Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin pubs and their not so great toilets

• 10-05-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone know what government authority is responsible for ensuring toilets in pubs and bars meet some basic hygiene standards? From the evidence of most of the pubs I go to they are not doing their job.
    Are there any regulations at all? Is it ok to have one sink in the gents in a pub that might be serving over 500 customers at a time? Is it ok to have only one sit down toilet (without toilet roll, a toilet seat or a lock on the door) in the same bar??

Nearly all of the old, well known pubs in Dublin that I know have the most disgusting, filthy toilets. Some of my favourites are:

O' Donoghues, Merrion Row - absolutely manky, rank toliets. The one sink in the gents in the main bar looks like it has been there about 200 years and never cleaned in all that time. Think they are taking the old world charm a bit too far here. If you are unlucky enough to be standing within a few metres of the gents you would literally need a gas mask every time someone goes in or out.

Kehoes, Sth Anne Street - The hot water tap in the gents in this place has not worked for at least 8 months that I know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never worked (does anyone know?). Probably saves the owner 30 euros a week or so on his electricity bill.

Mc Daids, - Not been in there in a little while but as long as I can remember they were always grim. Nuclear protective suits would not be out of order for this place.

Grogans, South William Street - 'Squalid' does not even begin to describe the gents in this pub.

If you are unfortunate enough to need to take a cr@p on a Saturday night in Dublin you basically have two choices - 1) go home or 2) go to somewhere like the Shelbourne where you might at least get toliet paper, a lock on the door and maybe even some hot water.

I really don't know how the owners of these places, who are still making an absolute bloody fortune despite the end of the celtic tiger, get away with it. How much would it cost them to provide clean toilets?

I heard someone say once that you can judge how advanced a nation is on the basis of their toliets and how well kept they are. Unfortunately on that basis the Irish have more in common with club wielding, cave men (who haven't even discovered fire) than an advanced nation. I once saw a Japanese girl crying her eyes out in O'Donoghues - I never found out was wrong with her but I wouldn't be surprised if she had just been introduced to Irish toilets for the first time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bog basher wrote: »
    2) go to somewhere like the Shelbourne where you might at least get toliet paper, a lock on the door and maybe even some hot water.
    LOL, I thought I was the only one! can't beat a shelbourne sh!t, most end up going to McDonalds for the "McSh1t with lies".

You are right though, many places are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Slightly off topic but I was in town recently shopping with the girlfriend & I had to use a toilet in a large well known shopping centre. I was surprised to note that I had to pay 20 cent to use it but I thought that's cool cause the toilets will be well kept. To say the toilets were bad is a massive understatement. There was no toilet paper, the mess in some of the cubicles was unnatural, there was tiles missing off the wall & only 1 hand dryer. I normally shop in Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown, think I will stay there in future. Rant over :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I've been in so many places where their toilets didn't include seats, there was no toilet paper or even soap. There's nothing worse than paying a tenner into a club that tries to be all hip and sophisticated when their jacks are a step up from a hole in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I heard someone say once that you can judge how advanced a nation is on the basis of their toliets and how well kept they are. Unfortunately on that basis the Irish have more in common with club wielding, cave men (who haven't even discovered fire) than an advanced nation. I once saw a Japanese girl crying her eyes out in O'Donoghues - I never found out was wrong with her but I wouldn't be surprised if she had just been introduced to Irish toilets for the first time.

This made me lol. Tbh you're absolutely right OP, a lot of places around Galway are just as you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I reckon that new development pubs and bars should have a 1% scheme - similar to the scheme forcing public buildings to spend 1% of their budget on art work - but in this case they'd have to spend 1% on their toilets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Some of the toilets in London are worse. Particularly rock/heavy metal bars. No toilet seats, No toilet doors, An inch of piss on the ground, toilets so narrow you have to push past people on the urinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

mad, I was just thinking about this over the weekend.
    was in two bars over the weekend, and both their toilets were disgusting.
    It's a disgrace to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's the same in the suburbs, unfortunately.

I frequent four pubs on a regular basis, and three of them have horrible jacks.

The Hole in The Wall, Blackhorse Avenue, Cabra.

Tiny, tiny jacks, you can't close the door in the single cubicle without standing side on to it. The smell is disgusting and I don't think there is hot water. Also, they have the worst hand dryer in the world, you'd be better blowing on your hands.

