Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM BB KEEPS DISCONECTING

• 10-05-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

eircom bb keeps disconecting , around every 20-30 minutes any one else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Where are ya?

Can ya post up yer DSL connection stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got the same prob since moving here to Carlow

Line stats are fluctuating between 49/39 ATT 7 12 SNR
    To sometimes like 25/13 ATT 27 26 SNR Or even better?

Not sure whats causing this , there very heavy cracking on the phone also. Had en engineer out to check the line and he said there was he fault so not sure what else I can do. Tryed changing filters and what not, and also another modem.

I suspect its an internal wiring problem.

Its making online poker impossible.

He said there was a fault?

Disconnect everything from the main Eircom socket, and connect a phone to it. Does the crackle persist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Also disconnect your sky box (if you have one), mine gave me aweful trouble as I forgot all about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

how do i get my dsl conection stats?

• Advertisement

Xennon wrote: »
    He said there was a fault?

Disconnect everything from the main Eircom socket, and connect a phone to it. Does the crackle persist?

Sorry, he said there wasnt a fault, its an eircom account. Been studying networking for a few years and cannot solve the problem. If the fault isnt on the main phone line it must be an Internal wiring issue, tryed everything else.

Ill try the phone on its own when i get home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

antocann wrote: »
    eircom bb keeps disconecting , around every 20-30 minutes any one else have this problem?

Had the same problem when I was tying to play my 360 online,eircom guy told me to set the ReAuthentication Timer to 9999 seconds in the wireless settings on the modem configuration,did the job for me anyways!

ok so ther's my dsl stats , im in roscommon

line state - up

modulation - dmt

data path - interleave

down up
    max allowed speed(kbps) 7168 / 384
    sn margin (db) 14.50 / 17.00
    line attenuation (db) 9.00 / 7.00
    crc errors 7 / 3

Anto with those specs you are pretty close to your exchange. You shouldnt be getting disconnects as your SNR margin is good. Are you sure its the broadband connection that dropping and not the network or wireless connection?

Just to eliminate all of that first, connect the modem directly to the main socket and connect the modem to you PC using a network cable, and see if it still dosconnects.

There should be a DSL or Internet or something light on the modem, does this go off?

• Advertisement

on the modem the last light on it turns red when the internet goes, but when i go to the setting on 192.168.1.254

it says
    dsl: down broadband: disconected

i'v checked all the cables, changed the filters,

the modem is about 1-2 years old , could that be on its way out?

Its possible Anto, can you first try it at the main connection, with everything else disconnected even the sky box. If it still happens, borrow one from a friend and see if happens to that one.

Line stats plugged directly into the main phone socket, everything else disconnected.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 30.10 31.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 23.50 12.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Tryed the phone on its own also but it doesnt work without a filter?

^ Excellent stats tbh, Dodgy line filter maybe? Theres one i havent changed since i got here.

Nuxxx, could be, if you leave the modem in the main connection and see if your disconnects are happening?, leave other stuff disconnected from the phone sockets.

If you are still seeing disconnects, see if you can borrow another modem from someone.

Dont use a wireless connection to the modem.

Basically eliminate the possibility of the problem being on your side of the Eircom connection, as that will be your responsibility to fix. If however we can say that the problem is on the other side of the connection then its Eircoms problem.

Just ran a diagnostic while i was at work today. I left the router directly connected for 9 hours and there wasnt a single disconnection.

Landlord said the filters have been changed recently and the modem is new, i suspect an internal wiring issue?

Could be nuxxx, trying replacing things one at a time and see where the fault reappears?. Get new filters, theyre cheap anyway.

Ye been fecking around with it since iv been down, ill get a brand new set of filters and see.

Cheers for the suggestions and help

No prob nuxx, am on a 3 day week these days so, lotsa time on my hands. Anto, any joy?

try changing filterst ect, but was still same , but all day today it been grand , so maybe a fault on eircoms end?

problem has came back again and some other people are having same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 agriffin

possibly your router overheating.

Anto did you disconnect ERVERYTHING esle, and just have the modem connected directly to the main Eircom socket for the house?

Where are you anyway?

Oh and if you do that and still getting disconnects, are you using the new Eircom Zyxel modem? If so, then try and get loan of a netgear or older Netopia Eircom modem, those Zyxel things are best under wheel of truck or something of similar weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 daveh077

What firmware version is running on your router?

I used to have almost hourly disconnects on my router, I went and upgraded to the latest firmware which on my 3347NWG ill admit took a few attempts to work, had to manually download the files from the eircom site then point the updater at them on my desktop, but since I did that last i checked im 40 something days now with no disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

been having the same problem for 2 years, eircom managed to "fix" it once by doing something at the exchange, however the problem is back with a vengeance, at least 10 disconnects a night and the funny thing is, when i asked the support guys on the phone to check my records and do what they did the last time to "fix" it, they have no record of it ever being done.

in the end they sent out 3 clowns to (seriously they really did this) look at the phoneline in the house.

The did exactly that, they looked at it and said, no, everythings fine here, ye wont have any more problems with that.

an hour later its offline again, still disconnecting randomly

Never in my life have i been so annoyed at something i'm paying for.
    what really twists my tits is that they (eircom) advertise their broadband as "Fast and Reliable"
    Me hole it is.

been having the same problem for 2 years, eircom managed to "fix" it once by doing something at the exchange, however the problem is back with a vengeance, at least 10 disconnects a night and the funny thing is, when i asked the support guys on the phone to check my records and do what they did the last time to "fix" it, they have no record of it ever being done.

in the end they sent out 3 clowns to (seriously they really did this) look at the phoneline in the house.

The did exactly that, they looked at it and said, no, everythings fine here, ye wont have any more problems with that.

an hour later its offline again, still disconnecting randomly

Never in my life have i been so annoyed at something i'm paying for.
    what really twists my tits is that they (eircom) advertise their broadband as "Fast and Reliable"
    Me hole it is.

same thing here , i no everything in my house is ok , and its the exact same in my sisters house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Keep getting kicked off FIFA on xbox llive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

agriffin wrote: »
    possibly your router overheating.

Yeah, say this EXACTLY to them.

If its any of the netopia series its overheating, and the effects from this are subtle and can affect almost anything. I had so many problems going through the worksheets with the guys over the phones, checking and rechecking filters etc... 5 mins with one of their proper IT guys and he had a new one couriered out to me at no cost (a Zyxel one at that)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Super Drogs

I had the same problem 2 or 3 weeks ago. Kept disconnecting during the night. Then the next day it stayed disconnected. The support guys on the phone did whatever they could, then sent out the engineer. No problems on the line. It was my modem that was broken. The silver Netopia one.
    They couriered out a new one (A Zeyxel one). Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I have the silver neopia one as well. :( How long did it take to get the new modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Super Drogs

It was ordered on a Friday afternoon. It arrived on Wednesday. They said it would be 1-3 working days.

Advertisement