Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Genre: HELP!!

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm doing King Lear, Oedipus Rex and The Truman Show. I'm not entirely sure how to go about an essay on literary genre. Mostly its how the story is told using various devices. Here are what I'vw got so far in prep:

Methods of storytelling:

Oedipus Rex: Sophocles unities of time and place, masks, use of messengers, use of chorus, action happens off stage, prophecy, divine intervention, dramatic irony.

King Lear: Use of fool, soliloquies, letters, dramatic irony

The Truman Show: Use of audience (bar scene, old ladies etc.), camera angles, innovative use of cameras, switch between interview and Truman, Christof as he directs, dramatic irony

I really need some help especially when it comes to Lear. Anyone got any essays or how to write about them etc.? My teacher is crap and makes everything unnecesarily convaluted and confusing.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm not doing any of those texts for my comparative so I cant really help you with specifics, but my teacher recommended studying
    • Setting,
    • Narrative Techniques,
    • Use of Imagery,
    • Catalyst Characters,
    • Memorable Characters,
    • Dialogue
    She says that you should be able to answer most questions on Lit Gen if you have a good knowledge of these ones, and you should use any 4

Again, that might only apply to the texts that I have studied tho, so take it with a pinch of salt:)

Advertisement