Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghost Estates in Ireland

Comments

• gaz wac wrote: »
    Its funny, nearly every second thread on Boards about this topic, recession, houses etc has people saying " its was obvious this was going to happen" or " everyone could see it comming" !!! who ? the best heads in the world didnt see this comming !!

so to say Pat, his wife and three kids are "fooking thicks and should have known better " for buying a home, is redic !! remember, all we saw was rising house prices, year after year, so why wouldnt they buy a house! Did they know there was a recession on the way?, did people know there was going to be 500k on the dole ? Maybe he should have come on Boards in 2006 and you's could have told him :rolleyes:

I feel really sorry, for both Pat or the bloke who bought an investment house, both are people who are probaly going to be out of their minds, worrying about money for the next 10 years. I dont think people realise, that this is going to start snowballing into other areas like mental health and belive me, if you ever had any dealings with the Irish health system, you would know what a disaster it is, so this is the last thing we need.

I just wish people would be less of the though of mind of " well fook you Pat, I rented "knowing " this was going to happen, I didnt ask you to sign that contract with the bank!! at least im ok " :mad:

rant over ;)

For God's sake, I'm a young woman with little knowledge of economics and I could have told you it was going to happen. There was just no way house prices were going to keep rising and rising, something had to give. I looked at house prices and thought, 'that's bloody ridiculous, there's no way that house is really worth that,' not 'oooh I'd better buy now before it reaches a million euro.' I mean, did people REALLY think that a McMansion in Mullingar was going to increase in value year after year? Ireland just doesn't have the population to warrant all those new builds. It's not that I don't have sympathy for people now living on ghost estates as they weren't to know it would go SO wrong so fast, but if they hadn't an inkling something like this was going to happen, they had their heads buried in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

How is it an excuse. A rational decision that its cheaper to buy than rent was made based on the market conditions and advice from various institutions....

I find your attitude laughable and am delighted to see that its in afterhours because I imagine thats the only domain where your attitude can inhabit...

If you were in the position of these people at the start i would love to have seen your choice...

afik i cant see many people tieing themselves into a 35 year mortage for a ride so I can only imagine they done it to make something of there life granted it was wrong...... what is your comparrision?

People didn't think for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Touche... i will leave you with your post 86 your autobioghraphy. like i said i assume you done better and if so perhaps you would like to share the secret....

Nahh I did not think so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

It's an unfortunate situation, people did overpay for homes (though they did not all realise it at that time) but I doubt if the developers really intended to leave the estates vacant, they used the phase 1 money to build phase two etc, etc. When the units stopped selling, the cash ran out.

Rather then bicker and argue over who was right or wrong, it would be better to work out a solution - what about completing a few developments in each area and re-locating the unfortunates into these - then knock the remainder.

If you don't want to move, you can just shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

First off I think legislation should be introduced which forbids a developer from moving on to any new development, without having the previous development completely finished and ready to be handed over to the Local Authority/Man Co.

That doesn't help the people left in these estates now...but surely there are construction companies that can take them over?

Actually, there's a company idea for out of work builders...get together and finish these estates! :D

It's an unfortunate situation, people did overpay for homes (though they did not all realise it at that time) but I doubt if the developers really intended to leave the estates vacant, they used the phase 1 money to build phase two etc, etc. When the units stopped selling, the cash ran out.

Rather then bicker and argue over who was right or wrong, it would be better to work out a solution - what about completing a few developments in each area and re-locating the unfortunates into these - then knock the remainder.

If you don't want to move, you can just shut up.

Thats not a bad idea....what about then moving homeless into the remainder and just charging them rent....
    First off I think legislation should be introduced which forbids a developer from moving on to any new development, without having the previous development completely finished and ready to be handed over to the Local Authority/Man Co.

That doesn't help the people left in these estates now...but surely there are construction companies that can take them over?

Actually, there's a company idea for out of work builders...get together and finish these estates! :D

The council bond should be like a visa machine bond.... X percentage of sales should be held in reserve on top of the bond until a development is complete and then the council can use that money if the builder goes...

Even with the bond system in use now i dont imagine that is whats being done...

I agree with you Joey, where these financial contributions have gone is a mystery. Surely they can be used to help fund the completion of the estates?

Can anyone remember any of the estates detailed in the programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had a very heated debate over this programme the other night.

