Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin pubs and their not so great toilets

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bog basher

Stay away from Grogans on South William st unless you like flies in your pints. Don't know what the story with this place is but the bar is completely full of tiny little flies all the time. Am sure their toasted sandwiches must be full of them too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

bog basher wrote: »
    Stay away from Grogans on South William st unless you like flies in your pints. Don't know what the story with this place is but the bar is completely full of tiny little flies all the time. Am sure their toasted sandwiches must be full of them too :eek:

http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Bar_Flies

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

bog basher wrote: »
    Does anyone know what government authority is responsible for ensuring toilets in pubs and bars meet some basic hygiene standards? From the evidence of most of the pubs I go to they are not doing their job.
    Are there any regulations at all? Is it ok to have one sink in the gents in a pub that might be serving over 500 customers at a time? Is it ok to have only one sit down toilet (without toilet roll, a toilet seat or a lock on the door) in the same bar??

Nearly all of the old, well known pubs in Dublin that I know have the most disgusting, filthy toilets. Some of my favourites are:

O' Donoghues, Merrion Row - absolutely manky, rank toliets. The one sink in the gents in the main bar looks like it has been there about 200 years and never cleaned in all that time. Think they are taking the old world charm a bit too far here. If you are unlucky enough to be standing within a few metres of the gents you would literally need a gas mask every time someone goes in or out.

Kehoes, Sth Anne Street - The hot water tap in the gents in this place has not worked for at least 8 months that I know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never worked (does anyone know?). Probably saves the owner 30 euros a week or so on his electricity bill.

Mc Daids, - Not been in there in a little while but as long as I can remember they were always grim. Nuclear protective suits would not be out of order for this place.

Grogans, South William Street - 'Squalid' does not even begin to describe the gents in this pub.

If you are unfortunate enough to need to take a cr@p on a Saturday night in Dublin you basically have two choices - 1) go home or 2) go to somewhere like the Shelbourne where you might at least get toliet paper, a lock on the door and maybe even some hot water.

I really don't know how the owners of these places, who are still making an absolute bloody fortune despite the end of the celtic tiger, get away with it. How much would it cost them to provide clean toilets?

I heard someone say once that you can judge how advanced a nation is on the basis of their toliets and how well kept they are. Unfortunately on that basis the Irish have more in common with club wielding, cave men (who haven't even discovered fire) than an advanced nation. I once saw a Japanese girl crying her eyes out in O'Donoghues - I never found out was wrong with her but I wouldn't be surprised if she had just been introduced to Irish toilets for the first time.

Soft lad, real men p!ss anywhere. A good bar should overwhelm you with the smell of stale beer, bleach and the faint whiff of stale pish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It really, really shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Fibber Magees on Parnell street. My god the toilets upstairs are one thing but down stairs I don't even want to think about the smell! :eek: They did do up the girls toilets but they went to crap fairly quickly

The toilets in Eamonn Dorans when it was still there, jesus they were so small and just made me feel rotten! >:(

Shebeen chic is another one YUCK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Fibber Magees on Parnell street.

Forgot about that... yeah they are just one step above a hole in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Slightly off topic but I was in town recently shopping with the girlfriend & I had to use a toilet in a large well known shopping centre. I was surprised to note that I had to pay 20 cent to use it but I thought that's cool cause the toilets will be well kept. To say the toilets were bad is a massive understatement. There was no toilet paper, the mess in some of the cubicles was unnatural, there was tiles missing off the wall & only 1 hand dryer. I normally shop in Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown, think I will stay there in future. Rant over :p

Don't be afraid to name and shame said shopping centre ...stephen's green!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Fibber Magees on Parnell street.... They did do up the girls toilets but they went to crap fairly quickly .....!

In establishments like that is it any wonder so that they do not keep their toilets in order when their patrons cannot be bothered to respect them. There are some really ignorant people out there :rolleyes:

Remember the pub owners and staff dont wreck or soil these toilets it the patrons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

In establishments like that is it any wonder so that they do not keep their toilets in order when their patrons cannot be bothered to respect them. There are some really ignorant people out there :rolleyes:

Remember the pub owners and staff dont wreck or soil these toilets it the patrons.

I don't know the pub in question but that's a pretty lame excuse. The pub and ultimately the staff are responsible for the upkeep of the establishment.

If a pub isn't maintaining their toilets to a high standard they will lose out in the long run, not the clientele that do or do-not frequent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Graingers on Amiens St

The barfood is quite good
    But seriously, the state of the toilets downstairs, bleuh :p
    They are filthy and always in that state

And it's driven me and other workmates away from buying barfood there. I can only wonder what the kitchen is like. Maybe it's perfect but customers are getting a bad impression.
    With the IFSC on their doorstep the market for a lunch trade is huge!

Just get a cleaning roster going and they'd get more business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

People who need to take a dump in a pub are,unless homeless, weird. Man up for God's sake, you should have taken care of things at home anyway!. What do you now expect, pubs which are probably struggling with the recession to spend a fortune renovating the bathrooms?. Drink at home if it means that much to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The International Bar's toilets are like something out of the House Of Horrors and The Sackvilles Lounge's jacks looks like the setting from the film Saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

My point exactly, it adds character!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

My point exactly, it adds character!!!

No it doesn't. It gives the impression of lack of standards, and a lack of respect for the customer. I don't care if Brendan Behan went to the toilet there back in 58, I want clean floors, hot water and working hand dryers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

The Sackvilles Lounge's jacks looks like the setting from the film Saw.
    Best toilets in Dublin, love the fact that you're take a pish in a late 1800s victorian barrhead pottery urinal that has survived the 1916 rising and the War of Independence and the Civil War. Even though they are years old the toilets and sinks are kept clean imo.

Of course there are people who would like to see the likes of them demolished for nightclub style stainless steel bogs with no character. I know I'd rather face the 1800s classic toilet then the ultra modern supposedly clean nightclub one at 2am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The toilets in Eamonn Dorans when it was still there, jesus they were so small and just made me feel rotten! >:(

Eamonn Dorans is closed ???!?!?!!?

I have to say thou - in general I find pub toilets to be alot better than they used to be 10 or 15 years back. I think this is since that time alot of places have started to have a toilet attendant in the jacks. Now as annoying as that can be, and in principle I don't believe I should have to pay to use a decent toilet in a place serving food and drink - I've found it actually does make a difference to the state of a places toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Eamonn Dorans is closed ???!?!?!!?

ye, but it's some new place now. they did me a burger and chips for a 10r and had a guy
    playing guitar upstairs for the tourists that sat night. i cant remember the jacks, which is a good thing.
    Graingers on Amiens St
    The barfood is quite good
    But seriously, the state of the toilets downstairs, bleuh :p
    They are filthy and always in that state

It's the same story in mother kelly's, molloy's, and kate's cottage with the robert reade and cleary's
    a bit better. Le Monde and The good bits are up to scratch but i dont really like them :/

Advertisement