Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking at Spanish Arch Saturday afternoon

Options
  • 10-05-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I was there with my Guitar. Did anyone see/hear me? Any feed back would be deadly. I was up right by the arch at first but the hobbos were hassling me so I moved further down to grass towards the bridge.

If you were there and you were one of the very nice people who clapped/donated I'd like to say thanks a load. Its very much appreciated.

If I'm not too hungover, Ill give it another go this Saturday depending on weather. If anyone would like to come along and meet me there we could do a short notice acoustic music festival...haha.

for anyone interested, pm me for a link to my facebook/youtube page :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm probably just getting old but when did the Spanish Arch start to be called Sparch?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Sorry, Everyone I know calls it Sparch, I'll change the title if I can.
    [edit] Done, sorry bout that![/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm probably just getting old but when did the Spanish Arch start to be called Sparch?

You're just getting old.

aido179 wrote: »
    Sorry, Everyone I know calls it Sparch, I'll change the title if I can.
    [edit] Done, sorry bout that![/edit]
    Don't apologise, now I look like a cranky old man about to launch into a story about "In my day..."
    Caliden wrote:
    You're just getting old.
    Aw! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

'Sparch' ??? What is this D4 ...It's the Spanish Arch and keep it that way...
    I live at the spanish arch so was wondering what would have made you stand out from the other 50 people playing Guitars ?
    Edit i left out my Mumble mumble...young people ...mumble mumble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Don't apologise, now I look like a cranky old man about to launch into a story about "In my day..."

Aw! :pac:

Another cranky old man here. First place I ever noticed "Sparch" was here a few weeks ago. I too am aging, and doing my best not to do so gracefully:D

@ the OP. Fair play for having the balls to come on to ask people's opinion of you. Didn't hear you, but as you genuinely care what your audience thinks, you're kind of bound to be getting better all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

fair play op... lived at Spanish Arch a few years back but there were always lad playing guitars (sometimes till all hours!), so were you particularly loud or obviously busking ?

Malice_: okie doke :)

muppetKiller: you obviously don't pay a huge amount of attention to the crowd. personally I had never seen many people play music there. Especially the last few weeks, I've been paying particular attention. I was the only person there playing on saturday too. What makes me stand out? well I suppose I wouldn't have anything really very distinctive about me other than a strong voice and my own songs. would you suggest anything to try?

churchview: afaik everybody I know in college calls it Sparch and I don't think its a very new thing :P Thanks very much all the same, I appreciate the kind words.

[edit]
    Ladypennyworth: thank you! Yeah at the arch first I had a group of students up dancing and a lot of people taking pictures and stuff, I was fairly obvious. Then I went and stood up on one of the mooring pillers down the way. Twas a great laugh

aido179 wrote: »
    muppetKiller: you obviously don't pay a huge amount of attention to the crowd. personally I had never seen many people play music there. Especially the last few weeks, I've been paying particular attention. I was the only person there playing on saturday too. What makes me stand out? well I suppose I wouldn't have anything really very distinctive about me other than a strong voice and my own songs. would you suggest anything to try?

You're way wrong there matey..I have to pay great attention to the crowds down there as the majority are hammered drunk , kicking footballs in my face, broken bottles of Buckfast at my feet and if it's not juggling balls ,Bongo Drums it's Guitars.
    If you want to be heard and get a more appreciative audience then play along Quay Street, middle street etc..You might earn a few bob too.
    Oh and best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Again fair play. I admire people who stick their necks out and busk.

• Advertisement

muppetkiller: Your probably right but I don't think ive ever seen many at the one time. I have been out on both shopstreet and quay street. Did fairly well too Id say. For 3 hours (short i know) I got 30 euro both times. Thats without any microphone or amp at all. But going to the arch wasn't really to make money, i felt the crowd would appreciate it better and I'd enjoy playing a bit better than on shop street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Even Buckfast Plaza would be better than "Sparch".

Well maybe not quite, but you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Fair play dude, call it what you want. Wasn't there myself so cannot give my opinion on performance.. Can you embed a youtube vid here or maybe a linky??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sounds more g4 than crusty, the latter seem to congregate there more often than the former.
    if the city can not stop the drinking there they should at least provide more bins.

the mankiness of those stone benches!

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Fair play dude, call it what you want. Wasn't there myself so cannot give my opinion on performance.. Can you embed a youtube vid here or maybe a linky??
    well I don't have a video of me playing the arch but I do have a youtube account and videos of other days busking, my demo cd tracks, and a few other things... its all at youtube.com/aido179

heres a vid from that day i was on quay street. this is an original called "Over Horizons"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

'Sparch' ??? What is this D4 ...It's the Spanish Arch and keep it that way....

How is this "Spanish Arch" of which you speak different from Bucky Plaza?

Bucky only produced since the 1890s. Spanish were hangin' around the Spanish Parade and Long Walk long before then, so should def. stick with Spanish Arch or Sparch (shudder) rather than Bucky Plaza:D

Don't use it myself but sparch can be then turned into a verb.. "to be at spanish arch".

Me: What you upto?
    Eegit: Just sparchin'.

Sparching sounds like the noise a person might make while talking to God on the porcelain phone after a few too many beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don't use it myself but sparch can be then turned into a verb.. "to be at spanish arch".

Me: What you upto?
    Eegit: Just sparchin'.

Be careful, that's the kinda phrase that will catch on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

For the purposes of describing Spannish Arch for drinking at, I've always known it as sparch. And as already said, Sparching refers to the activity of drinking down the arch! (This is what I've always known it as!)

OP, a good guitar player is always welcome there, helps with the ambiance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Ill keep an eye out this weekend if you re around OP.Fair play.
    On the topic of the various names for the Spanish Arch area - for fecks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP, seeing as folks didn't see you live, why not post your links in the bands thread for more specific feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I liked that song, something I can see myself singing along to while in the car or just sparchin' :D
    Good to hear you play your own songs, not many at it imo..
    As far as i'm concerned it's a thumbs up, but as Inisboffin said, the bands thread might give you a more detailed feedback...

JustMary wrote: »
    How is this "Spanish Arch" of which you speak different from Bucky Plaza?

How many people do you know who call it Bucky Plaza ? I've heard of Bucky Plaza but never heard of people actually calling it that.
    The Arch or Spanish Arch is what's know as by the locals...As in Galway born People.

How many people do you know who call it Bucky Plaza ? I've heard of Bucky Plaza but never heard of people actually calling it that.
    The Arch or Spanish Arch is what's know as by the locals...As in Galway born People.

...or the Spanish Parade. The Arch is just the Arch, but the Parade is the open paved area.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Sparch??? That's Insania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

My brother used to work in the museum. He referred to it by the much more civilized name, "Buckfast Plaza".

None of that "Bucky Plaza" carry-on...

My brother used to work in the museum. He referred to it by the much more civilized name, "Buckfast Plaza".

None of that "Bucky Plaza" carry-on...

You mean the Boozeum ;) There's nothing of interest in that building except the roof to cover the under-age drinkers from the rain lol.

• Advertisement

cleeo: Thanks, I'll do what i can ambience wise!

bigeasyeah: Thanks! If you do see me, introduce yourself! and thats goes to everyone! I don't really care if you donate, thats not what Im in it for. I'd prefer a bit of a chat!

inisboffin: will do!

martyboy: thats the best compliment I could think of hearing. thanks!

Concerning the sparch...heres some interesting trivia...the museum part used to be the home of my mother and her familly for a few years. we went in a while ago and she remarked "wow! its the same ****ty carpet!" haha.

Edit: thread in music-> bands/musicians = http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65872688#post65872688

Advertisement