My argument was that while I had a lot of sympathy for these people who now find themselves in houses they can't sell, surrounded by half-built shells in empty estates, and up to their necks in debt and negative equity, at the same time no-one FORCED these people to take on these houses. No-one dragged people in off the streets to sign mortgage applications for overpriced (and in many cases substandard) houses and apartments dotted all over the country.

The counter-argument was that the fault lay with the banks and the developers and these people (who have no hope of paying these debts) should just hand back the keys and feck off abroad somewhere.
    I must admit that pissed me off as in effect it's saying "it's my mess but someone else can pay for it now that it hasn't worked out!"

Yes the banks and developers have a lot to answer for (and no, it's not right that they're now being bailed out at our expense), but at what point did we revert to being a nation of children (or maybe it's that we haven't grown up!) and do away with the concept of accepting personal responsibility for our actions, and the consequences of them?

A generation of people in this country got swept away by the promises of "free" money and credit and that the good times would last forever! Worse again, they allowed themselves to be convinced that if they reached the age of 30 and weren't on the "property ladder", that they'd somehow failed in life.

Part of this has to go back to the particularly Irish "need" to own property (probably a hangover from the days when the English landlords ran the show), but again, no-one FORCED these people into it, and the facts are that yes this "free" cash DID have to be repaid, and that there are no shortcuts in life - like our parents and grandparents, we as a nation have to realise that to get something you have to work and save for it!

Unfortunately this now means that we as a country will now be left to pay for the greed and stupidity of people who thought they could get rich quick, or take shortcuts in life for the next few decades - it's our children and their children who will probably still be cleaning up after this mess.

Of course, a better question is have we learned anything, because history has shown (from the Aftershock programme last night) that we just keep making the same mistakes over and over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

So it's up to the media to give us the right advice, lol

Everyone is their own person

in that case no one , and i mean no one should be helped - people took a gamble buying property if they win , they wont share the profits , if they lose they expect help -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Without getting off topic why is this program not available on the rte player? I pay my tv license fee ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

hello932 wrote: »
    I pay my tv license fee ffs!

Sucker!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Yes the banks and developers have a lot to answer for (and no, it's not right that they're now being bailed out at our expense), but at what point did we revert to being a nation of children (or maybe it's that we haven't grown up!) and do away with the concept of accepting personal responsibility for our actions, and the consequences of them?
    /

I think this part of your post comes closest to what people have the problem with. The banks/developers etc. (who are in the business of money and should be responsible) are being bailed out by taxpayers money for taking foolish risks, while ordinary people, with ordinary jobs who just want to put a roof over their head and are not experts in property prices (nor should they need to be) are getting nothing.Lots of people bought property before, during and after the property boom and to call them irresponsible and childish is complete nonsense imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

walshb wrote: »
    Nobody predicted this would happen so definitively and strongly..

Au contraire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think this part of your post comes closest to what people have the problem with. The banks/developers etc. (who are in the business of money and should be responsible) are being bailed out by taxpayers money for taking foolish risks, while ordinary people, with ordinary jobs who just want to put a roof over their head and are not experts in property prices (nor should they need to be) are getting nothing.Lots of people bought property before, during and after the property boom and to call them irresponsible and childish is complete nonsense imho.
    OK take my own situation then....

I'm in my 30's so have lived through both the good and bad times of the country.
    Like many others, I had a secure well-paying job during the Celtic Tiger, and like many others I too got calls every few months from my bank asking if I wanted some of this "free" money (for a new car, or a holiday, or to do some redecorating, or for anything really).

The difference I suppose between me and a lot of these other people is that I had the ability/willpower to say no!
    Given my employment/financial circumstances at the time (and I wasn't a millionaire by any standard - just an average 30-40k white collar worker), I've no doubts I could have applied for and gotten a mortgage, but I didn't, why?

Simply put, I don't NEED to own a house, nor do I subscribe to the theory that rent is "dead money". I've always said that I would only buy a house under the following 3 conditions:

- That it's in an area that I WANT to be, not just what I can afford.
    What's the point in buying a house in the middle of nowhere away from all my friends and family just to be able to say "I own a house".

- That it's at a price that I can afford and consider good value.
    Take that couple on the Malahide Road in the programme. I'm sorry, but there is no way that house was EVER actually worth almost half a million euro!!
    It was on paper, but as been now proven, that price was completely artificial and had no bearing on reality.