The Goblet, Malahide Road, Artane

Upstairs where the restaurant is. The smell is rank, and there is only occasionally toilet roll provided. They have a decent dryer though. The worst thing about these jacks is the arrangement of the four urinals. Three in a row, then one at right angles to them, four men can not stand at these urinals, and if they do, on a busy night, you have to step over the other guys wanger to get to that single badly positioned urinal.

Campions, Malahide Road, Kinsealy

Front Bar. Really old jacks that smells bad. Working dryer though.

Harry Byrne's, Howth Road, Clontarf

2 Toilets. The cubicle in the front lounge regularly floods.

The jacks in the back lounge are well kept though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Does anyone know what government authority is responsible for ensuring toilets in pubs and bars meet some basic hygiene standards? From the evidence of most of the pubs I go to they are not doing their job.
    Are there any regulations at all?

For what it's worth it's the Environmental Health Section of the City Council. It comes under the Sanitary Services Acts but I think they don't actually inspect unless they get a complaint.

If I can add one to the list the gents in the Porterhouse (Parliament Street) is a disgrace and the OH tells me the ladies isn't much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

For what it's worth it's the Environmental Health Section of the City Council. It comes under the Sanitary Services Acts but I think they don't actually inspect unless they get a complaint.

If I can add one to the list the gents in the Porterhouse (Parliament Street) is a disgrace and the OH tells me the ladies isn't much better.

I brought this up in a post a while back about the Porterhouse, I was surprised no one else seemed to give a damn, if you cant get basic hygiene right, makes me think what else are you doing wrong. Porterhouse must have raked it in over the years, Like someone says ye olde world charm is just an excuse to not pay to fix the problem, not that it'd cost too much to pay someone. I swore off ever going in there and I really liked that Pub.
    I haven't had the time but I have intended to follow up on my threat to myself that I will report them as the last time I was in there few months back it was the worst I ever saw, I just dont understand how they would think that it's acceptable, maybe because people don't complain.I'm not surprised they don't give a damn about us locals but I thought they would of the tourists who seemed to go there (or used to).
    Well now that I know where to go, my complaint is going in next week (busy till then) I don't like doing it but needs to be done. Next thing is to see if anything is actually done about it or is it all just brushed under the carpet :) that's not a nice thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bog basher

The number you need to call in the Dublin city council is (01) 222 3739. Do not call them today (Tuesday the 18th of May) though becuase the bunch of good for nothing, useless, wasters have a "telephone ban" as part of their ongoing industrial action. I just called them and almost fell of my chair when they answered the phone immediately. Straight away I knew something was suspicious! It turned out the only reason they answered the call so quickly was to tell me there was a "telephone ban" and that they couldn't help me in any way or put me through to anyone that could. They told me to call back tomorrow. Incredible.

Anyway don't be put off - call them tomorrow (I am going to) and report all these bars and their manky, filthy toilets. Don't sit on your arse and do nothing. Thats whats wrong with this country. Thats why we have dodgy politicians, thieving bankers and filthy pub toilets - beacuse we sit on our fat arses b1tching about stuff all day long but we are too lazy and apathetic to lift a finger to even pick up the phone and make a complaint. We need a full on revolution in this country but lets start by calling the environmental health section of the Dublin City Council to report dirty pub toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Surprised at the PHse there in Parliament st. Last time I was in there I think it was Feb and it looked ok.
    Is the toilet thing restricted to older pubs though? I've been to a few down my way and most were up to scratch.

gurramok wrote: »
    Surprised at the PHse there in Parliament st. Last time I was in there I think it was Feb and it looked ok.
    Is the toilet thing restricted to older pubs though? I've been to a few down my way and most were up to scratch.

What? its been the same as it has for years, I was in there after xmas sometime and it was worse than ever, it reeks and is obviously never cleaned, toilets locked or simply not functioning, no soap or handwash in a place that serves food?? its a health hazard, which makes it worse than pubs that are just churning out beer only you work for the porterhouse right, whats your connection? seriously it has never been up to scratch, I drank in there for years, I only went cos I liked the beer and the pub, but have been ill after having food there.
    if the customers are putting up with that, then I can only assume the staff who are cooking and passing out the food and exchanging money with the customers that are using those facilities well do you get the picture health hazard, I'm only pissed at it A because i actually like the pub otherwise and B because how much does it take? effort and cost-wise to simply keep something clean, not much and they cant be bothered even to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its a long time since I was in there, I must have been lucky! :)

Do complain though as you have suffered, it will pull their socks up.

