Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in a group

• 10-05-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

im going on this saturdays beginners spin, and since i have never been in a group ,i was just wondering have any of the more experienced cyclists any tips for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

any tips for me?
    Relax and enjoy it.:)

Seriously though-At the end of the day its just a bunch of people reverting to their childhoods and going for a spin on their bikes. Pacelines and echelons can come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

papac wrote: »
    Relax and enjoy it.:)

Seriously though-At the end of the day its just a bunch of people reverting to their childhoods and going for a spin on their bikes. Pacelines and echelons can come later.

cycle in single file , don't break red lights and be courteous to other road users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

twogunkid wrote: »
    don't break red lights

agree so much i was out for spin on saturday and saw plenty ppl breaking red lights even though the road was quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

cycle in single file

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

don't break red lights and be courteous to other road users
    Correct.
    cycle in single file
    Incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cycle in single file , don't break red lights and be courteous to other road users
    Agree with most of that but two abreast is the normal configuration for cycling in a group (and is perfectly legal.) It is actually easier for a motorist to overtake a well organised group two abreast as they will be shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

blorg wrote: »
    Agree with most of that but two abreast is the normal configuration for cycling in a group (and is perfectly legal.) It is actually easier for a motorist to overtake a well organised group two abreast as they will be shorter.

agree too blorg, i know when im driving easier to overtake 2 cyclists and when cycling its perfectly fine having 2 abreast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

GOOD LINK

if I do say so myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

CheGuedara wrote: »

Posted on christmas day 2008? Now that's dedication!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

There is a lot of misunderstanding I think among motorists on the need to cycle single file. On a club cycle over the winter We had a woman scream out of a moving car window - did we not know the rules of the road, we should be cycling single file. Wrong... she's the one who doesn't know the rules of the road but it was hard to tell her that as she speed off in a moving car...

A group of cyclists in two's is easier to pass as it's a shorter line for any motorists coming behind. Motorists think however that they should be able to squeeze past cyclists in single file - unfortunately most roads aren't wide enough to do this safely & the cars end up pulling in on top of the cyclist mid line when they meet a car coming the other way which is extremely dangerous.

If the road is wide enough for a car to pass safely when meeting oncoming traffic then cyclists should just out of good manners single out & allow the car to pass - personally I hate having cars stuck behind me & always let them past when it's safe to do so - otherwise you just know eventually they are going to get impatient & do something stupid. I think this is true of every cyclist - they will let cars past if it's safe. If they're cycling in two's it's because it's not safe to squeeze past.

Cycling in two's holds the lane and car's behind can only overtake when safe as they would do if it were a slow vehicle in front of them - in theory at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Posted on christmas day 2008? Now that's dedication!

Chain oil in the veins man!
    onimpulse wrote: »
    There is a lot of misunderstanding I think among motorists on the need to cycle single file. On a club cycle over the winter We had a woman scream out of a moving car window - did we not know the rules of the road, we should be cycling single file. Wrong... she's the one who doesn't know the rules of the road but it was hard to tell her that as she speed off in a moving car...

A group of cyclists in two's is easier to pass as it's a shorter line for any motorists coming behind. Motorists think however that they should be able to squeeze past cyclists in single file - unfortunately most roads aren't wide enough to do this safely & the cars end up pulling in on top of the cyclist mid line when they meet a car coming the other way which is extremely dangerous.

If the road is wide enough for a car to pass safely when meeting oncoming traffic then cyclists should just out of good manners single out & allow the car to pass - personally I hate having cars stuck behind me & always let them past when it's safe to do so - otherwise you just know eventually they are going to get impatient & do something stupid. I think this is true of every cyclist - they will let cars past if it's safe. If they're cycling in two's it's because it's not safe to squeeze past.

Cycling in two's holds the lane and car's behind can only overtake when safe as they would do if it were a slow vehicle in front of them - in theory at least!

That's as clear and good an explanation of the theory of cycling in pairs as I've seen in a while. The next troll that appears giving out about cyclists in pairs should just be directed to your post (We've three days before TGIF* happens)

*Tim grumbles - it's Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The only thing I'd say is don't get sucked into a group mentality at roundabouts or junctions. Just because those ahead have gone through doesn't mean you should blindly follow without assessing the situation yourself.

I've seen people put themselves at risk on sportives with the sheep mentality, particularly at roundabouts.

And try to cycle in a straight line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Take into account wind speed and direction when blowing snot rockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    Take into account wind speed and direction when blowing snot rockets.

I got blasted directly in the face by snot splatter from a rider in front last Saturday (strong headwind). I had my mouth open at the time.

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If you drop something, water bottle for example, do not slam on the brakes to stop and retrieve it. You will cause a pile up of those behind you. I have seen this happen and it ain't pretty while its happening, even worse when people dust themselves off and find the culprit....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Lumen wrote: »
    I got blasted directly in the face by snot splatter from a rider in front last Saturday (strong headwind). I had my mouth open at the time.

Nice.

I hope it hit you on the nose then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Lumen wrote: »

Nice.

Yeah I was really proud of that one, tooke me ages to get it set up correctly. Snot rockets are hard to guage with how the wind will take them. You mouth being open was a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

When it's your go at the front try to keep the speed up but don't speed up. If you're too knackered to have a go at the front tell them, it's perfectly fine as long as they know. The guys at the front are the eyes of the bunch so if you see a pothole call "hole left" "hole right" "hole middle" so the other behind know. Other calls I have heard are "gravel", "car down", "car up".

If you puncture don't do anything swiftly. Shout "puncture" and very slowly manouvre away from the group. They'll all stop for you while you fix it so don't be embarrassed that you're holding everyone up, it happens. Likewise for a "comfort stop".

Enjoy it and try not to be too nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Other calls I have heard are "gravel", "car down", "car up".

And for clarity "car up..." means "...your arse" and "car down" means "...your throat".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

giving too much advice can be a bit overwhelming before you even start!
    basically toe the line, move predictably when you have riders around you, no sudden moves (with the bike) be aware but confident. The rest will come with time, and if its that important the rest of the group will let you know soon enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

cycle in single file ,

What ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Hungrycol wrote: »
    When it's your go at the front try to keep the speed up but don't speed up. If you're too knackered to have a go at the front tell them, it's perfectly fine as long as they know. The guys at the front are the eyes of the bunch so if you see a pothole call "hole left" "hole right" "hole middle" so the other behind know. Other calls I have heard are "gravel", "car down", "car up".

If you puncture don't do anything swiftly. Shout "puncture" and very slowly manouvre away from the group. They'll all stop for you while you fix it so don't be embarrassed that you're holding everyone up, it happens. Likewise for a "comfort stop".

Enjoy it and try not to be too nervous.

Well said the other thing is that if your on the front and going downhill dont stop pedaling and free wheel can cause huge bunch ups and crashes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as the OP, decided to join a twice weekly spin clubs but afraid of my life I will embarrass the head off myself.
    Did a charity 65km spin and really enjoyed it but it was steady enough as we did it in 2.5hrs

Couple of questions please

What do you eat and how long before a 7pm spin (its 40km spin)
    Do you take gels/bars or that with you?
    How close to the bike in front do you stick?
    Been in front, how do you know when to go to the front? How long do you stay there :)

Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

The group I go with are sound to noobs, they'll tell you to move up and that. Don't go in there thinking you know it all and you'll be sound. If you spot danger let people know too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The group I go with are sound to noobs, they'll tell you to move up and that. Don't go in there thinking you know it all and you'll be sound. If you spot danger let people know too.

Good job, hope I get the same treatment :)

Advertisement