- That it's close (enough) to where I'm working
    What's the point in having your house, if you're too knackered to enjoy it because I'm spending 3/4 hours commuting to/from it?
    Where's the quality of life in getting up at 5/6am to spend hours sitting in traffic, or not getting home till 7/8 at night?

This post isn't intended to say "look at me, aren't I great?!" What I'm saying is that I COULD have jumped on the bandwagon (and I am very prone to impulse buying at times!) but when you're about to take what is arguably the biggest financial risk of your life (and make no mistake, property IS a risk, not a guaranteed return), there's a lot more to consider than doing it because everyone else is, or because the estate agent tells me that the prices will only keep going up, so not only is now the time to buy, but I'll make a killing in a few years too!

That was NEVER going to be the case. We had a boom through luck (based on our geographical location to Europe and our native English-speaking population), and low corporation tax, but it was never going to last forever.

We aren't/weren't the "chosen people" and we aren't/weren't immune to the cyclic nature of economics.

Unfortunately this lesson has come with a harsh pricetag, but it is one we need to learn so that the mistakes made over the last 15 years can never happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

mail4liam wrote: »
    Rte showed a program last night about these half built estates all over Ireland.

With the crash of the housing market, I watched in horror to see people all over Ireland in these so called ghost estates.

Half finished houses, no street lighting at night grass and weeds growing up through the cobble lock, it was scary to say the least. In one estate in Cork there were two people living in a half finished estate, one of the guy's produced his purchasing brochure saying, hurry there was only one house left, he purchased his 3 bed home for €280K.
    These people have no one to turn to for help or guidance over these over priced houses in these ghost estates. Prime property's, over valued and people left to carry the can for paying well over the market value for bricks and mortar.

Some people said they'd be happy to walk away and suffer the loss but for the fact that they'd still owe the Bank's over €100K and more in some cases.

Did you watch this program? what are your thoughts? did you get caught up in this madness ?. Is it all going to end up in tears?

I didnt see it i used to watch most haunted on living i think they visited cork jail but mostly haunted estates in uk/usa

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I think if you were caught up in the boom, you couldn't see where it was going to but an outsider looking in could.
    I moved here in 07 after selling up abroad. Stayed with mates in Firhouse. A house up the road, a semi, went for 500,000. I couldn't believe it. The quality of those houses were poor, it was a semi and it went for that amount. I just thought that people had money to burn or were completely thick but in reality the prices had gone so haywire that there were no cheap housing to be had.
    Late 07 I remember saying to my wife's boss that the bubble had to burst and he pooh poohed me. There was a finite number of housebuyers and all this building........
    Now, there is a whole street in our estate with wrecked houses. Everything has been nicked from inside and the developers still want 150 grand for a shell. Sheez.
    I'm still renting. One half of me is thankful I've not got a huge mortgage. The other half of me is still waiting for the prices to come down to a decent price. When I was younger you could get a house for 3 x your salary + your partners salary on an average wage. That would get me one of those wrecked dumps in my estate. The prices have a long way to go til they are back to normal.

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I nearly bought a house in 2006 (in the uk though, not Ireland) but even though I had an approved mortgage I didnt sign on the dotted line because it was obvious that the boom was finished and the property bubble was just about to pop.

I literally had the papers in front of me. :o I took a week to consider would I or wouldnt I ... close run thing it was but I just didnt think that the property would be worth 80% of what I was going to pay for it in a few years. As it happens the property was on the market for another 2 years and was never sold, it is currently being rented out.

Looking at prices from that area now, house prices dropped 15% .... the only thing holding up the prices is lack of supply. There were 120 - 140k approvals per month in 2006, dropping to 20k at the start of 2009 and around 50k now (going to drop again though back to 30-40k, there was a change in stamp duty and there was a rush to purchase before it happened). There are estate agents going out of business left and right, there are at least 2 or 3 times the amount of places doing rentals now.

I dont think the UK will have the problems that ireland has with regards to ghost estates, but things are going to get grim, tax increases and lots of government jobs will get cut are inevitable.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

hello932 wrote: »
    Without getting off topic why is this program not available on the rte player? I pay my tv license fee ffs!

