Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zurich insurance and data protection

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I rang Zurich insurance today to get a home insurance quote.
    When the sales person answered the phone they said they had to make me aware of data protection and my rights (or something to that effect).
    Anyhow - she went on to say that my data could be used by Zurich and their business partners etc... I though this is pretty standard, and I'll chose to opt out as I don't want to be on yet another database list that I get loads of calls, email, crap sent in the post.

When I said I don't want to be on that list, i.e. I wanted to opt out she said "No - I'm letting you know what we use the data for - you can't opt out, if you opt out we won't give you a quote".

So I questioned her a little further, and said it's my right to opt out, she said yes it is, but if you chose to do so I can't give you a quote. She said after the quote I could call back to a different department and then I could ask to be removed.
    So I politely said that's OK, but would like it noted (and passed on to the relevant people in the company) that I believe this is not fair procedure and as a result I would not have a quote, and also that I would be reporting it to the data protection commissioner.

What's people's take on this ?

BTW - I'm not a privacy nut or anything like that, but I know my rights and don't like when a company tries to bully you into sharing your data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Have to agree with ye. I have a policy with Zurich and and wasn't aware of this policy.

Sounds very strange and I was under the impression that Insurers are required by law to issue a quote but i could be wrong.

Wouldnt hurt to contact the data protection office.

Right to prevent use of your personal details

You can also ask a data controller not to use your personal details for purposes other than their main purpose – for example for marketing.

You can do this by simply writing to the organisation or person holding your details and outlining your views. Within 40 days, they must do as you ask or explain why they will not do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I don't know if Zurich are obliged by law to supply a quote, but like Cipher suggest I certainly would talk to the Data Protection Commissioner's office about it.

This practice would seem to be against the spirit of the Data Protection Act, and I don't see how they can make issuing a quote contingent on agreeing to something that the law allows you to opt out of.

Advertisement