Yup, the toilets in the PH are pretty poor, alright!
    And B&C are no better (think night club toilets!)
    (and why is it ok that night club toilets are so awful?)

Funny how in Belgium, for instance, you can have a really old pub, evolved over years and really nice but the toilets are clean, busy and functional.
    There really is no excuse!

Sorry, the number I gave before was incorrect. The people who investigate manky pub toliets not fit for animals are part of the HSE - Environmental Health/Food Hygiene section. Their number is (01) 8735199.

I have just reported the following toilets:

Kehoes, Sth Anne Street
    O' Donoghues, Merrion Row
    Grogans, Sth William Street
    Mc Daids

I have been told these pubs can all expect an inspection within the next couple of days which will be a result if its true! You should ask for the name of the environmental health officer you speak to and ask them to call you back once they have done their inspection. In other words make sure they actually do the inspection.

So get up of your arses and complain about the rank pub toilets that you know!

Kehoes in Sth Anne street finally got their hot tap connected last week so it is definitely worth your while reporting any scummy pub toilets you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spaceoddity

Just wanted to weigh in that there are some places that do look after their facilities - The Church being one, but that could be because it's marketed as a classy place, and they actually care about their image!

On the other hand, I was in The Woolshed a few weeks back, and one customer decided that they didn't want to soil the bowl, so they soiled the seat, and the floor, and .... well, you get the picture.
    When something like that happens, I can understand why some staff might think "Bugger this - I'm not paid enough for this sh1t!". A little bit of consideration from the few bad apples might go a long way to improving the overall standard. (But that could be asking a lot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Some awful shítters in famous Dublin pubs. They either don't care, or are of the peverse opinion that it adds to the charm of the place. It doesn't.

Had the misfortune of finding myself in the Shebeen on George's St. a few weeks ago. This is a place that also sells food. The jacks were disgusting, piss on the floors, cold water, hand drier not working, purile graffiti on the door of the can.

If this is the standard that applies to customer hygenie, then what standards are applied in the kitchen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I was in Jamie Olivers place in London a year ago having some lunch. Went down to the loo (beside the kitchen in the basement) and was busy having a . . . anyway, in walks some bloke from the kitchen wearing whites, gives it a lash and walks out again. I was thinking to myself, hang on a sec . . . this is the guy making my food and he didn't wash his hands and I *know* what he's been up to. I didn't see his face, but he was definitely one of the kitchen staff going on the clothes he was wearing (and the fact that he came out of the kitchen).

I went back upstairs and had a bit of a think to myself (in true Irish fashion) about whether to raise it or not. Eventually built up the 'courage' to have a word with the floor manager. Knowing the 'power' that kitchen staff have and how they might develop a bit of a cough when dealing with troublesome punters, I discretely asked to have a word with her out of sight of the kitchen. It was funny. There really wasn't anything she could say to me - it's not as if she could say "Arragh sure it's only the once and blah, blah, blah . . ." You have to have good hygiene in food places. No two ways about it. She was actually getting angry with me (not at me if you know what I mean) so I had to defuse her and just suggest that she talk to the staff and remind them of basic hygiene. Wouldn't like to have been in the kitchen when she laid into them. Unfortunately we were still waiting for food at the time, so I hope they didn't see me talking to her . . .

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Blisterman wrote: »
    Some of the toilets in London are worse. Particularly rock/heavy metal bars. No toilet seats, No toilet doors, An inch of piss on the ground, toilets so narrow you have to push past people on the urinals.

London pub toilets are all about the oppressive dungeon chic. Well, to be fair I've found one or two pubs where the facilities were in good nick, but yeah, they're the exception as far as I can see. The Ten Bells in Whitechapel in particular I thought had toilets where you indeed would not be entirely surprised to find Jack the Ripper lying in wait to pounce and gut you like a fish. Perhaps it's the relative space restrictions- In a place as built up as London, you don't have much choice in the directions you can expand.