It was a repeat of the same show that they showed a few months ago - they don't put up repeats on the RTE player.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OK take my own situation then....

I'm in my 30's so have lived through both the good and bad times of the country.
    Like many others, I had a secure well-paying job during the Celtic Tiger, and like many others I too got calls every few months from my bank asking if I wanted some of this "free" money (for a new car, or a holiday, or to do some redecorating, or for anything really).

The difference I suppose between me and a lot of these other people is that I had the ability/willpower to say no!
    Given my employment/financial circumstances at the time (and I wasn't a millionaire by any standard - just an average 30-40k white collar worker), I've no doubts I could have applied for and gotten a mortgage, but I didn't, why?

Simply put, I don't NEED to own a house, nor do I subscribe to the theory that rent is "dead money". I've always said that I would only buy a house under the following 3 conditions:

- That it's in an area that I WANT to be, not just what I can afford.
    What's the point in buying a house in the middle of nowhere away from all my friends and family just to be able to say "I own a house".

- That it's at a price that I can afford and consider good value.
    Take that couple on the Malahide Road in the programme. I'm sorry, but there is no way that house was EVER actually worth almost half a million euro!!
    It was on paper, but as been now proven, that price was completely artificial and had no bearing on reality.

- That it's close (enough) to where I'm working
    What's the point in having your house, if you're too knackered to enjoy it because I'm spending 3/4 hours commuting to/from it?
    Where's the quality of life in getting up at 5/6am to spend hours sitting in traffic, or not getting home till 7/8 at night?

This post isn't intended to say "look at me, aren't I great?!" What I'm saying is that I COULD have jumped on the bandwagon (and I am very prone to impulse buying at times!) but when you're about to take what is arguably the biggest financial risk of your life (and make no mistake, property IS a risk, not a guaranteed return), there's a lot more to consider than doing it because everyone else is, or because the estate agent tells me that the prices will only keep going up, so not only is now the time to buy, but I'll make a killing in a few years too!

That was NEVER going to be the case. We had a boom through luck (based on our geographical location to Europe and our native English-speaking population), and low corporation tax, but it was never going to last forever.

We aren't/weren't the "chosen people" and we aren't/weren't immune to the cyclic nature of economics.

Unfortunately this lesson has come with a harsh pricetag, but it is one we need to learn so that the mistakes made over the last 15 years can never happen again.

I think the point was that prices were soaring so rapidly that there was a panic that, buy now before it goes up again.

I have no sympathy for people who borrowed up to their necks to get the designer house with the 'feature walls' etc. Like you say people are responsible for signing their own mortgages. And yes you do have to have a bit of common sense...is a terraced house really worth half a mill?

But the ones who buy in new developments...they could never have known the developers wouldn't finish their estates. If a property goes in to negative equity that's hard enough as it is, but if the developer hasn't paid the ESB Bill to get the street lights and sewerage working, those people couldn't have anticipated that happening and shouldn't be left in the lurch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

There has been a lot of anti mortgage posters or fcuk them it's all their fault, We were wise enough not to buy, we rent, bla...

It was a hard program to watch these unsuspecting and unfortunate people who purchased the home of their dreams. They took legal advice, they were given loans from Banks for these homes. These people done nothing wrong, and if it's not hard enough for them to have the Government to turn their backs on them, now ordinary working people are having a swipe at them also, for what? for not wanting to be a burden on society and buying a house of their dreams and being stuck with a house that has devalued by 50%, and you people say tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

No one was dragged into a bank with a gun to their heads and forced into taking out a mortgage and buying their house in their chosen location, realistically all of the people involved did it of their own free will and in signing up for a mortgage, promised to repay what they had borrowed within a set amount of time, be it 20/30/40 years.

While I do feel sorry for those who can no longer meet their repayments due to job losses and pay cuts and are stuck in negative equity, these people did agree to make repayments and why should it be up to the taxpayers and governments to solve things for them just because they can no longer meet their responsibilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

No one was dragged into a bank with a gun to their heads and forced into taking out a mortgage and buying their house in their chosen location, realistically all of the people involved did it of their own free will and in signing up for a mortgage, promised to repay what they had borrowed within a set amount of time, be it 20/30/40 years.

While I do feel sorry for those who can no longer meet their repayments due to job losses and pay cuts and are stuck in negative equity, these people did agree to make repayments and why should it be up to the taxpayers and governments to solve things for them just because they can no longer meet their responsibilities?

