Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

mickman wrote: »
    this is totally different then campbell. campbell left spurs and joined arsenal. gallas has never played for spurs, its totally different

im sick of listening to people here be so nieve and immature about this transfer. he is a proven CB in the premiership and champs league and he is free. who gives a toss who he played for before. when he left chelsea to join arsenal did the arse fans boo him, of course not so just wise up people and accept that he is good on a free. if he acts the ape we can just kick him out the door, its only a 1 year contract anyway but because he ended so badly with chelsea and arsenal he will be out for revenge on them by playing excellently with spurs.

i for one think its a good signing, another body in a position where we most need it

Mickman,

He played for Arsenal, Chelsea but that not my main problem. He is an injury prone, not very young (33) defender with a very questionable mental attitude. He was absolutely brutal for France during their World Cup qualifiers and especially in the playoffs against us. People seem to think we are siging Pique or some other world class player here. We are not . We are on the verge of siging a disruptive, ageing player who is carrying a serious injury from last season. I know he was on huge wages at Arsenal, surely Harry is not going to break our wage structure to sin him? On top of that he will have a hell of a time winning over the fans due to his ex employers.

Not happy with this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

this is totally different then campbell. campbell left spurs and joined arsenal. gallas has never played for spurs, its totally different

im sick of listening to people here be so nieve and immature about this transfer. he is a proven CB in the premiership and champs league and he is free. who gives a toss who he played for before. when he left chelsea to join arsenal did the arse fans boo him, of course not so just wise up people and accept that he is good on a free. if he acts the ape we can just kick him out the door, its only a 1 year contract anyway but because he ended so badly with chelsea and arsenal he will be out for revenge on them by playing excellently with spurs.

i for one think its a good signing, another body in a position where we most need it

+1 ....with most of that.

Badly needed quality cover at centre back. He wont play every game but then again neither does Ledley. He's played at CL level for years and I have to agree with you when you say he'll be on a mission against Chelkski and the Gooners. Cant see us selling many Gallas shirts though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Strange strange transfer if it goes through. :confused:

I'd say Sol Campbell is having a quiet chuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Kastielz

This will be an interesting one to say the least. If he keeps his head down and plays well, I've no problem. But who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

I hate the cnut myself, as an irish spurs supporter to see this french ex goon come in is very disheartening. I pity him if he doesnt perform well, he wud have to be pure quality in every game for me to even start to like him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I might add I'd still take him over Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Mickman,

He played for Arsenal, Chelsea but that not my main problem. He is an injury prone, not very young (33) defender with a very questionable mental attitude. He was absolutely brutal for France during their World Cup qualifiers and especially in the playoffs against us. People seem to think we are siging Pique or some other world class player here. We are not . We are on the verge of siging a disruptive, ageing player who is carrying a serious injury from last season. I know he was on huge wages at Arsenal, surely Harry is not going to break our wage structure to sin him? On top of that he will have a hell of a time winning over the fans due to his ex employers.

:confused:

world class???
    good champions league last year granted but harldy world class.

great post apart from that(sorry)

keane=cock wrote: »
    :confused:

world class???
    good champions league last year granted but harldy world class.

great post apart from that(sorry)

I may be wrong, but I think he was actually saying that Gallas isn't world class ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

whats up with transfers. Do the players not want to come to spurs or can we actually afford anyone. Jaysus signing Gallas and Hleb wouldn't exactly be a signal of intent now would it. Come on Mr. Levy get the chequebook out and show everyone Spurs mean business this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kakee wrote: »
    whats up with transfers. Do the players not want to come to spurs or can we actually afford anyone. Jaysus signing Gallas and Hleb wouldn't exactly be a signal of intent now would it. Come on Mr. Levy get the chequebook out and show everyone Spurs mean business this season.

What's up is we will only break our wage structure for a very special player, so the likes of Joe Cole go to Liverpool instead of come to us.

It has it's drawbacks, but when you look at the wages/turnover ratio at Villa lately and wonder why they have flogged Gareth Barry and James Milner in the last year (plus were willing to listen to offers for Young) it also has its positive side.

If we'd managed to offload big earners like Keane, Pav, and Bentley then I'd have expected to see the purse strings loosened a little.

• Advertisement

kakee wrote: »

Didn't know we were linked with Hleb?

“I have a contract with Barcelona and I must respect that, but I heard about the link with Tottenham Hotspur and I think they are a great club. I appreciate their interest and we will see what happens in the future,“ claimed Hleb
    Confirmation of Tottenham’s interest has come from Hleb’s agent, Oliver Mintzlaff, who told Sport.co.uk that the situation will be resolved over the upcoming weeks.
    “The situation with Alex will be sorted in the coming weeks. Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Alex as well as Sevilla. The player has a contract for two more years with Barcelona and the club would have to be willing to sell him, but both of these clubs interest him.”

