Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

kakee wrote: »
    Could he not sign some sort of pre-contract agreement with us or something like that, if we had to wait till Janurary it would be ok.

By the way sky sports website is reporting that we are about to go back in for ashley young again. Was watching the "premiership years" on sky there and he was a decent striker in his charlton days, so he could play in a few positions.
    Never played for Charlton AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ luke young did,

never up front though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

We have a lot of big games coming up.. Young would be a great addition IMO. The games against Young Boys showed that we will get overrun in midfield in a 4-4-2. A switch to 4-5-1 makes sense if we get Diarra/Young/Huntelaar.

Bale would move to LB. Diarra/Hudd/Palacios would be the 2 deep CMs with Lennon/Modric/Young supporting the striker. We would then have plenty options to change things around with Bale, Kranjcar, Giovani, Bentley all able to slot into an AM role.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    We have a lot of big games coming up.. Young would be a great addition IMO. The games against Young Boys showed that we will get overrun in midfield in a 4-4-2. A switch to 4-5-1 makes sense if we get Diarra/Young/Huntelaar.

Bale would move to LB. Diarra/Hudd/Palacios would be the 2 deep CMs with Lennon/Modric/Young supporting the striker. We would then have plenty options to change things around with Bale, Kranjcar, Giovani, Bentley all able to slot into an AM role.

We also have a lot of other midfielders on the books. Jenas, Sandro, O'Hara ( if he ever recovers from injury), Rose, to add to the list of midfield subs ie Krancjar, Bentley, Gio, Modric ( injured at the moment obviously). Thats 8 extra midfielders already. I know we are now in the CL and its all about squad rotations but we will need to shift a few players before we begin to buy more midfilders surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I for one definitely want him to stay left wing, hes amazing there. 4 assists vs Young boys speaks for its self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

harry on fabiano

I think the chairman has enquired," said Redknapp. 'He's a player that I like. But I think they're talking crazy money for a player that age. In excess of £25million, that wouldn't stack up.'

no deal then, wudnt make sense for that kind of money and levy is dead right not to pay that for a 29 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Never played for Charlton AFAIK

Thanks for sorting that out, I should have said Watford of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ Defoe

News coming from Italy suggests we have signed Muntari? Even his wiki page mentions it but anyone can add that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

DJ Defoe wrote: »
    News coming from Italy suggests we have signed Muntari? Even his wiki page mentions it but anyone can add that :P

Can't say my heart's all a flutter with that one...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Very dissapointed so far with our business this summer, and I cant see that changing between now and the window closing. I just get the feeling our main rivals have strengthened and we haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with Hatch. Our first time in the CL and we haven't bought anybody. The Wigan match again showed that we lack a true cutting edge, and can anyone say that City/Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Villa/etc would lose at home to them? We've now had 2 home games and not scored.

I'm worried about CL hangovers and if Saturday is anything to go by that's 6 games that we will struggle with over the coming months, regardless of who we play or where we play. A new striker and midfielder are required and if we don't get both, our league campaign will suffer, without even thinking about the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Agreed! I get the feeling that we may regret not building up the squad further this summer. It just doesn't make sense to me. The top 4 have always made 1 or 2 big signings every summer its not a hard concept to grasp!
    And if Sandro doesn't turn up our total signings this summer is Gallas. We need to be concentrating on building up a big squad so that we can put up a decent showing in CL while making sure we finish in the top 4 again. We need to be qualifying for the CL year on year. I've been checking the papers and the internet all summer waiting for some big signings and here we are the day before the end of the transfer window and there's been basically nothing. Have to say I'm really frustrated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Frustrated, irritated, confused and mega disappointed!

I have to say though, I've a niggling feeling of anxious excitement in the hope that we might just grab a key player before close of play tomorrow.

Maybe, just maybe.

Seville to be a little more realistic with their Fabiano fee? Revenge for Ramos I reckon...

Time is ticking!

Seville to be a little more realistic with their Fabiano fee? Revenge for Ramos I reckon...

Time is ticking!

You never know, he played no part from the bench at the weekend, making sure he doesn't get injured maybe ;)

looks like fabiano has signed a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

mickman wrote: »
    looks like fabiano has signed a new contract

...and Suarez says he is happy at Ajax.

All our main targets are now ruled out, anything now is a last ditch desperation bid... very disapointing. Should have snapped up Suarez earlier in the summer.

huntelaar is still a possibility ?

if we are left with crouch ,defoe and pav and "keane" then we are in touble

Can someone tell me why we are not signing Eidur Gudjohnsen? I see Stoke are chasing him today. He played some great football with us last year and knows our set up and players. Surely he would love to play Champions league football rather than trying to get on the end of Rory Delaps throws in at Stoke.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me why we are not signing Eidur Gudjohnsen? I see Stoke are chasing him today. He played some great football with us last year and knows our set up and players. Surely he would love to play Champions league football rather than trying to get on the end of Rory Delaps throws in at Stoke.

But is he an improvement on what we already have ?

mickman wrote: »

if we are left with crouch ,defoe and pav and "keane" then we are in touble

Wouldn't say we are in trouble but our chances of league and european success would be made much more difficult, as I think we really lack a top top striker.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But is he an improvement on what we already have ?
    If we are not going to get a marquee signing then Gudjohnsen would be a good alternative.

I don't think there is much difference between Gudjohnsen and Robbie Keane. Its quite obvious Harry does not want Robbie around, after his recent arguement with Joe Jordan, no matter what he spouts off to the press about Robbie going nowhere. He also said Robbie was our best player pre season but then refused to play him. ( btw Harry should have swallowed his pride and brought Robbie on against Wigan when we needed someone to break down their defence).

Robbie is on his way out so why not replace him with someone who will cost only a minimal amount compared to the ridiculous figures bandied about for lesser players.

If we are not going to get a marquee signing then Gudjohnsen would be a good alternative.

I don't think there is much difference between Gudjohnsen and Robbie Keane. Its quite obvious Harry does not want Robbie around, after his recent arguement with Joe Jordan, no matter what he spouts off to the press about Robbie going nowhere. He also said Robbie was our best player pre season but then refused to play him. ( btw Harry should have swallowed his pride and brought Robbie on against Wigan when we needed someone to break down their defence).

Robbie is on his way out so why not replace him with someone who will cost only a minimal amount compared to the ridiculous figures bandied about for lesser players.

So you'd rather sign Eidur and let robbie go ? I for one would take a grumpy robbie ahead of eidur every day of the week.

Being linked with Steven Pienaar now according to Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Being linked with Steven Pienaar now according to Sky Sports.

did he not sign a new contratc this summer?

keane=cock wrote: »
    did he not sign a new contratc this summer?

There was talk of it but I assume he never signed it, so he must only have 12 months left. Very similar to the 2 croats, but a good player all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

We're being linked with Adebayor now for a possible loan deal paying him about half of his current wage of 170k a week. Could be a good player to have, although it would a 2nd ex gooner added to the squad!

jiltloop wrote: »
    We're being linked with Adebayor now for a possible loan deal paying him about half of his current wage of 170k a week. Could be a good player to have, although it would a 2nd ex gooner added to the squad!

Is Harry really trying to drive the fans mad - Gallas is one thing, but this fella will most definitely never be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

jiltloop wrote: »

Not a hope of this happening, way too expense for Mr. Levy and city will not sell to us. If they wouldnt let bellamy come to us, then Adebayor isnt going to either.
    Im beginning to think Mr. Levy has seen the figures for champions league revenue and said to himself, "ah sure wel just keep all this cash and spend during the summer if we finish fourth again".

Advertisement