So presumably you oppose the bailing out of banks?
    They knew what they were doing - no one forced the banks hand.

You oppose the govt bailing out the banks?

but but but, it was the home of my dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Even "low-cost" mortgages were extremely pricey during the boom. And e.g. uprooting to Offaly/Laois was not feasible for every Dubliner - for instance the commute, a need to be near elderly relatives. People who weren't idiots with their money are being affected by this - to gloat at them and put them down is horribly mean-spirited, as well as disingenuous. And obviously only done by people who have been barely affected, if at all, by the economic collapse.

• Advertisement

hinault wrote: »
    So presumably you oppose the bailing out of banks?
    They knew what they were doing - no one forced the banks hand.

You oppose the govt bailing out the banks?

I'm no economics expert, I don't pretend to be. I only agree with the bailing out of the banks because if they fell, so would the country. Did you see the Prime Time special this evening about Iceland showing what happened when their 3 main banks collapsed and the value of their currency collapsed? I'm guessing it would have been a similar case here if it had occured. As regards the banks and their dealings with developers and their reckless policy of lending to those who they knew would have difficulty in repaying, I think they should be made to answer for whatever dodgy dealings they were at.

However, the banking crisis doesn't take away from the fact that people with mortgages are responsible for their repayments, no one else. If I took out a loan to buy a car and realised after a few months I could no longer meet the repayments, could I reasonably expect the government to have to sort out what was left of my debt or let me of? I'm not trying to gloat, I genuinely feel sorry for those who are struggling when all they wanted was a family home. But for some people what they needed and what they bought were a world apart.

Back in the 80s when people were building/buying, it was common practice to move in with the bare essentials such as the kitchen, sitting room, one bedroom and bathroom and the rest had to wait. You did a room up a year if you were lucky and for many it was years before their houses were finished. In recent years people spent more then they needed to for fully decorated and furnished larger houses and had larger mortgages because of it.

gaz wac wrote: »
    Its funny, nearly every second thread on Boards about this topic, recession, houses etc has people saying " its was obvious this was going to happen" or " everyone could see it comming" !!! who ? the best heads in the world didnt see this comming !!

rant over ;)

Some of us were caught out in the previous boom - bust cycle, so we knew what to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Correct. There was so much hype surrounding the property market and people fell for it. There was pressure from developers, banks, all flashy marketing saying buy, buy, buy!

Where was the government? They are the ones who protect society by locking up criminals, setting speed limits, telling you what plant food and bath salts you are not allowed ;) etc, where were they?

Bertie came out after a George Lee show predicting the collapse accusing him of being unpatriotic, and with the famous "they should commit suicide line". The regulator was playing a gameboy or painting a picture or something obviously more important than something like regulating the industry, madness i tells ya! And this is where we're left.

If only we had a DeLorean and a flux capacitor.....

Your not following the arguement and are actually being quite condescending in your approch.... Most of the discussion is not actually based around the mortage... It is based around the fact that people have an accept a 20/30/40 year mortage but the estate they live in is a complete unfinished kip...

So really looking at your analysis what do you think people who have lived up to there end of the bargin ie continueing to pay there 20/30/40 year mortage should get in return for Builders going bust and councils and goverments(the people we elect) not having adaquate controls in place to ensure that they were protected....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

[quote=[Deleted User];65832668]For God's sake, I'm a young woman with little knowledge of economics and I could have told you it was going to happen. There was just no way house prices were going to keep rising and rising, something had to give. I looked at house prices and thought, 'that's bloody ridiculous, there's no way that house is really worth that,' not 'oooh I'd better buy now before it reaches a million euro.' I mean, did people REALLY think that a McMansion in Mullingar was going to increase in value year after year? Ireland just doesn't have the population to warrant all those new builds. It's not that I don't have sympathy for people now living on ghost estates as they weren't to know it would go SO wrong so fast, but if they hadn't an inkling something like this was going to happen, they had their heads buried in the sand.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but when precisely did you have this "vision."? It's all good claiming this after the burst. The ordinary joe soap had no real reason NOT to believe that the prices would continue to rise, now, that doesn't mean that joe soap was believing that a 350-400 k house would reach 2 million, but surely nobody was predicting that the 350-400k house would drop down to 250 and so on. That is is the issue. It didn't just stop, it dove so deeply.