On the other hand, Captain Kidd's in Wapping had entirely decent toilets, and was an otherwise lovely pub to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

anyone remember the loos in the old Foggy Dew? Not sure if they were filthy but they were certainly tiny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yup, the toilets in the PH are pretty poor, alright!
    And B&C are no better (think night club toilets!)
    (and why is it ok that night club toilets are so awful?)

Funny how in Belgium, for instance, you can have a really old pub, evolved over years and really nice but the toilets are clean, busy and functional.
    There really is no excuse!

Compared to many toilets in pubs I have been to, the ones in the B&C are fine if a little cramped (especially upstairs). They are too small for the volume of people they get but they usually work fine and I have never had to wait to get in. In fact downstairs are quite decent I think. Good size urinal and a cubical that actually locks :D

The portherhouse (Temple Bar) on the other hand I have no issue with. I was only there the other week and there was no problem with anything, space is not much of an issue etc.
    I think the Porterhouse Central has larger toilets though.

However as you said, plenty of places in Belgium have better facilities. They probably have an enforced law or something.

Maybe the smoking ban detectives (whatever they are called) could be given a hygienic role to check toilets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Are there any regulations at all? Is it ok to have one sink in the gents in a pub that might be serving over 500 customers at a time? Is it ok to have only one sit down toilet (without toilet roll, a toilet seat or a lock on the door) in the same bar??

Nearly all of the old, well known pubs in Dublin that I know have the most disgusting, filthy toilets. Some of my favourites are:

O' Donoghues, Merrion Row - absolutely manky, rank toliets. The one sink in the gents in the main bar looks like it has been there about 200 years and never cleaned in all that time. Think they are taking the old world charm a bit too far here. If you are unlucky enough to be standing within a few metres of the gents you would literally need a gas mask every time someone goes in or out.

Kehoes, Sth Anne Street - The hot water tap in the gents in this place has not worked for at least 8 months that I know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never worked (does anyone know?). Probably saves the owner 30 euros a week or so on his electricity bill.

Mc Daids, - Not been in there in a little while but as long as I can remember they were always grim. Nuclear protective suits would not be out of order for this place.

Grogans, South William Street - 'Squalid' does not even begin to describe the gents in this pub.

If you are unfortunate enough to need to take a cr@p on a Saturday night in Dublin you basically have two choices - 1) go home or 2) go to somewhere like the Shelbourne where you might at least get toliet paper, a lock on the door and maybe even some hot water.

I really don't know how the owners of these places, who are still making an absolute bloody fortune despite the end of the celtic tiger, get away with it. How much would it cost them to provide clean toilets?

Excellent thread. The standards in Irish toilets are far, far too often abysmal. I, too, would really like to know which section of this state's government is responsible for the pre-modern condition of the toilets in these pubs.

One day, many years ago, I rang some number and complained about seeing a mouse in a local pub and recounted how the barman got the brush and chased the mouse out in front of me. The hygiene facilities in the toilets in this particular pub consisted of a single towel on a roll, upon which it stayed for between 5 and 6 days each time. It was, of course, a "legend" of a pub. Not a closed-down pub, mind you.:mad:

Last time I was on Marlborough Street in Dublin, the toilets in all the pubs there should have resulted in the pubs being closed down. I know this because I had to leave each pub shortly after I entered because they were disgusting.

There must be, there has to be, a minimum hygiene standard in the toilets of all pubs in this state. That minimum standard must reflect best practice. No debate. It is not pompous, it is not anything but right that we have such a standard. If the publican organisations had any vision they would set a minimum hygiene standard for their industry just as other trades set standards for theirs.

Now that we know to report these pubs to the Department of the Environment -"The people who investigate manky pub toliets not fit for animals are part of the HSE - Environmental Health/Food Hygiene section. Their number is (01) 8735199" - does anybody know what section of government we could go to to find out what Irish law says on this issue at present? And how do we get more checks and implementation of this law, or changes if necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Des wrote: »
    It's the same in the suburbs, unfortunately.

I frequent four pubs on a regular basis, and three of them have horrible jacks.

The Hole in The Wall, Blackhorse Avenue, Cabra.

Tiny, tiny jacks, you can't close the door in the single cubicle without standing side on to it. The smell is disgusting and I don't think there is hot water. Also, they have the worst hand dryer in the world, you'd be better blowing on your hands.

