Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

team lead

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

sorry if this is a the wrong forum. Just being asked to go off contract and take a permanent role as team lead, in java development. I expect to take a pay cut, but does anyone know of any salary surveys available?

Is there anything else I should consider?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

CPL (recruitment consultants) maintain a salary survey, may be of interest;
    http://www.cpljobs.com/salaryguide

Re other considerations, nothing much springs to mind, beyond that this is likely a people management role as well a tech one, something to bear in mind if you haven't done that before. Can't offer much there unfortunately, don't have any significant leadership experience myself - there's been large quantities of good material written on the topic though. Role is also likely a good stepping stone towards management (project or otherwise), if you decide to go that way.

Re the change in circumstances, you may make less in a day/hour than you did before, but on the other hand you'll likely end up with various benefits in kind (health insurance, stock, bonuses, and random stuff like gym/canteen), security and structure (paid holidays, much more secure contract terms, training opportunities/career development) that you won't have had as a contractor.

In any case, congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi,

Why would you take a pay cut?

I've been offered work on a permament basis at some point during all of my contracts. Of course they want to spend less for you to take on the same role or perhaps even greater responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hi,

I would take one as I'd no longer have to charge for the cost of running a business, leave and sick days. That being said, if it was a reduction in my take home pay I'd be looking at the package they were offering very closely. They mightn't just be trying to reduce costs, they may be trying to avoid knowledge erosion in the dev team.

If it was me I do up a monthly budget on what I need from my net salary, including disposable income (be generous), add my pension contributions and multiply by 12 for my asking net salary.

I'd also have to like working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

E39MSport wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been offered work on a permament basis at some point during all of my contracts. Of course they want to spend less for you to take on the same role or perhaps even greater responsibility.

Is right. You will up doing the same job and a shed load of extra work for far less money. Contracting is the most expensive option for companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 stvincent

Yeah i think I like working there. Agency is haggling now, trying to knock off a few thousand. I told them a nice round figure, or otherwise I don't mind just staying on contract.

I heard before you should budget for working 220 days a year, to allow for sick days and holidays. If so I'll be down over 20k even if they accept my slightly higher figure :-(

Accountancy fees are around 2.5k every year. They don't really have pension scheme to mention, I think it's 5% on top of of our contributions. It's the career advancement that's tempting me. Not sure if I want to be coding/tuning stuff in 10 years time.

Thing is though, I started work there nearly 3 years ago, so my daily rate is way higher than the market, so if they did say bye bye, it'd be an even bigger drop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

stvincent wrote: »
    Yeah i think I like working there. Agency is haggling now, trying to knock off a few thousand. I told them a nice round figure, or otherwise I don't mind just staying on contract.

I heard before you should budget for working 220 days a year, to allow for sick days and holidays. If so I'll be down over 20k even if they accept my slightly higher figure :-(

Accountancy fees are around 2.5k every year. They don't really have pension scheme to mention, I think it's 5% on top of of our contributions. It's the career advancement that's tempting me. Not sure if I want to be coding/tuning stuff in 10 years time.

Thing is though, I started work there nearly 3 years ago, so my daily rate is way higher than the market, so if they did say bye bye, it'd be an even bigger drop.

You;re paying ALOT for accountancy fees !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Accountancy fees are around 2.5k every year.

That must be one VERY talented accountant.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 stvincent

actually you are right,1910 was the fee ex vat. still expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

actually you are right,1910 was the fee ex vat. still expensive?

Yeah, still expensive pal.

Especially for a typical IT contractor, where it's all standard stuff in what the accountant has to do.

I'm using one which is costing me 1300 (Inc. VAT) . And he's very very very good.

Edit: And my work isn't a daily rate, it's a complicated billing rate which I'm currently on.

Advertisement