I know a person who bought a grand house for 185 K in Drogheda, an absolute steal in 2005, now that
    house is worth 165 K, after rising to 265 k in late 2006....Is this person included in the list of "stupid" people?
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I think that there is some confusion arising from the fact that not everyone featured on the program was the victim of ghost estates. There was one couple at least who simply paid to much for their house and (with respect to them) they admitted as much - they also admitted overspending on things generally.

For the ghost estate dwellers, leaving the mortgage aside, it is really unfair that they are living in unfinished estates and I really believe that something should be done about it. Many of these estates will likely come under the possession of NAMA should the developers default on the loans. In this case, there are two options:

a) if the developers are still servicing the loans, then NAMA (which is really all of us) should allow them to forego these repayments for a period on the agreement that they use the money to complete the estates or be forced to buy back the houses at the original sale price.

b) if the developers are not servicing the loans, NAMA will re-possess the asset in which case they should either offer the tennants the option of moving to central estates (so at least they have neighbours and facitities) or else finish the estates themselves.

For those that simply overspent, I really can't see a workable solution which would not end up in the opening of floodgates. I would be tempted to hand back the keys and rent long term. It is this obsession with owning bricks and mortar at all costs which is partly responsible for our woes in the first place. Many continental countries get by nicely without feeling the need to own their own slice of God's green earth.

I'd rather rent and leave cash to my kids than slave for 30 years to pay a mortgage on a house that my kids will only have to sell anyway. Of course to do this, we would need a radical overhaul of tenancy rights in Ireland.

I think that there is some confusion arising from the fact that not everyone featured on the program was the victim of ghost estates. There was one couple at least who simply paid to much for their house and (with respect to them) they admitted as much - they also admitted overspending on things generally.

For the ghost estate dwellers, leaving the mortgage aside, it is really unfair that they are living in unfinished estates and I really believe that something should be done about it. Many of these estates will likely come under the possession of NAMA should the developers default on the loans. In this case, there are two options:

a) if the developers are still servicing the loans, then NAMA (which is really all of us) should allow them to forego these repayments for a period on the agreement that they use the money to complete the estates or be forced to buy back the houses at the original sale price.

b) if the developers are not servicing the loans, NAMA will re-possess the asset in which case they should either offer the tennants the option of moving to central estates (so at least they have neighbours and facitities) or else finish the estates themselves.

For those that simply overspent, I really can't see a workable solution which would not end up in the opening of floodgates. I would be tempted to hand back the keys and rent long term. It is this obsession with owning bricks and mortar at all costs which is partly responsible for our woes in the first place. Many continental countries get by nicely without feeling the need to own their own slice of God's green earth.

I'd rather rent and leave cash to my kids than slave for 30 years to pay a mortgage on a house that my kids will only have to sell anyway. Of course to do this, we would need a radical overhaul of tenancy rights in Ireland.

I agree on all counts... The one's that overspent though I dont wish them bad however I dont think they care that i have to travel 50 miles a day. The good thing about overspending within dublin is prices will eventually catch up and even if you loose everything you still have a decent bus service to get around.

I always thought renting was a good choice myself but private renting is quite expensive and council renting.... Its a matter of your kids

haveing said all that I think your bang on.

ColHol wrote: »
    Correct. There was so much hype surrounding the property market and people fell for it. There was pressure from developers, banks, all flashy marketing saying buy, buy, buy!

Where was the government? They are the ones who protect society by locking up criminals, setting speed limits, telling you what plant food and bath salts you are not allowed ;) etc, where were they?

Bertie came out after a George Lee show predicting the collapse accusing him of being unpatriotic, and with the famous "they should commit suicide line". The regulator was playing a gameboy or painting a picture or something obviously more important than something like regulating the industry, madness i tells ya! And this is where we're left.

If only we had a DeLorean and a flux capacitor.....

You can't blame the gov either, people call this country a nanny state all the time. People will never evolve/better themselves until they are allowed make their own decisions and live with their own consequences

You can't blame the gov either, people call this country a nanny state all the time. People will never evolve/better themselves until they are allowed make their own decisions and live with their own consequences

Whilst I agree with you, this lesson learning isn't made easier by excusing the banks from suffering the detrimantal consequences of making rather large oopsies!. There should ideally be one ring to rule them all, but instead we just have a collection of ringpieces sitting in the Dail.

