone have any luck with getting there settings right? i have tried messing around with the settings but still getting many drop outs!

Nearly there lol,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

as you have the nord midi in and out connected, have you selected the Local Off option on its internal menu, the latency from a knob turn could be caused by a midi loop problem.

I'm not familiar with the nord but all synths have this option, a quick rtfm will find it.

also with the dropouts, have you selected the asio driver in abletons preferences,
    i was getting dropouts after updating to live8 but it turned out that live had defaulted to
    the directx driver.

Nord is working perfect now, its playing back the midi notes in ableton perfectly in time with the track :)

Just the audio drop out is pretty bad, I was messing around with the latency settings on the soundcard, can't seem to get it right, am I missing something? Local is off btw.

ASIO is slected set up and working, just the audio drop outs pretty bad and nearly all the settings

This is really annoying, Nord aside and swtiched off for the moment, I am getting some pretty bad audio drop outs,

I updated the NI Audio 8 interface and froze all the tracks in ableton (this took F**king hours as I had compressors which where SC and you can't freeze compressors which are SC)

CPU in ableton is now at an all time low of 15-25% after freezing compared to 50-80%

Audio drop outs occur very frequently from when I press play.

I went through all the available settings for Processing Buffer, 32-256 and still audio drop outs. SR = 4100

The problem has completely changed from nord latency problems to horrible audio drop outs :(

Help

Loko

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It's an f'ing pain in the arse.

I don't know - I've never been able to get beyond that problem just work around it - which isn't that satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

do you have a wifi on the machine computer?

i find my laptop has audio issues when ever the wifi is active, you could try disabling it in the control panel.

another item that causes drop outs and glitches is intels power ramping feature, where the processor ramps it speed up and down according to the load on it.

this can be disabled in the bios, it means the green party will boo you but atleast you'll get your cpu's full performance.

Advertisement