Unfortunately yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Mickman,

u call pique world class, u must b joking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Surely it's not hard to offload keane, Pav and Bently though.

I still think come next Tuesday evening when hopefully we have our champions league spot we will be going in for someone. I just have a feeling on it.

ziedth wrote: »
    I still think come next Tuesday evening....
    Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ziedth wrote: »
    Surely it's not hard to offload keane, Pav and Bently though.

Who will pay their wages though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Kastielz wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think he was actually saying that Gallas isn't world class ;)

oh!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Who will pay their wages though?

Exactly. Keane is 30 now and on big money. Pav is also on big money and would demand a decent transfer fee. And Bentley hardly attracts attention with the injury he has, and serious money he is on.

u call pique world class, u must b joking :-)

Pique has just won the world cup and La Liga. He won the Champions league the previous year with Barca playing in one of the most exciting teams seen in years. I would say the boy is a decent player. If you want to argue about the term "world class" then we can do that but don't think that the 33 year old headcase William Gallas is in the same league as this guy.

• Advertisement

Pique has just won the world cup and La Liga. He won the Champions league the previous year with Barca playing in one of the most exciting teams seen in years. I would say the boy is a decent player. If you want to argue about the term "world class" then we can do that but don't think that the 33 year old headcase William Gallas is in the same league as this guy.

pique is not a good defender, gallas is. busquest also won a world cup medal, i suppose he is world class therefore as well

"Pique is not a good defender, Gallas is" mmmmmmmh. I know he is now a Spurs player but that does not mean all logic goes out the window. Are you really telling me you would rather have Gallas than Pique at Spurs because he is a better defender?

"Pique is not a good defender, Gallas is" mmmmmmmh. I know he is now a Spurs player but that does not mean all logic goes out the window. Are you really telling me you would rather have Gallas than Pique at Spurs because he is a better defender?

are you telling me that pique and barcelona are known for their defending, of course not. either are the spanish national team

pique is an old trafford reject dont forget. gallas is a far better defender, not all round player, just better defender and thats what we want from him.

are you telling me that pique and barcelona are known for their defending, of course not. either are the spanish national team

pique is an old trafford reject dont forget. gallas is a far better defender, not all round player, just better defender and thats what we want from him.

Pique is an Old Trafford reject who after leaving them went on to win all the major honours available in club and international football. He can score, pass, read the game and can keep a cool head (something i feel Gallas may find it difficult doing). I also thought us Spurs fans preferred our players to be able to play a bit of football rather than just defending.

Look I don't want to argue one players merits over anothers, (the original arguement could have listed numerous defenders instead of Pique) its just that I feel we are getting a player whose best days are behind him, is injury prone, has emotional difficulities, and with his association with his ex employers will have a hard time winning over the home crowd.

pique can do everything according to your good self except defend. being a defender i would have thought being abel to defend was most important

and i would prefer a centre half who can tackle, head and block as a defender does like dawson and king rather than a fancy dan who can dribble the ball out from the back line, what good is that

pique can do everything according to your good self except defend. being a defender i would have thought being abel to defend was most important

and i would prefer a centre half who can tackle, head and block as a defender does like dawson and king rather than a fancy dan who can dribble the ball out from the back line, what good is that

I just did not want to state the obvious that Pique can defend thats all. i never once said he could not defend.

I love that arguement- He is only a fancy dan. How many years have us Spurs fans heard that about our players? A team of Dawsons would get you nowhere as would a team of fancy dans. I know a defenders job is primarily to stop the oppositon scoring but that does not mean they cant play the game the way it should be. I thought as Spurs fans we would want this.
    You obvious like Gallas as a defender and thats great because now he is a Spurs player. The rest of us will just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We're supposed to be in talks with Diarra at Real Madrid according to the Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hey Guys anyone know when this seasons squad numbers will be released?

On Diarra would be a good buy and he hates wenger and Arsenal so will probably get on with the fans like a house on fire :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Diarra would be quality. A midfield of Lennon, Diarra, Huddlestone, Bale, or sticking Modric in there somewhere would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yes Diarra would be an excellent signing, might depend on tomorrows result though. Sevilla and Ajax are involved in close ties too, so potential bids for Suarez/Fabiano might hinge on tomorrows games too.

Dermot Desmond apparently trying to fund a move for Keane to go to Celtic.

Advertisement