Your not following the arguement and are actually being quite condescending in your approch.... Most of the discussion is not actually based around the mortage... It is based around the fact that people have an accept a 20/30/40 year mortage but the estate they live in is a complete unfinished kip...

So really looking at your analysis what do you think people who have lived up to there end of the bargin ie continueing to pay there 20/30/40 year mortage should get in return for Builders going bust and councils and goverments(the people we elect) not having adaquate controls in place to ensure that they were protected....

Sorry for not making myself clear or if I came across as condescending, when I made my comments about the programme I had the couple from north Dublin in mind, in which the husband accepted that they had lived beyond their means while the wife felt it was up to the government and state to deal with the fall out. I suppose their story really had no place in the programme as they weren't really the traditional ghost estate. For those couples in Longford and others around the country whose estates have been left in a unfinished mess, I do feel sorry for them and hope that the relevent councils will take over the maintenance and bring them up to an appropriate standard.

Sorry for not making myself clear or if I came across as condescending, when I made my comments about the programme I had the couple from north Dublin in mind, in which the husband accepted that they had lived beyond their means while the wife felt it was up to the government and state to deal with the fall out. I suppose their story really had no place in the programme as they weren't really the traditional ghost estate. For those couples in Longford and others around the country whose estates have been left in a unfinished mess, I do feel sorry for them and hope that the relevent councils will take over the maintenance and bring them up to an appropriate standard.

Yes I agree with you there. My apologies.

Where's all these brain stormers who have been heading off to different parts of the World with hundreds of sponsors and paying volunteers who are building homes for the poorer people in the World.

I know it's a great cause, but can someone come and start a similar project for these people who live in these Ghost Estates. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to get a project like this up and going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Where's all these brain stormers who have been heading off to different parts of the World with hundreds of sponsors and paying volunteers who are building homes for the poorer people in the World.

I know it's a great cause, but can someone come and start a similar project for these people who live in these Ghost Estates. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to get a project like this up and going?

or why not get fas and apprentices who cant finish their training now the opportunity to finish off these houses ,

danbohan wrote: »
    or why not get fas and apprentices who cant finish their training now the opportunity to finish off these houses ,

I totally agree with your view, I suggest as it's your idea why not start a post on the very subject and get peoples feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Haiti was a natural disaster brought on by no fault of the people - this wasn't. It was a combination of greed & irresponsibility by banks, developers, and buyers.
    or why not get fas and apprentices who cant finish their training now the opportunity to finish off these houses
    Amazing idea... get untrained people to finish off the work - and who pays for this? No doubt you have the logistics all worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mail4liam

Haiti was a natural disaster brought on by no fault of the people - this wasn't. It was a combination of greed & irresponsibility by banks, developers, and buyers.

Amazing idea... get untrained people to finish off the work - and who pays for this? No doubt you have the logistics all worked out.

Natural disasters do happen, but disasters from greed can be put right, no one died from our disaster.

It is an amazing idea? Where else will these trainees get experience from?
    There have been plenty of cow boys working on these Ghost Estates before the doom & gloom, will they be prepared to stand up and be counted.. I don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

if you knew anything about the building that went on here in the '' boom'' having untrained chaps finish the work might not be so different , of course they would be supervised and trained as they do the work , and as the alternative is knock down these houses it has to be win win ,nobody has all the answers ,who pays for the social welfare for unemployed apprentices /building workers or maybe they will just emigrate and make Fianna fail/ greens happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i'm gonna get some grief for this but let me give you some instight if i may. back in 99 i wanted to buy a house locally for 34,000 pounds. the bank would not give me a morgage.i changed jobs in 2000 and tried again. this time the house i wanted (in the same estate) was at 68,000. no chance said the bank.
    my family told me i was mad to buy at that price,the houses were not worth it. so i ended up buying my council house. 18,000 when i priced in 99 jumped to 36,000 in 2000.
    for reasons i cant go into i was forced to sell in 05 for 70,000 euro after spending 30,000 euro on upgrading the house.
    i finally bought in the estate i wanted for 120,000 on a 25 year morgage. by this time the houses were going for around 140,000 but i got lucky. the prices peaked at around 300,000. for 6/7 years most people were waiting for the price to come down but it kept going up. all i wanted was to buy a decent house in the area i grew up in. these were houses built in the 50's not your new ghost estates. i do feel lots of people spent too much on houses but i also feel that many were panicked into it.
    as it stands my house is currently worth around 145,000 euro. i'm happy with that of course and i plan to live the rest of my life here. a neighbour bought his at 285,000 and planned to move out after 5 years with a huge profit. i think he was foolish and will be here awhile but i still feel sorry for him as he is a fairly nice bloke who admits he got greedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Its not cool, hip and fashionable to build houses for white people... sorry..