The Goblet, Malahide Road, Artane

Upstairs where the restaurant is. The smell is rank, and there is only occasionally toilet roll provided. They have a decent dryer though. The worst thing about these jacks is the arrangement of the four urinals. Three in a row, then one at right angles to them, four men can not stand at these urinals, and if they do, on a busy night, you have to step over the other guys wanger to get to that single badly positioned urinal.

Campions, Malahide Road, Kinsealy

Front Bar. Really old jacks that smells bad. Working dryer though.

Harry Byrne's, Howth Road, Clontarf

2 Toilets. The cubicle in the front lounge regularly floods.

The jacks in the back lounge are well kept though.

And the Hole in the Wall charges a shítload of money for its drink. If I even even pass by it again I'll go in and check out the bogs. Whatever excuses pubs on the brink of bankruptcy might have a thriving business such as the Hole in the Wall has no excuses for keeping disgusting toilets.

In fact, for starters offer your views on the toilets in the Hole in the Wall (and other Dublin pubs) here

Saruman wrote: »
    Compared to many toilets in pubs I have been to, the ones in the B&C are fine if a little cramped (especially upstairs). They are too small for the volume of people they get but they usually work fine and I have never had to wait to get in. In fact downstairs are quite decent I think. Good size urinal and a cubical that actually locks :D

The portherhouse (Temple Bar) on the other hand I have no issue with. I was only there the other week and there was no problem with anything, space is not much of an issue etc.

However as you said, plenty of places in Belgium have better facilities. They probably have an enforced law or something.

Maybe the smoking ban detectives (whatever they are called) could be given a hygienic role to check toilets too.

I drank there (Porterhouse) for years, the mens toilets downstairs there have never been fine, they have always been filthy, they are quite small, other than than the absolute filth, flies, lack of bogroll,lack of toilet seat/s, cubicle locks, functional toilet/s, locked out of order toilet for ages, lack of handwash or soap or anything approaching basic hygiene in the modern age, other than that, yes they were fine, I haven't been there lately but they were like I described for years, I must go and have a pint there and confirm these changes as its really the main reason I packed in drinking there, thanks for letting me know they've updated it, I'll let you know by reply if its all fine next week by response here, cos I can't believe it, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I suppose in fairness that I get to see toilets at their best as for the most part I only go to a pub in Dublin on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon as I don't live in Dublin any more.
    It would be very rare for me to be out late in Dublin on a Saturday night so maybe the toilets go downhill from there.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Some awful shítters in famous Dublin pubs. They either don't care, or are of the peverse opinion that it adds to the charm of the place. It doesn't.

Had the misfortune of finding myself in the Shebeen on George's St. a few weeks ago. This is a place that also sells food. The jacks were disgusting, piss on the floors, cold water, hand drier not working, purile graffiti on the door of the can.

If this is the standard that applies to customer hygenie, then what standards are applied in the kitchen?

I was in Shebeen Chic last night. The toilets in there are right up there with the worst toilets I have ever seen. They are an absolute fu%king disgrace. How these guys get away with serving food I do not know. You would want to be off your rocker to eat in this place. The owner of Shebeen Chic is a guy called Jay Bourke. He set up Cafe Bar Deli too and I think he owns the Globe or at least has some involvement in it along with some other places. He is held up as a bit of a role model for budding entrepreneurs and regularly speaks at events around town encouraging people to set up new businesses. Its a real pity the guy obviously does not give a flying sh1t about basic hygiene standards. Toilets don't make any money for these guys so they don't bother with them. I will definitely be reporting Shebeen Chic.

Just so people remember the number is (01) 8735199.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The only way you can have the toilets in a busy weekend pub respectable is by having someone in the jacks the whole time to keep an eye. Not a nice job. Agree though toilets in this country are rank and not only in pubs but in chippers/restaurants etc.. All over Dublin city centre every jacks is either used by drunken mad dogs or junkies.

The only half decent toilets can be found in hotels.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »

I haven't been in the downstairs toilets in the B&C so I can't comment there.
    My issues with the upstairs ones is that they never seem to be properly clean, they are cramped and just generally grotty with bad patched up holes in the wall and the like. Not the worst pub toilets but is that the standard by which we should be judging toilets?

Porter House Temple Bar toilets I find are always filthy.

Advertisement