Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

580EX II Flash to borrow/rent in Galway?

• 10-05-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I've just gotten a last minute job and I have no working flash presently, just studio lights which wouldn't suit for this gig - was going to purchase the 580EX II at the end of the month. I've looked into buying one sooner but with the ash I'd be loathe to tempt fate on delivery times which are generally 3-4 days (pixmania & warehouse express)

Just wondering if someone can help me out? I'd travel a bit to pick one up as well, so say within an hour's drive of Galway?

If nothing works out I'll try ordering off the 'net and just keep my fingers crossed I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Xiney, sorry to hijack your thread - but where did you find was cheapest online for the 580? (I'm in the market for buying one myself)
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

as far as online goes, pixmania.com are doing it for €403 + 9.99 s/h but that's got a 3-4 day shipping and with the ash I've already had orders (of other things) delayed. I need it on Saturday, so tomorrow I'll price things out with local shops and gunns/conns.

edit: conns are doing it for €550 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

When do you need the flash for and for how long??

I have the Mk1 versions if they are any use??

sure, the mk I version would be fine (beggars can't be choosers)

I'd need it Saturday afternoon but if I could meet up with you tomorrow sometime to test it out that would really be great - you could take it home with you then, I'd just need to make sure that it works with my camera and that I can get 20 minutes practise in (I've used external flash previously but never a canon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

PM sent

• Advertisement

Thanks mikeyanywhere for your offer - too bad the flash is in use that day.

Gonna try one more time before I pay crazy money in brick & mortar... is there anywhere in Dublin that rents equipment? Even with the bus down (cheaper than driving) it might be cheaper than paying over the odds.

*sigh*

- I was planning on buying the flash at the end of the month for €370.

- Conns would rent it to me (assuming they have it in stock, I didn't call) for €100 plus €250 deposit. I'd need to rent it for the w/e because I can't get up and down to dublin twice in a single day like that, especially during business hours. Bus would probably cost me ~€20, plus I'd likely end up spending at least another €20 - €30 if I went up to Dublin on other bits. Plus there's no guarantee I won't get another last minute job that requires a flash and still need to borrow the thing again.

- It's at Galway Camera shop for €539: €170 more than what I was hoping to pay at the end of the month, but no cheaper really than renting it for the weekend and all the trouble of going up to Dublin twice on the bus.

I really hate the fact that Canon gear in Ireland is at least 50% more expensive than elsewhere in the world :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You can borrow my SB600 and Skyports if that's any good to you? Won't be able to do TTL though.

it might be a bit unwieldy... not sure how I'd hold both the flash and the camera, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible)

Xiney wrote: »
    it might be a bit unwieldy... not sure how I'd hold both the flash and the camera, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible)

Yeah you'd have to find some way of attaching the flash using a flash bracket or something... less than ideal!

Alternatively you can borroy my Vivitar 285HV and mount it on the hotshoe directly... no TTL again though, it's fully manual (and quite large)

• Advertisement

it's really nice of you to offer, PBF and I truly do appreciate it (as well as mikeanywhere's offer!). I think I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and go for the Canon though - I'd really like the help with metering just because kids are a bit unpredictable and I'll need to be focussing on them, not faffing about with a manual flash. Also I'd be wary of the recycle.

bah to effectively making a loss on this gig! hopefully the word of mouth/exposure will be worth it :o

Gotta speculate to accumulate!

GL with the gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I would like to help also, only we have a booking Saturday.
    Best of luck with it!

It's cool, I'm gonna suck up the €170 extra spent - I bought it today.

Now to play :D

Advertisement