Orange69 wrote: »
    Its not cool, hip and fashionable to build houses for white people... sorry..

Who mentioned peoples color? your going off the subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Who mentioned peoples color? your going off the subject?

He's not...most ghosts are white !! .....remember casper ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

danbohan wrote: »
    Its a nice idea, but finish them off for who? There's a huge over stock countrywide and and in many locales it's off the scale. Unless there's a demolition course, or a how to fill out a snag list course in FAS

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

The "where's my bailout" crowd really get up my nose. The banks were too big to fail, if they had been let fail the country would have been economically devestated - no money in ATM's, savings gone, etc etc. The government made a bollix of the bailout either through incompetence or fear of the FF-Developer-Bank skeletons being let out of the closets by the fallen insiders.

You, on the other hand, mere mortgage monkey, are not too big to fail. You being made bankrupt is not going to cause the country to grind to a halt.

Its not fair, but thats the truth.

I have sympathy for the people who bought into ghost estates, and the estates should be finished or knocked and relocated - the current situation is a non runner long term. However nobody forced them, there is no law in this country (though you would sometimes wonder) that you have to have signed up to a mortgage before you get married/have kids/settle. They bought into a promise, and that promise has been broken. That should be rectified.

People who bought houses that were simply over priced and are now in negative equity - they did not buy a promise. They knew exactly what they were buying and were happy to pay that amount for it.

Why do they now feel entitled to a bail out? I do not remember people who were enjoying the benefits of climbing the ladder during the boom hand-wringing about how they can help society with the ridiculous profits they were making for doing SFA.

Its a bizarre kind of capitalist/socialist hybrid mentality. I am entitled to keep whatever profits I make, but if I make losses, I expect that others will carry the can for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something

Teflon Taoiseach Bertie Ahern 2007.

People bought property in a rising market. The average price trend was clearly up until the peak in February 2007. (source ESRI house index). Buying on strength makes a lot of sense.

However, I would not buy a property (or stocks) that's falling in price because the prevailing wisdom is "they're great value now". It's like trying to catch a falling knife! i.e. the price is falling for a reason.

On the one hand, people borrowed for houses (fair enough) but they also borrowed for cars, holidays, furnishings, TV's etc etc disobeying the old adage of "If I can't pay with cash, I can't afford it"

Economic commentators expressed their concern as is their remit to the relevant people but such was the "irrational exuberance" being experienced they were largely ignored. These kind of warnings should have been taken very seriously but as we now know even our the current Taoiseach speculated himself on apartments in Leeds. The party poopers simply weren't welcome. How could a nation as small as ours declare ourselves as the 2nd richest country in the world??. I broke up with an ex in 2006 because she was adamant on buying a house!

The celtic tiger boom enriched our parents generation and pauperised my own. I have no debt (a rational fear of mine). Yet, I pay an income levy and have taken a pay cut in the past 12 months.

Look at the Elysian in cork website which "shows the positive energy of it's inhabitants". FFS!

We do have the infrastructure to become a legitimate powerhouse economy through renewable energy, but our country needs a systemic restructuring politically to make it happen which won't happen in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Dudess wrote: »
    People who weren't idiots with their money are being affected by this - to gloat at them and put them down is horribly mean-spirited, as well as disingenuous. And obviously only done by people who have been barely affected, if at all, by the economic collapse.

But, those of us who have been relatively unaffected by the bust were labelled losers and unpatriotic during the hedonistic days.

"What do you mean you don't own a house?"
    "You rent?, what a loser!"

I remember my brother bought a house in 2006, and when I argued against it (trying to talk common sense) he in a non-subtle barb replied "At least I can afford one!"

Advertisement